PDA

View Full Version : anybody else down to only one child left at home?

WendyW
04-05-2012, 11:47 AM
My ds1 is off to college this fall, and ds2 will be in 7th grade at home. After having his big bro for an almost constant companion, he will be on his own all day, every day. We are committed to homeschooling through 8th grade, and then he will have the choice to attend the high school full time, or part time like his brother did.

I'm envisioning a very quiet house, with a very lonely boy in it! I don't like that picture.

If you only have one left, how did your schooling change, and what have you done to encourage his/her friendships? It seems like most of the other schoolers of big kids no longer have time to do much socializing. Their kids are tied up with heavier loads of work and more demanding outside commitments.

Rachel Jane
04-05-2012, 12:41 PM
J will be going to college next year and I plan on continuing to HS Luke just as I have been with both of them. I hadn't thought abut the loneliness factor. Maybe I will encourage him to go someplace every day like orchestra, karate, theater...whatever.

Heather (WI)
06-05-2012, 12:46 AM
Well, we've always only had one at home (because we only have one!) ;)

But, she gets plenty of socialization time with our local homeschool group (which has over 150 familes and a separate teen group that does lots of fun stuff together), 2 orchestras, karate, and regular get-togethers with other homeschool friends.