PDA

View Full Version : vision issues - any suggestions for us?

Robin in Colorado
04-03-2012, 12:20 PM
We just got home from a lengthy eye exam for Princess. She's exhausted and I can totally see why.

I get the kids' eyes examined yearly. I have suspected for a few years that Princess has vision issues, but all the exams pronounced her vision fine. Recently I notice that she confuses a lot of letters, not just the usual 'b' 'd' stuff, but things like 'a' and 'i'. Or 'O' and 'S'.

She puts her face right down on the page she's working on and says the letters seem tiny. She's been taking piano for 2.5 years now and still struggles to read the music (plays great by ear) because she doesn't remember the notes (the names or where they are on the staff or where they are on the keyboard, etc) from literally this 5-minute block to the next 5-minute block.

I had her wear a pair of my reading glasses and she says they help but things are still "really tiny." They're 1.75, by the way.

Today we went to see a developmental optomitrist. Result of her exam: a trial pair of .50 readers, and a recommendation for further evaluation. The eval is over $500 and will either (a) find nothing, in which case we're back to square one and $500 poorer, or (b) find something, in which case she'll be doing weekly vision therapy, with homework 5 nights a week, for 6-9 months.

I want to help my girl. But we are a single-income family; insurance doesn't cover VT; Kitty is in OT weekly for a long time into the forseeable future and insurance doesn't help much with that.

Without the eval, we don't know where her issues are. Visual perception? Visual memory? I don't know.

Do you see other options besides (a) and (b) from above?

Thank you.

Amy Joy
04-03-2012, 01:12 PM
I can't offer any advice, but I can send (((hugs))) and so I am.:group: I wish there was something more I could do.

Kelly K
04-03-2012, 02:26 PM
My advice? Get it done. BTDT, doing the vision therapy. The advice was that even if they can read OK now, if they have issues, they won't be able to keep up with the volume of reading for college.

My youngest, who is doing vision therapy, also couldn't read music on a staff. Turns out she can't follow a straight line with her eyes. Much better now that she's been doing VT. We did about 10 weeks last year and it was good. Then, I noticed she was having trouble again and we're at it again. But it helps. If you have any specific questions that I might could answer, let me know.

Kelly K
04-03-2012, 02:28 PM
BTW, my middle dd, who also has 20/20 vision now wears glasses. Her problem was that she wasn't focusing on the correct place (beyond instead of on the paper). She had lots of weird things going on which lead me, finally, to find the problem.

Like she would only read large print books, she wrote her letters from the bottom, her spelling was awful . . .

ShelleyW
04-03-2012, 08:22 PM
I don't see any way around avoiding VT. We are doing it right now. She will never fix her vision issues without it. There are many doctors that will work with you, payment plans etc. Some will even allow you to spread your appts out and just give you lots of homework in between.

I feel your pain, it is not cheap. I put off dd's OT b/c the VT told me that fixing her eyes was the most important. It would fix a lot of the other problems and possibly eliminate or reduce her need for OT in the end.

There is a great website called www.eyecanlearn.com that has quite a few VT exercises that you can do with your dd on your own.