PDA

View Full Version : What can you tell me about PDD?

Mary FL
03-30-2012, 06:09 AM
Pervasive Developmental Disorder

AmyinWI
03-30-2012, 09:04 AM
Pervasive Developmental Disorder

My son was diagnosed with this at age 2. It's a disorder on the autism spectrum. I have heard it described as "catch all" diagnosis, when they suspect something is wrong but aren't quite sure.

My son was diagnosed because he had many symptoms of autism, but some didn't fit, plus he was only 2, was a preemie and had many medical issues as well. He is 4 now and diagnosed with autism.

Lisa TN
03-30-2012, 12:46 PM
PDD is used when there are significant characteristics of autism - but not enough to meet the current criteria. My son was diagnosed with PDD at age 9 - but the diagnosis changed to Autism a few years later. When he was orignally evaluated, they felt he was too social so he didn't meet that part of the definition. A few years later, though, it was definitely clear that he socializes on his own terms and does not read social cues. The kids who were in his class during the initial evaluation, had been with him since preschool, so I think he appeared to fit in because those children were very accepting and actually tried to pull him in to their activities.

Lisalyn
03-31-2012, 04:10 AM
Mary,

You can also search for info on Atypical Autism, another term for PDD.