PDA

View Full Version : Let's update!

Marcia
04-10-2012, 03:41 PM
So, how is this year going for everyone? How are your high school and college-age children doing?

My oldest, Levi, is almost done with his first year at community college. His first semester did not go well, and he ended up dropping all his classes.:unsure: He did not know if he wanted to return, but after a few months of going to counseling and getting some help with some anxiety issues he had, he decided to give it another go.:) He had a great second semester and is also working about 24-28 hours at a job he really likes. He changed his interests and has now decided he wants to go into advertisement. He is trying to do an internship this summer. We are praying it works out for him. He also joined an 18 and over men's hardball baseball team. After a rocky Fall, he seems to be settling in and doing well.

My next child, Lydia, graduates next month. :hcry: She looked into several colleges and got accepted, but she also has decided to do two years of community college before going to a four year. Her main reason is money. She doesn't want student loans. She loves her job also and was just made supervisor. She works for a recycle clothing store that is very popular in our area. She wants to go into business and fashion, so she is on the right track.

It's been interesting having adult children in our home and the next few years will be even more interesting, I'm sure. :crazy: :spin:

My two youngest are a bit ahead in their credits and studies, so it looks like Abby will be finished after next school year (2013), and Anna will follow the following year (2014). So, yes, that means all four graduated four years in a row. :spin: Next school year Abby and Anna will take a variety of classes at home, at community college, and at our co-op.

Right now Abby wants to be a Psychiatrist, and Anna wants to do some type of film production/magazine editor/ writer/ graphic art/documentary maker/ something or other. :lol:

So, how's it going with your older students?

Rebe
04-10-2012, 05:03 PM
So glad you posted this. :yes: I'd love to hear how everyone's year has gone with their teens.

Marcia, I read about Levi's year in the Prayer room and I want to thank you for sharing that. I'm sorry he had a rough first semester, but it sounds like he's on a great track now.

My oldest is about to turn 16 and is finishing 10th grade. It's been a good year, but I've seen a lot of ... (let's be blunt and tell it like it is here) laziness that I don't like at all. He's smart. But he's not motivated to do anything he doesn't want to do. He's been that way since he was a toddler, I guess. So I've struggled with wondering if it's just his age and he'll soon mature, or if it's a personality thing and he'll still be living in my basement when he's 30. :unsure: But he's doing pretty well in his classes and wants to take even more classes next year at the learning center. I'm all for that, if we can afford it. It's been great having him on someone else's schedule and being accountable to another teacher for some of his work. He doesn't know what he wants to do with college or career, but he loves history, the arts, drawing, and graphic design.

My dd is 13 and is extremely on top of things in her life (except cleaning her room). She's doing great in every class, loves the learning center, does really well at home, and is pretty much just an ideal student. Not bragging, but she just is. :D She loves to write and she wants to be an author.

Colleen OH
04-11-2012, 12:19 AM
My oldest ds is 22 now. Married 2.5 years. No dc yet. Is busy as ever with his diesel truck business. Just took on a 3rd employee. Debt free and works like a mad man.

My 20yodd helps us, does some volunteer work, and does some foster care baby sitting. She is a fine young woman. Aspiring wife and mother but nothing in vogue there yet. :)

Ds19 works for a siding and spouting company. Works long hours for a good wage. Has a lovely girlfriend.

Ds17 works for our home business. She does some volunteer work like dd20. Not sure if she has solid plans for what her future looks like, but she is a very confident and diligent young lady.

Dd16 works for us, too. Has a little photography that she does besides sitting with her books.

Ds13 has become our machinery repair man. He also buys and sells anything from lawn mowers to tractors to vehicles. Struggles with school work. I am sure he will probably pursue some line of work that is in line with his skills, very likely self employed.

Ds12 & Ds12 work a couple hours a day at neighbors. They buy/sell/repair small engine equipment when they aren't at school work.

The youngest 5 are in training.

Leslie Nelsen
04-11-2012, 12:49 AM
Christopher is close to finishing his first year in college. He has LOVED the whole experience. He has a wonderful roommate (another homeschooler that we met via my blog!). He is very involved in Cru (Campus Crusade for Christ) and leads a Bible study with some 9th graders. He also remains active with our church.

He went into college planning to go to med school, but after a terrible chemistry experience has changed his mind. He is in a program that allows you to explore several different majors your first year and then choose at the end of the year. This has been a great fit for him - and it keeps him on track (hopefully) to graduate in 4 years. He is planning to go on a missions project this summer with Cru.

I've been very excited to see how he has grown and matured this year - especially his faith. School has been more challenging than perhaps he expected, but I'm proud of him and all that he has learned from the experience.

Rebecca, 16, is finishing 10th grade and not sure what she wants to do at this point. She is thinking of taking some online classes or some at the community college as she sorts things out. She really enjoys drama and looks forward to one day (not too soon) being a wife and mother. She is a hard worker and very motivated and a delight to teach. I don't even like thinking that she will be graduating soon ... so I'm just not going to think about that right now. ;)

Joy in Alabama
04-11-2012, 06:57 AM
My 30 yo graduated when he was 16. The plan was to start college right away and be finished by the time he was 20 or 21. :sad: He had piddled around with college and has never finished, but has a good job in missions. He has a girlfriend who he is wanting to marry and she has motivated him to work on college again! :clap: He has been offered a church to pastor in our denomination (United Methodist) and he'll be required to go to school in order to keep his church, so we're hopeful that he'll go full-steam ahead and finish. We're don't make our kids go to college, but he's really smart and never even has to study - even in college - so we really wanted him to finish on up.

Katie is 26 and is doing College Plus. She's taking a break right now because she's a church secretary and is also temporarily teaching 5yo kindergarten at the same church until the end of the year. She'll graduate sometime in the fall, probably.

Daniel is 24 and is a househusband. He is thinking about college, but hasn't made a decision yet.

Rachel (22) has a job and teaches fiddle. At this point, college is not a serious consideration.

Emily (19) should graduate from college by the end of fall. She's trying to decide which seminary she'll attend and plans to go into the ministry.

Anna (17) is being trained as a manager at Chick-fil-A. She's doing College Plus, working on a business management degree (she has just started this semester).

Carrie (15) has just finished up 9th grade and is taking a break. She'll start school again in a few weeks. Her school went well this year and she's still trying to decide what she'd like to be - possibly something to do with cooking. She's very good with her hands, very creative.

wende
04-11-2012, 10:31 AM
I have one teen and one soon to be teen.

DD14 takes away all my fun in planning units because she is a very self motivated learner. Her passion is herbal medicine, and that is what she spends most of her time studying. She is currently looking into Master Herbalist certification programs.

DD12 would much rather be working with her hands than working on paper. She requested quick and dirty workbooks for the basics so she can get on with the things she wants to do (cooking, baking, sewing, drawing, gardening, working with dad, animal care, etc. etc.)

Marcia
04-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Love reading about everyone's teens. :)

Wende, your kids sound so interesting!

Colleen OH
04-11-2012, 11:45 AM
I have one teen and one soon to be teen.

DD14 takes away all my fun in planning units because she is a very self motivated learner. Her passion is herbal medicine, and that is what she spends most of her time studying. She is currently looking into Master Herbalist certification programs.

DD12 would much rather be working with her hands than working on paper. She requested quick and dirty workbooks for the basics so she can get on with the things she wants to do (cooking, baking, sewing, drawing, gardening, working with dad, animal care, etc. etc.)
Thanks for sharing that, Wende. Sometimes I feel a little in the minority with my dc being as they are. They aren't the ones sitting there hanging onto all the fun things *I* might plan for them. They aren't the super studious academic types. They'd rather go and LIVE a life than to do school and my older ones aren't the ones heading off to college.

wende
04-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Thanks for sharing that, Wende. Sometimes I feel a little in the minority with my dc being as they are. They aren't the ones sitting there hanging onto all the fun things *I* might plan for them. They aren't the super studious academic types. They'd rather go and LIVE a life than to do school and my older ones aren't the ones heading off to college.

Colleen,
Your children sound like they are well rounded and thriving. I'm always impressed with their independence and resourcefulness. Good for you! :clap:

Tricia in TX
04-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Bryce - Graduated in '10 with 30(ish) college credits because of duel credit. He then went to Fire Academy and took EMT classes. He's working for a hospital construction co and taking 2 classes this semester. He needs those two classes so he can start the Paramedics program (an associates degree program). Once he finishes the Paramedics program, he'll be certified to be a Fireman nationally, and he'll be an EMT and Paramedic. He still has to take the EMT national registry test this summer before he can start the paramedics program in the fall.

Gunnar - He's been a struggle. He's dyslexic and has dyscalculia terribly. He's managed to over come most of the trouble with reading and writing (though he'll never spell well) but math is eating his lunch. The goal is just to get him through college algebra. He's having to take almost every DMAT class twice. It's hard, but he's persevering. While he will be 18 this summer, next year is officially his senior year. He is planning to get his HVAC certifications at the local community college (while still plugging along with the math classes). Then he wants to take the EMT classes after he graduates and go to Fire Academy. That way he can be a fireman and have an HVAC business on the side. Right now he runs his own lawn business with his own equipment and contract employees and he works at a local auto shop as a 'shop monkey'.

