PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons for electronic devices and ADHD

Mary FL
03-25-2012, 02:39 PM
Nintendo Ds
I-pad
I-pad touch
etc.

What does your family do? Both dd and ds want one. So far, we haven't done so. Ds has ADHD.

Lisa TN
03-25-2012, 09:50 PM
Daughter has a Nintendo DSi and doesn't get to use it until school is done for the day. She's obsessed with Pokemon and has several of those games that she loves.

She also has a desktop and a laptop (her dad is a computer tech and puts systems together from pieces and parts of dead ones). We've got a Nook tablet and a Kindle. She's allowed to watch The Smithsonian Channel on the Nook and educational videos from Netflx as well. We also have a Wii, but that doesn't lure her in like the DSi (no Pokemon games on our Wii - LOL). We do use Wii Sports and count that as her P.E.

Amber N
03-26-2012, 06:17 PM
We have an ipad and dd (with ADHD) got a leapster for Christmas. The advantage is that when I need her to sit still I can pull one of these out and she will sit. For example we had a dr. appt today and the dr. was behind so after waiting 10 mins when she started to ping I pulled out the ipad and she was able to sit until the Dr came.
The disadvatage is that it cause more consternation regarding when she can use the electronic devices. She wants to be on it more than I want her to and she tries to push it. But really good limits and consequences for not getting off the toy (toy is grounded for 24 hours) she is finally getting more agreable to giving up the entertainment when needed.

Robin in Colorado
03-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Perhaps read this (http://www.amazon.com/Endangered-Minds-Children-Think-About/dp/0684856204/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332800440&sr=8-1) or this (http://www.amazon.com/Your-Childs-Growing-Mind-Development/dp/0767916158/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1332800440&sr=8-3) or this (http://www.amazon.com/FAILURE-TO-CONNECT-Computers-Childrens/dp/0684855399/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1332800440&sr=8-4) before you decide. :)

Mary FL
03-26-2012, 10:05 PM
Thank you all.

Robin, I read the articles. Those concerns are mine. :unsure:

Robin in Colorado
03-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Mary, (beware: soapbox coming ;) )

When Belle was small and her sensory issues were profound, we were told by her OT "no computer time and very limited tv time until she's late teens".

We've stuck with that.

Her sensory issues are almost gone; you have to look hard to see any remnants.

Anyway, I began to read about screen time and how it affects the brain. I put together what I read with what I observed and what I experienced, and it made me really nervous about children being on computers. We have known for years the effects of tv on the brain and the computer screen gives the same problems: smaller physical brain size, shorter attention span, addiction, metabolism changes, and other issues.

As our kids got older, we began to relax a little. About 3 years ago we got a "children's phone" for the two oldest to share. Belle immediately figured out about the games and became addicted; I deleted the games. Two Christmases ago, the children were gifted with an iPad from a relative. I confiscated it. :) I did allow Belle some time on it, and she had a terrible time pulling herself away. She's better at staying away now, but still.... Her use of the iPad is very, very limited (think 'quarterly').

The warnings are primarily for children who have not gone through adolescence.

At this point, our dc aren't on the computer and have no electronics (except the phone, which is not a smart phone and is only used for urgent communication situations). They don't need those things. The "old fashioned" ways of research, of communication, of typing, of reading, of playing - these are all still superior to anything electronics can provide.

When they are older, we'll teach them to use the computer. And they'll learn everything they need to know about electronics, and more, as they explore them - just like you and I do.

I learned to type in high school, didn't have access to a computer until I was a junior in college, and yet I managed to become the pc "guru" at my final "out of the home" job. Any technology my children would learn now will be outdated by the time they graduate high school anyway. ;)

My thought is this: It's easier to loosen firm reins than it is to tighten up loose ones. If you have concerns, perhaps you should hold off for a while. Just think of all the money you'll save when you don't have to buy all the upgrades and accessories for the children's electronics! :lol:

Mary FL
03-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Robin, that about sums it up, doesn't it? So far, they've only had computer time. However, they want what EVERYBODY else has. And, when they're with their aunt or sometimes friends, they're using their devices (I-pod touch, pads).

1. How do you deal with the whining "we want..."?
2. What about when they're with others and I'm not around? I would guess same rules apply.

Thanks!

Amy Joy
03-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Robin, that was so well said.
We first noticed that technology affected our son. He doesn't have ADHD or anything, but man he was sucked in and was like pulling teeth to get him off. Then he would be so grumpy after. He's now allowed 10 minutes a day on iPad/computer. He's allowed 1 hr broken up on the wii on the weekends.
Even though we find it doesn't affect our other kids the same way, they have the same restrictions. I figure there is plenty of time later for them to learn it all, and will be very different from what we have now anyway.

Robin in Colorado
03-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Robin, that about sums it up, doesn't it? So far, they've only had computer time. However, they want what EVERYBODY else has. And, when they're with their aunt or sometimes friends, they're using their devices (I-pod touch, pads).

1. How do you deal with the whining "we want..."?
2. What about when they're with others and I'm not around? I would guess same rules apply.

Thanks!

Well, I'm pretty mean, honestly. That "we want" stuff bugs me and causes me to lose my fragile hold on my cool. :unsure: I have about 47 lectures on computers, 'we want', and such, and I pull one out and give it to them in a very quiet voice while looking them in the eye. That gets them off my back for a while, but it is a regularly-held battle.

I do explain to them why they can't be on the computer (which includes all computer-type devices), that it's not just some arbitrary thing I made up.

When I'm not around... My kids know the rules. And I remind them as needed. Their friends' parents also know the rules. And I don't let my kids go with people who don't respect our parenting. And yes, this has included my mother. :eyes:

It helps that I'm friends with my dc's friends' parents. And we talk about what our expectations are.

Belle and I were just talking today about our boundaries. She knows that because of these boundaries, she has the freedom to talk on the phone and do other things with her friends without constant supervision, and she enjoys that freedom.

She has a couple of aquaintances (I never can spell that word) whose families don't have these same boundaries. When one of those girls is over, I literally don't let them out of my sight. (more to this than I can put out here).

So she values the freedom that comes with keeping my trust and staying in the boundaries.

We also have lots of friends with trampolines at their homes; my dc aren't allowed on those either. :no: :) But my dc are allowed freedoms and risks that aren't ok in other homes, so it all balances out.

Does this all make sense?

Robin in Colorado
03-28-2012, 11:18 PM
Mary,

Just so you know, I have devices. I have, ahem, several ipods, an iPad, a netbook, and a cell phone. But those things just aren't for the kids. Rarely, I will allow them to use the iPod to play a game, but only when absolutely necessary.

So, I asked Belle what I do when she starts whining about, "everybody has" or "everybody gets to." I thought it would be interesting to have her perspective.

She said, "Mom, you say, 'If everybody else was eating cow poop covered in sprinkles, would you want to, too?' "

:roflol::roflol::roflol:

I guess I do say that. :blush: I got it from my mom. Only she didn't say 'sprinkles.' Or 'poop.' :lol: