View Full Version : to moms of children with autism

04-04-2012, 10:21 PM
A friend with a newly diagnosed 2yo with moderate PDD (on the spectrum) asked me this question,and since my son is atypical (of course all kids on the spectrum are unique) I wasn't sure how to answer her.
She wanted to know if the signs of autism get worse over time? Do they get more "autistic " as they get older? Is there an age at which things level out?

I dont' know if there even is an answer to this,but just thought I'd throw it out for other moms to reply.

In my son's case, he has gotten worse in some areas,and improved in others. He used to say 14 words total,and did about 7 signs. He lost all of those between the age of 3 1/2-4 1/2. I dont' know why. He was diagnosed PDD-Nos at age 2, and at age 4 1/2 severe autism. I have been told a hallmark of true autism is losing skills. But other things in my son have improved, his eye contact for one, and his ability to communicate using PECS, and /or grabbing my hand pulling me to something. some of his stimming behaviors are lessened,too. Other new behaviors started showing up recently. :unsure:

04-04-2012, 10:50 PM
I truly think that starting interventions early are what keeps kids on the spectrum from getting progressively worse now. Twenty years ago, no therapies meant the kids grew up without learning how to cope with sensory issues, how to learn, etc., so they made no growth, no progress.

I do know that it is typical for spectrum kids to regress off and on. We've experienced that and our dev ped told us it was typical to regress, but therapies should continue and they eventually level off. We saw moderate regression followed by a huge growth period over about a 12 month time frame. BTW, our regression was about the same time--around age 4.

Lisa TN
04-05-2012, 10:13 PM
My son is now 22 and his behaviors were severe and his language skills extremely limited as a small child. Once he finally started talking (around age 5) the behaviors substantially subsided. Even when he had limited communication skills, there were consequences for his actions. I had an in-home daycare and had no clue he had autism (so little was known about it back then) and sometimes wonder if I would have let things slide more had I known.

Over the years, there has been some regression of skills - when he hit puberty and when he had major health crises (ulcerative colitis, frequent hospitalizations, blood transfusions, surgeries). He usually regained those skills quickly, though.

As far as behaviors - if he doesn't want to do something, it's a lot harder now that he's over 6 feet tall but he still respects authority (and unfortunately, any adult seems to be an authority figure which is a problem in and of itself) and will usually do as asked after he understands why or that there will be consequences for not doing so.