Evelyn - She is only 14, will be 15 this summer, but I am realizing she's my highly academic child. I think we're going to try a few classes at the local community college (the same one her brother is at) in the fall. Probably English and Spanish. We'll see how she does with them. All the classes she is taking at our Co op are with the 11th and 12th graders and she's top of the class. I think she'll do really well at the CC (I thank God He gave me 1 book-smart child! Otherwise I might think I was a lousy teacher! :D)

Kimberly Kane in La.
04-11-2012, 01:00 PM
My eldest daughter is on her way to Admitted Student Day at PHC as I type.
She has always loved the written word and dreams of becoming a published author. Her first novel is at a publisher's right now and we are praying they love it enough to want to publish it. Whatever she ends up doing, it will involve literature and writing. I have encouraged her to pursue some students for private tutoring. She would do very well working one-on-one with someone looking to improve their writing or needing help with lit analysis (her geeky love!)

My son will turn 13 next month...when did that happen? He is gifted musically and has fleeting visions of being the next Jon Foreman (Switchfoot) or Michael Gungor. However, his desire to have a family life one day tempers those dreams. ;) He will most likely follow in my dh's footsteps and pursue a degree in engineering. I believe he would make a stellar lawyer or doctor, but as young as he is, he doesn't feel a pull towards those yet. I believe in just a short time we will be making a trip to Texas to visit LeTourneau and see how to tailor his high school to their requirements.

My younger girls are still in the princess ballerina mommy artist stages. Thank the Lord for allowing me to live these phases again.

CINDY LB OH
04-11-2012, 01:20 PM
So fun reading everyone's stories :clap:

My dd20 is a sophomore at Cornerstone University in Grand Rapids, MI, 6 hours away from home. She is a Worship Arts/Voice major and really enjoys her classes; most of them anyway, unless she has to write a research paper :lol: She is a champ at procrastination (always was), but is doing great with her college classes. She has learned to be more organized, though she still puts things off too long and suffers at the end of each semester. She's determined though, which is what I like to see. She also delivers the campus newspaper to give her some spending money on the side.

My dd17 graduates high school this year. She spent her junior and senior years at the county career center in their culinary arts program. She will be attending Ashland University (OH) in the fall, only an hour and 15 minutes away, as a theater major for the time being. She's also interested in fashion merchandising. She spends most of her free time at the dance studio and community theater where she has been an intern, and has a job interview tomorrow for a cashier. I'm hoping her culinary skills will land her a job at the campus restaurant or cafeteria. She's very excited about college.

I secretly wish my girls would have preferred the community college route (for financial reasons), but they both wanted 4-year college. Unfortunately it's meant student loans for them, but thankfully they are relatively small.

I love hearing everyone's stories. It's fun to see all the different personalities and tracks each person has taken. Success comes in many different packages.

Merrilee Morse
04-11-2012, 01:25 PM
Frankly, I am very encouraged to hear that some of your students have struggled with college. I was embarassed to admit it, but DJ has not done well thus far. He ended up dropping most of his classes mainly due to his ongoing struggles with math. He has changed his major twice and I think at this point he is going to get a part time job and just do classes on a part time basis. He needs to get grounded and this may be the best way for him.

Tricia in TX
04-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Frankly, I am very encouraged to hear that some of your students have struggled with college. I was embarassed to admit it, but DJ has not done well thus far. He ended up dropping most of his classes mainly due to his ongoing struggles with math.

Just yesterday Gunnar told us that he got a 75% on his math test in the developmental math class he is taking for the 2nd time. I was SO happy! Never have Dave and I been so happy to see a grade of 75%! We all celebrated. :lol:

I am convinced that math is a result of the fall of man. :lol:

AmyinWI
04-11-2012, 10:25 PM
my 18yo dd is currently enrolled in Collegeplus! and is working towards a degree in psychology. She started about a year ago,and has about 40 credits now. Not going as fast as I'd hoped,but she is working alot also. She works as an ABA therapist with children with autism,and also in a day care part time.

my 16yo is a sophomore and looking into a career in physcial fitness or physical therapy. He just got his drivers license and works part time at the local grocery store.

I have one starting 8th grade in the fall. She was one of my youngest tag along rowers when I started homeschooling 11 years ago..and now she is one of the oldest of my gang. :hcry: my how time flies!

Merrilee Morse
04-12-2012, 04:46 PM
I just realized I said all the negative and none of the positive. Ryan is doing really well with high school work, and has even asked for more challenging literature! Best part; my autistic Ryan who I never could quite "read" so far as his relationship with the Lord has suddenly begun talking openly about his walk, and is signed on for a mission trip this summer. I am excited for him!:clap:

Marcia
04-12-2012, 07:01 PM
I just realized I said all the negative and none of the positive. Ryan is doing really well with high school work, and has even asked for more challenging literature! Best part; my autistic Ryan who I never could quite "read" so far as his relationship with the Lord has suddenly begun talking openly about his walk, and is signed on for a mission trip this summer. I am excited for him!:clap:

:clap::group:

Cari
04-12-2012, 07:08 PM
DD18 will be my first graduate in just two short months. I've been here like forever, it seems (although I know some of you have me beat). By the end of the semester, she will have 12 credits through dual-enrollment at our community college, and will most likely enroll there full-time in the fall. She hasn't had the easiest time of it, and isn't quite sure what she wants to do; she has some interest in nursing but not quite the "I want this so much I will do absolutely whatever it takes" kind of passion that she would need to get through it. We'll see. Meanwhile, she works 25-30+ hours a week at Chick Fil A, has a small photography business, and will be spending her summer working at a nearby Christian camp.

DD15 could be my academic star if she would apply herself. But it appears that may be too much to ask :unsure:. She has raised the possibility of engineering, and doing the extra coursework in math/science that she would need to prepare for college. She has the ability. The discipline? Don't know. Her other interests include working with children, and her true passion, baking. But she isn't sure she wants to make a career of any of those. She'll probably take a class or two at community college as well in the fall.

And my two little guys are just chugging along happy as can be :)!

Joy in Alabama
04-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Meanwhile, she works 25-30+ hours a week at Chick Fil A, has a small photography business, and will be spending her summer working at a nearby Christian camp.

I have 3 girls who work at Chick-fil-A, too! :cool:

tracy
04-13-2012, 11:42 AM
Hi FIAR friends :hi:

Well, in 2 short months I will be saying I have 2 high school graduates. It's bitter sweet. I am thrilled for them but at the same time I want to cuddle with them in our big chair and read one of our favourite FIAR books again.... and again. Not one day passes that I regret my decision to home school them. :hcry: Alrighty then, so here is where our home is at:

Chelsea 18 = graduating high school, has part time job, active in Girl Scouts, on her school's swim team, will be attending Northern Arizona University to study Exercise Science - Physical Therapy - Athletic Training. Received a scholarship. Chose NAU for the tough Athletic Training program.

Forrest 17 = graduating high school (skipped 6th grade), tutors in math and science, just earned his Boy Scout Eagle Award, lead designer and driver on his school's robotic team, will be attending Baylor University to study in 2 areas: Mechanical Engineering & Math. Received and earned a hefty academic scholarship. Chose Baylor for the opportunity to study religion and theology.

Marissa 14 = graduating 8th grade, has babysitting job working with a little girl with Asperger Syndrome, enjoys photography and writing which led to create her own blog, has worked hard to overcome and work through her own diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome. On her own she requested a re-evaluation which determined that she is a high functioning Aspie that has been able to learn how to navigate her world and work through tough situations like a neuro-typical individual. Of all my children, she is the one I am most proud of because she had the most to overcome and has had to work the hardest. She is academically brilliant, and now she has a bright, happy, beautiful and engaging personality. Her favourite thing to hear is when friends and strangers say "wow, I had no idea you have autism". She truly is amazing and gorgeous. She thinks she may want to be a teacher or doctor.

Hampton almost 13 = graduating 7th grade, studies and can speak Farsi language, wrestler on a competitive wrestling team. He thinks he may want to study computer engineering or computer design. Absolutely enjoys being a big brother.

Sterlyn 3 = Along with loving his dog he loves basketball and spends most of his day shooting hoops, drawing basketballs and hoops. He just had his last every 6month evaluation and has moved off the autism chart. He and I have worked hard and his improvement is wonderful. He has made great strides and his future is so bright.

Linda
04-13-2012, 04:00 PM
What a fun thread. I love catching up w/ all of you and seeing where your "little" rowers are now. We've been here a long time, and w/ my oldest only being 2 :), so all of your now big kids were just little tykes when we started. I have really enjoyed watching them all grow up alongside you. :)

Emily 14 - graduating from 8th grade. She is my enigma. :) She loves writing, art and music AND enjoys anything science. :crazy: Physics is her current love and she thinks she will be pursuing that path. (something she will have to get help from aside from me. ;) ) She also has been saying how much she loves Algebra. I truly do not understand this girl. ;) We are going to continue down the homeschooling path for highschool and are weighing our different options. We will do dual enrollment at some point, just not for her freshman year.

