PDA

View Full Version : Bike Riding

Jennifer in VA
04-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Not sure how many of you have special needs kids who haven't learned to ride a bike, but thought I'd share our experience with "Loose Those Training Wheels", an organization designed to help these kids ride a bike.

Here's my blog post (http://ourhomeschoolingexperience.blogspot.com/) about it. If there is a camp held near you, it might be what you are looking for!

Christi in OH
04-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Cool. I'll have to look into that.

Veronica is getting a bike for her birthday, she is very small still and won't be leaving our fenced in yard for a long while yet.

I love to go for rides with the kids, right now I have two in the cart and one in a seat at the back. That is a pretty heavy load to be pulling around. I keep thinking I need to hook the cart to my oldest bike and let him lug them around. ;) Just kidding of course.

Jennifer in VA
04-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Could that count as a P.E. credit for him, going biking with a cart in tow! Hit a couple gradual hills and it would be a work out.:lol:

Veronica has Downs right? There were was one kid there this week who was just getting onto a two wheeler this morning. He seemed quite pleased with himself. The one thing I didn't mention in my blog was that they have special handles that attach to the back of the bike so that it's easier to help the kid. They also sell them so you can attach it to your own bike if they need a bit more help after the camp is over.

WendyW
04-06-2012, 06:02 PM
There was a similar program held at a local school last summer, and a friend's dd with Down's learned to ride then. The girl was SO THRILLED to be able to go for rides around town with her siblings.

Jennifer in VA
04-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Follow-up of sorts!

After visiting 9 stores looking for just the right bike, we finally found one! Some of the nine was visiting the same store, but a different location as the stock may change some. We did have a bike, but it couldn't have breaks fitted unless we wanted to spend about $75 more dollars and wait till next Tuesday for the parts to be ORDERED. That bike was returned yesterday and one ordered from Sears, sight unseen.:eek::eek: but for less overall dollars.

Today at Wal-mart, saw a new one that had just been put on display (was by myself). Light blue and white, right size, a few gears, and hand breaks - which is the style oldest learned to ride with. This one was also $13 dollars cheaper than the one ordered. Talked to hubby and he agreed to let Simon take a look and cancel the order. We had a winner and order has been canceled. It was such a joy to see him "take off" in our church parking lot, weaving in and out of the mini islands and being careful of cars coming in or already parked.:clap::clap: