PDA

View Full Version : high school science? what's available?

Robin in Colorado
04-03-2012, 09:21 AM
What is out there for high school science?

Hope
04-03-2012, 10:27 AM
I have been researching science for my upcoming highschoolers. So far here is what I like:

1. Apologia
2. Science Shepherd
3. Principles, Theories & Precepts of Biology

http://www.christianbook.com/principles-theories-precepts-biology-full-course/9781594762451/pd/62453?event=WL&item_code=WW

Also, I will have them watch Biology 101: Biology According to the Days of Creation

http://www.christianbook.com/biology-according-the-days-creation-dvds/9781424303106/pd/430310?event=WL&item_code=WW

Cari
04-03-2012, 11:37 AM
We've used Apologia so far ~ DD15 & DD18 have both done Biology, DD18 has done Chemistry, and DD15 will be doing Physics/Chemistry next year. So far we've done labs with co-ops, but you can find many of the materials at home, and/or order necessary supplies. They're not easy by any means, but I feel as though they are getting a solid understanding of the material. And I like that they are written to homeschoolers, and not to those in a classroom setting.

Becky in CA
04-03-2012, 11:41 AM
We like ACE science paces. It's the only biology course my dd actually finished and learned the concepts. Believe me, we tried several. There are samples on CBD.

AmyinWI
04-04-2012, 10:45 PM
we have always used Apologia for elementary and high school science.

I first tried it with my oldest, who had learning disabilities. She enjoyed it and it was interesting enough that she wanted to read it.
I figured if it worked for her, it would work for the next two,and so far it's going well.

Robin in Colorado
04-04-2012, 11:38 PM
My dd did Apologia's "Exploring Creation With" series and loved it and loves science. However, she looked at Apologia's General Science, and would be anti-excited about doing that curriculum. It just didn't seem to be a good fit. (I thought it looked great, but we *are* a tad different. ;) )

So, I'm searching out something that is more appealing to her.

Rachel Jane
04-05-2012, 06:49 AM
http://beginningspublishing.com/version2/rainbow.htm
Has anyone mentioned this yet? We used their chemistry with Jeremy two years ago and enjoyed it a great deal. The materials in their packet made it easy to do the chemistry experiments and they were grand fun. The only con of this program is that it had a significant amount of typos and sometimes the test sheet didn't match the answer sheet and you had to really pay attention when grading. We weren't horribly bothered by that but I know some people were highly annoyed by the extra work.

ETA: They may have worked out the glitches by now.

CINDY LB OH
04-05-2012, 08:36 AM
We've used Apologia too, and it's worked well. My first dd took it straight up, but with my second dd I had to tweak it quite a bit. For example, she was interested in only the first half of the physical science book (not the second half physics part), so we focused on the first half (earth science type stuff that she loves) and added in The Planet Earth dvd series. We then called it Earth Science instead. My second dd also used Apologia Chemistry, but I think if my ds wants to do chemistry I would go with the Rainbow Science one that RJ mentioned above.

However, for my 8th grade ds I'm going with a text/living books/dvd approach. Here is a link to give some more ideas on what can be done for high school science. (http://harmonyartmom.blogspot.com/2011/09/living-books-for-high-school-science.html)

My suggestion for using Apologia is to start using it as a read aloud. When making that jump to a more textbook format, we began with the General Science book in 8th grade and read it aloud together. We were able to discuss and ponder together, and I think that made it a lot more fun and interesting. They were ready to tackle the other books on their own after that. You could do any of the Apologia books that way, or they also make audio CDs if you want to listen to them.

My first dd also used Classical Astronomy: Signs and Seasons (http://www.classicalastronomy.com/) as a course during one of her high school years. My ds loves astronomy, so this will be on his high school list too.

ETA: Another post to consider regarding science. (http://harmonyartmom.blogspot.com/2011/08/homeschool-science-things-i-would-do.html)

Hollie in SC
04-05-2012, 09:23 AM
http://beginningspublishing.com/version2/rainbow.htm
Has anyone mentioned this yet? We used their chemistry with Jeremy two years ago and enjoyed it a great deal. The materials in their packet made it easy to do the chemistry experiments and they were grand fun. The only con of this program is that it had a significant amount of typos and sometimes the test sheet didn't match the answer sheet and you had to really pay attention when grading. We weren't horribly bothered by that but I know some people were highly annoyed by the extra work.

ETA: They may have worked out the glitches by now.

We have been using their Rainbow curriculum for last year and this year instead of Apologia General Science and we have loved it.

Rachel Jane
04-05-2012, 09:39 AM
We have been using their Rainbow curriculum for last year and this year instead of Apologia General Science and we have loved it.

Did you find a lot of typos or have they sorted that out?

Hollie in SC
04-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Did you find a lot of typos or have they sorted that out?

I don't remember many typos. :unsure: We did have some labs that weren't explained quite as well as I'd have liked BUT most were done exceedingly well. In year 2, I missed that one component of the lab equip. was supposed to be put in the fridge for one of the early labs. I didn't keep up as much this year as dh took over the labs.

Robin in Colorado
04-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Confession time: My science-loving girl loves to read the books, keep the journal, do writing, do artwork involving science, raise animals, etc. and so forth... But she HATES doing experiments. That's why she didn't like the General for Apologia. :unsure: It seemed to her that the focus was more on experiments than in the "Exploring Creation" series.

Melinda
04-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Confession time: My science-loving girl loves to read the books, keep the journal, do writing, do artwork involving science, raise animals, etc. and so forth... But she HATES doing experiments. That's why she didn't like the General for Apologia. :unsure: It seemed to her that the focus was more on experiments than in the "Exploring Creation" series.

My dd just finished Apologia's General Science this year. One thing I did like about it is that the experiments are explained. So she didn't have to do them, she could imagine herself doing them! ;) They also have a companion cdrom to aid visual learners so that you can pretend experiment with them.

I found most of the experiments silly. My dd is very science-minded and actually enjoyed the independence of reading the very thorough text and answering the questions by herself. She learned a lot!

CINDY LB OH
04-05-2012, 01:31 PM
If that's the case, then she may like a more living books approach. You can still use journaling/notebooking with Apologia and keep all that other stuff she likes. Check out the links I gave above, plus she gives more links on that page. She made it very hands-on with nature study, and didn't do a lot of the experiments either.

To tell the truth, we didn't end up doing very many of the experiments either. Many of them we had already done in younger years, but the ones we chose to do were nice. So you don't necessarily have to do them all. You can pick and choose and still have a nice program.

Robin in Colorado
04-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Good points!

Heather (WI)
06-05-2012, 01:43 AM
My dd just finished Apologia's General Science this year. One thing I did like about it is that the experiments are explained. So she didn't have to do them, she could imagine herself doing them! ;) They also have a companion cdrom to aid visual learners so that you can pretend experiment with them.

I found most of the experiments silly. My dd is very science-minded and actually enjoyed the independence of reading the very thorough text and answering the questions by herself. She learned a lot!

We had the same experience here! DD has used most of the elementary Apologia science courses and requested the higher level ones, even though I wasn't sure. She's finished General and Physical now, and we have Biology ready for the upcoming school year. I love the companion CD-ROM, and that the experiments are all explained in the text, too!! :)

Linda
06-05-2012, 02:09 AM
We did the younger Apologia series as well and my oldest has since done General Science, Physical Science and is 2 modules away from finishing Biology. We've done it all at home, on our own. The labs are really easy to do at home, even easier than the Elem. series imo.

Next year my oldest will be doing Apologia Chem in a co op, it just seemed like a more natural subject to due in a group :) and being a highschooler, I think she might enjoy that relationship aspect of working w/ other teens. I'm also going to do Gen. Science w/ my next two and maybe have a friend come along to do experiments together, maybe not. That depends on the mom. :)

We also read a lot of living science books as part of their regular scheduled day, which makes the more text book approach of Apologia more interesting. :)