Anna 12 (13 in July)- finishing up 7th grade. She is my 2E daughter. She is highly gifted but struggles w/ unidentified learning disabilities. Any therapy we've put her in hasn't really helped in the long run. :spin: She still struggles w/ reading. She can read well and comprehends very deep concepts, she's just a very slow reader. Very, very slow. :spin: Math is even worse. :perplex: Writing is another struggle. She is a horrendous speller and writes as slow as she reads and processes math. Because of that, she rarely tries. *sigh* We're praying and trying new approaches to find something that will help her get it. She is an amazingly gifted artist. Her drawings and miniature (we're talking mini miniatures) clay figurines are beautiful. Such careful detail, I don't know how she does it. She still has in her heart to be a nanny, which she will be amazing at. Such a sweet and gentle spirit. She has a lot of anxiety though which keeps her from trying most babysitting jobs that come her way. Another area we are praying and working through.

Rebecca almost 11 - will be 6th grade and officially out of our FIAR studies. She is quick, bright and flashes through her school work in no time, and it shows. :perplex: I'm working on getting her to slow it down a bit and actually turn in quality, legible work! (which has a side bonus of being more accurate. What a crazy concept! LOL)

CJ
04-16-2012, 10:47 AM
18yod graduates in 6 weeks. She has info coming from a few community colleges, but hasn't made any firm decisions yet. I wish there was one in our town. There are 2 an hour away in each direction. She's thinking about nursing, pharmacy assistant, dental assistant, medical office, or banking. She's still job shadowing and that's going really well. If she doesn't decide to start classes this fall, she may locate or generate an unpaid internship to do this fall. She finished her book and we'll get it printed this month. Her screen plays are also printed out.

16yod is a little behind, but catching up. She is teaching lessons, performing around town and continuing to compose and record her music (guitar, ukulele, voice). She's also making and selling duct tape wallets, duct tape flower pens and Sculpey clay earrings of mushrooms and tacos and other cute miniature items. They're adorable. She's almost finished with her 2nd book and 4 episodes away from finishing her first season of her tv show screenplay.

13yos will enter high school in the fall. He is working occasionally with a mechanic, my father in his upholstery business here on our property, and continue to excel on his guitar. He hopes to purchase a bass guitar next. He just bought his first (used) iPod and he's in love.

We haven't tapped into any dual credit yet, but I did finally hear how in this rural part of our state. I've emailed CC's before and gotten basically no help. I feel they are behind the times in helping homeschoolers in high school.

My other two children are 10 and 7. My 10yo is gaining academic strength and maturity. She still struggles in math. She loves helping our friend with her horses. My 7yo is two years ahead in school and will most likely graduate early. I am still enjoying 'Rowing with them.
:)

Heather (WI)
06-04-2012, 11:36 PM
What a fun post! It's great to see what all our kids are doing now. :)

We only have one dd who is 14-1/2 (15 in September), who just finished 9th grade. With her September birthday, I could've delayed a year, and even though I don't need to (academically), I wish I would've now, because it is going TOO fast!! ;)

She has a passion for animals (especially dogs) and has always wanted to be a veterinarian or vet tech, which is still her main plan. She also has found a LOVE (obsession?) of photography, and almost always has a camera in hand. Her favorite is taking pictures of our 3 dogs, dressed in different costumes for the various holidays, birthdays, etc., as well as taking beautiful nature photos. She has a definite gift and talent in this area, and I love seeing the world through her eyes this way.

Her other love is violin, which she has played since right before her 3rd birthday. She just got accepted into our area's top (of 3 levels) youth orchestra, and is really excited!! She hopes to play with the adult symphony as a part time job in the future.

I told her she will be really busy--vet tech by day, orchestra violin player by night, and photographer on the weekends, LOL!

Lou
06-23-2012, 01:04 PM
What fun!

Dd 16 is heading into her senior year, loving being part of the robotics team (they made it to the world championships this year - WOW!), and looking at studying microbiology, hopefully at Baylor. She works hard in school, will graduate with nearly a year of college credits, and loves to create. Yesterday she made a quilt from blocks my mom had cut out before she died. :hcry:

Ds 14 is starting high school next year, and his passion is still football. School is only a tool with which to get to play football. Therefore, we are still working on algebra, even though it is summer. Uggh. On the upside, he is a skilled ball player, and it might pay his way through college. :)

Rachel Jane
06-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Jeremy 18 is going to community college for his first two years of school. He is also going to be working part time. He will be majoring in engineering. In August, he will be testing for his black belt in karate. I am concerned that once he gets a steady job, he will drop out of school. He is a good worker and likes to earn money. He has done well with his academics and enjoys them. He just likes to work more.

Luke 16 just got his permit and is doing well at driving (he got a 100% on the written test!). His passion right now is his violin and he plays with a multi-generational community orchestra with a very strict conductor, whom he loves. She is 80+ and is a pistol! He wants to be a luthier, but we need to look into that and see if it is at all a reasonable thing to pursue. Luke will also be testing for black belt in August.

The black belt test is very difficult and involves not just katas and sparring, but a lengthy run, fighting several opponents at once, doing many push ups and kicks. It lasts several hours. Preparation will be rigorous. Their sponsor will start training with them on Tuesday. This is in addition to the 6 classes they attend weekly. Prayer for them during training and for their testing would be appreciated.

Heather (WI)
06-23-2012, 09:01 PM
Rachel Jane--that's neat about your son wanting to be a luthier! Let us know more about it when you find out. Our dd has played violin since right before her 3rd birthday, and she wants to play in a (part-time) professional orchestra (as well as being a vet tech by day). :)

Our dd also just started karate in April, and she is testing for her gold belt next Tuesday. It's not anywhere near as intense as the black belt one, but I just heard that our students also have to do a 2-mile run, write an essay, etc. It's sounds tough! Hope your sons do great!! :)

KayH
07-01-2012, 08:49 AM
I hesitate to post anything here, for more than one reason. Main reason, I have been so out of touch/out of the loop on these boards (the foremost reason for that being the "stalking" issues a few years ago).

The second reason: after reading how "successful" everyone else's children are, I feel like I've so totally failed my children! :unsure:

My oldest graduated a couple years ago; has a full time job here in this tiny podunk town in which we live. No college plans in sight! He never even took the ACT! But he is very well liked at work; seems to be considered a very valuable employee.

The last vacation he took (last March), and was gone for a week; the day we got back, he walked in there and everyone was thrilled to see him! One of the cashiers said: You will be back to work tomorrow, right?! The next time you plan to be gone for a week, tell me, so I can call in sick every day you are gone! ;)

My second child just graduated this spring. No job lined up. No college lined up. She did take the ACT. Her scores were fairly low (except math wasn't so bad!! Praise the Lord for Life of Fred! ;) ), but she seemed satisfied with them, and did not want to attempt a retake!

And neither of them has driver's license, nor even learner's permit!! :eek::eek:

The other two are not "graduates" yet. One is still doing Beyond; the other, still has Volume 4 to complete. :kiss: :D

Marcia
07-01-2012, 03:12 PM
I hesitate to post anything here, for more than one reason. Main reason, I have been so out of touch/out of the loop on these boards (the foremost reason for that being the "stalking" issues a few years ago).

The second reason: after reading how "successful" everyone else's children are, I feel like I've so totally failed my children! :unsure:

I'm glad you updated, and you are still in the "loop" here. You're one of us! ;):group:

My oldest has struggled with finding his way too. He did finishes his second semester of college, but he flunked all his classes. :eyes: Yep, got lazy and just flunked them. He doesn't want to go back. College isn't for him, he says. :(

He works about 30 hours a week at a grocery store. He loves his job, and they love him. He is talking about possibly going into the Navy, but he first has to pay off a speeding ticket he got. So, driving isn't all what it's cracked up to be either. ;)

We just keep plodding along here, and we are hoping and praying that he finds his way soon. He's a good kid. He just needs to figure out what direction to go in. We've looked at different vocation schools and other options besides college but nothing is clicking yet for him.

You are not a failure. They need to take ownership of their life and figure it out. Everyone's journey looks different. :group:

Colleen OH
07-01-2012, 08:38 PM

Kay, mine are the working class kind of people, too. ;) :clap:

laurie in ok
07-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Kay - Your kids are adults at this point, and they have to take ownership of their own future. You are always welcome here. :group:

Merrilee Morse
07-12-2012, 08:23 PM
Kay, please don't feel alone. I know you are a great mom; there are lots of kids out there like yours. I have one. Yes, he has his driver's license, which I am not so sure is a good thing. He failed community college, and has talked of going into the navy but thus far has not talked to a recruiter. He has no job, he is just drifting right now, and last night he got his second traffic ticket in six months. DJ is NOT a bad kid. He doesn't drink, have sex, or do drugs. He is in church every Sunday and volunteers to make coffee and serve between services and even leads a small group with the junior high age kids. He is just so directionless and unmotivated right now, and I am uncertain how to motivate him without it ending up a fight. It is so hard.

Shelly in MN
07-13-2012, 04:27 PM
He is just so directionless and unmotivated right now, and I am uncertain how to motivate him without it ending up a fight. It is so hard.

Understand.

No, Kay, you are definitely not alone. :group:

We had a graduation celebration for our son on June 2nd. I haven't posted anything about it, and I've been wrestling with sharing my facebook album of the day because I feel like I couldn't have done the whole homeschooling experience more "wrong" if I'd tried.

It's hard seeing others' shining success stories when the best I can say is "We made it through. Barely." Happy for them, but, well, you know...:unsure:

Lisalyn
07-13-2012, 10:56 PM
I'm not sure if I missed this thread back in April, or if I ignored it. :unsure:

My oldest (and only dd) graduated in 2009 and immediately started cosmetology school. She was doing great--really a natural--when she became pregnant. She ended up missing too many days and had to drop out of school. Not long after that, she lost the baby.

She is now the single mom of a 3-month-old boy and working as a waitress. She loves the social aspects of waiting tables. She talks about finishing cosmetology school, but she has a full plate with the baby.

My oldest ds is 17 and beginning his senior year of high school. He has some LD issues and really struggles with math and essay writing/grammar. He is a wonderful musician, has his own band that plays locally, and writes great songs. We have used a lot of unschooling type learning---lots of videos, movies, etc., instead of reading. He knows a lot about American and World History (especially the wars). He speaks intelligently. His life is music. He has no plans for college. I'm not sure what he plans to do.

My 14 yr old goes to PS and will start high school next month. He is an artist--he won 3rd place in the middle school art show last spring. He is doing well in his studies and plans to go to college, but has plenty of time to find a focus.

My last two are also in PS elementary school, so....unless something happens to change our current path, this will be my last year as a homeschooler.

I sometimes feel defeated by the way things have turned out for my olders. I hope I have given them enough to become successful adults. I don't mind the idea of my kids being working class type people, but I'm not seeing a lot of effort when it comes to work. :unsure:

KatieCO
07-15-2012, 06:20 PM
Well, lessee. I wasn't going to post either since it's been so long since I've been here! BUT - I loved reading about all of your children and "catching up" with some of you.

Kyle just turned 18 yesterday. He graduated this May and has been trying to get into the Marines. We keep getting held up by paperwork issues, but dh & I both feel that he WILL get in - eventually. He does not have a license or a job (besides weekly mowing at church) - he spent most of the past year cramming to get enough credits to graduate a year earlier than planned. HUGE history buff. Unfortunately, that subject is not on the ASVAB (military entrance exam) but algebra IS! Poor kid.

Megan is 16 now (will be a Junior) and has a PT job working for an all-natural residential cleaning company. She is VERY involved with Frontier Girls (National Girl of the Month in Feb!) and hopes to go to China as a missionary to an orphanage when she graduates in 2 years. We still haven't found a way to help her learn to read after years of several different programs, tutors and tricks. I told her China was a good idea then - no one ELSE can read Chinese either! ;) Loves children, old fashioned things and senior citizens. Meg spends all of her free time volunteering.

Emily is 14 (Freshman this coming year) and very bright, but very unmotivated. Also involved in Frontier Girls, especially for the social interaction! No idea what she wants to do when she grows up, but is great with children and wants to be a councilor at diabetes camp when she's old enough. Makes stunning jewelry and just donated her entire stock to the Waldo Canyon Fire victims.

Hannah & Jay are both doing BY this year, Sarah & the Twinkies FIAR, and C-pher & Sean will do B4. So glad I've got a lot of 'Rowing left to do!

Heather (WI)
07-16-2012, 12:06 AM
Katie!! WOW, so good to hear from you!! Your kids are growing up so fast (aren't they all?!)
How neat that you still have so many little "rowers" left, though! I only got to do it one time, and I wish God would give me the opportunity to go through it again, but I trust His plan. :)

Susan Seaman
07-16-2012, 02:42 PM
Somehow I missed this thread earlier. It was neat to read all the updates.

My oldest Rebecca (19), finished her first year at Milligan College. She did well with the academics and settled into campus life pretty well - but her relationship with her roommate was strained. They had not met before but they had so much in common that they both had super-high expectations for the relationship. But it didn't click. They never fought but just rarely spoke - which is strange for two very talkative girls. I even got on to Rebecca once telling her "What good is it for you and D. to be on the Dean's List if you can only just be cordial with each other? Don't fail at the more important stuff!"

So more than the grades, I was proud that during the second semester both girls seemed to make more of an effort to have a good relationship. They did not end the year as best friends but they are much closer and seem to look forward to seeing each other this fall (D. will be an RA next year, so they won't be rooming together anymore).

Also, this whole first year was a learning experience for Rebecca and me - learning how to be apart but still supportive. Rebecca said I actually gave her "too much space" and that she would appreciate it if I would at least email her daily. :lol:

Nedra in California
07-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Hi everyone,

My oldest, 22, has been married almost 3 years. She isn't working or going to school but is very happy being home. We had a couple of rough years, but she has grown into a thoughtful, very helpful young woman. She is at our home a couple of days a week and is a huge help here. I know they could really use an extra income, but her hubby likes her being home so I leave this with them. They are adults now. :)

My next one down, 18, graduated this year. He is pursuing a career at In N Out. I know most of you probably do not know about this company. It is a fabulous company to work for with amazing benefits and very high pay. My son's manager in his late 20's makes well over $100,000 a year. He is doing a great job and moving up quickly. He has a beautiful girlfriend and they hope to get married May 2014. She also works for In N Out (a different store).

That leaves me with 3...happy sigh. My next one down is 14 and starts 9th grade in the fall. She is my high academic go getter. She is extremely independent in the way of school, chores, etc... and a tremendous help to me. So I am looking at a very easy year school wise with her completely on her own. My focus will be on my 2 - 1st graders, school and some nice relaxed art classes at our local studio. Feeling very peaceful and organized.

Marcia
07-19-2012, 12:22 PM
Feeling very peaceful and organized.

:) Happy sigh.... :group:

In n Out is awesome! :thumb: Love hearing about your family, Nedra!

Becky in CA
07-19-2012, 02:12 PM
My oldest is still very involved in his church. I think that has sidetracked him from pursuing any long-term goal. His busyness made it hard for him to get a job with his schedule of ministries at his church. However, that seems to be changing. He will be starting a specialized program through his denomination to become an ordained pastor within 3 years and only having to attend a class one weekend (Fri/Sat) a month. That way they can still serve in their local churches on Sundays. It's a relief to see his life going in a forward motion again.

My daughter is still pursuing her CDA (Child Development Associate) certificate through Penn Foster. She actually started in May and is almost done with her first module. She has gotten at least 90's on all of her tests to date which has really helped to validate my homeschooling. (After my oldest, I was a little shaky on what was really accomplished considering he's floundered for almost 4 years.) Today, she's actually at a daycare center my mom works at to finish up her observation project. Once that's turned in, she'll have 3 more modules to complete and 480 hours of working with children before having her certificate in hand. I don't know if she'll actually pursue an Associate's degree or not because she really wants to be a nanny for a nice, Christian family.

My youngest is in 10th grade this year. (We school January through the first week of November.) Most days we're really enjoying what we're using. He does want to become some sort of engineer/mechanic.

I can't believe I only have two more years left of homeschooling! Where has the time gone!?! I love reading about everyone's updates...and your honesty. :group:

Heather (WI)
07-19-2012, 07:16 PM
My oldest is still very involved in his church. I think that has sidetracked him from pursuing any long-term goal. His busyness made it hard for him to get a job with his schedule of ministries at his church. However, that seems to be changing. He will be starting a specialized program through his denomination to become an ordained pastor within 3 years and only having to attend a class one weekend (Fri/Sat) a month. That way they can still serve in their local churches on Sundays. It's a relief to see his life going in a forward motion again.

My daughter is still pursuing her CDA (Child Development Associate) certificate through Penn Foster. She actually started in May and is almost done with her first module. She has gotten at least 90's on all of her tests to date which has really helped to validate my homeschooling. (After my oldest, I was a little shaky on what was really accomplished considering he's floundered for almost 4 years.) Today, she's actually at a daycare center my mom works at to finish up her observation project. Once that's turned in, she'll have 3 more modules to complete and 480 hours of working with children before having her certificate in hand. I don't know if she'll actually pursue an Associate's degree or not because she really wants to be a nanny for a nice, Christian family.

My youngest is in 10th grade this year. (We school January through the first week of November.) Most days we're really enjoying what we're using. He does want to become some sort of engineer/mechanic.

I can't believe I only have two more years left of homeschooling! Where has the time gone!?! I love reading about everyone's updates...and your honesty. :group:

That all sounds so neat, Becky! Our dd will probably use Penn Foster, too, for her Associate's in Veterinary Technician, and she's starting 10th grade this year, too. :)