PDA

View Full Version : Car seats?

Christi in OH
04-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Veronica is very small for her age. She is around 40 pounds and the height of your average 5 year old(heck her little brother is only a few inches shorter than her). She is still in a 5 point harness booster seat. She can't do any of her buckles for herself. Actually, she can almost do the buckle at the top. I am sure it is quite a sight me leaning into the back of the van to do her buckles.

I have been thinking of changing her to use the seatbelt with her booster. :unsure: I am not sure if it is safe enough or if she could do the seatbelt herself. She does slide her arms out of the shoulder straps and just ends up with the straps over her hips. She is so flexible that this is very easy for her.

Any thoughts?

Hollie in SC
04-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Christi, Noah is 48 pounds and we still keep him in the 5pt. carseat. He is about 48". However, dh drives him to school in the mornings and it is about a 7 min. drive. In that car we have a car seat that converts to a full booster seat. It seems to give him enough support and it has the metal ring to help keep the belt tight enough. BUT in order for it to be tight enough, there is no way for him to be able to buckle it himself. Just our experience...:group:

AmyinWI
04-10-2012, 08:26 PM
I personally think a child should stay in a 5 point harness as long as possible. My 8yo is only 45 pounds, and she is still in one. I might consider putting her in a booster next year, but she is so small boned, I still worry about safety.

I would also worry, about your dd, because of DS kids having such low muscle tone/ and greater flexibility.. are they are more risk in a crash, or less? I'm not really sure, but it makes me wonder.

I have her in a Graco nautilus which goes up to higher wts. for 5 pt. and then converts to booster, and goes up to 100#, I believe.

Christi in OH
04-11-2012, 08:27 AM
Maybe I need to move Ephraim to the back, he can do all his buckles. I still have the baby rear facing as she loves to see her siblings antics. :lol:

Thanks, Holly, good to know about the booster seat, so that wouldn't help much anyway. Very true on the low tone Amy, Veronica will be back there with her feet up next to her ears.

Hollie in SC
04-11-2012, 08:29 AM
Veronica will be back there with her feet up next to her ears.

That is Noah. :lol:

AmyinWI
04-11-2012, 10:20 PM
yep, Gabe just loves to tear off his shoes and socks in the carseat and suck on his toes!! :eek:

I know what a hassle it is to have to crawl into the back seat and buckle kids in Christi. We have a humongous 12 passenger van,and crawling back there to buckle my guys in is no fun!

Tracy-chi
04-12-2012, 07:05 AM
hope it's okay to forum jump into here.
I understand that low muscle tone etc might change when you move kids to different seats etc.
I'm on a car seat board on FB. I like this video describing some of the "qualifications" of booster seating.
Booster Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWsHyh5Bfv4)

PS both of my kids are in the Britax Frontier 85 with harness still. I agree with Amy, kids should stay in 5 point harnesses as long as possible.

There are also some other options that I'm not very familiar with (like vests etc) feel free to join me on the Car Seat for Littles Fb group. THe group is over 3000 people including many car seat techs. If you join the group & share make/model of car, specification of child (height/weight/low muscle tone, etc) & budget- they will gladly help recommend a car seat or a solution.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CarSeatsForTheLittles/

AmyinWI
04-12-2012, 09:11 AM
That's great Tracy! Mind if I join in too?
I have been looking into the Britax models, I know they're superior,just wish they weren't so expensive! Is it true they don't expire as soon as other brands?
When we get another foster/adopt placement we're going to have to purchase a few more seats,plus I need an extra carseat or two for dh's truck.

Tracy-chi
04-12-2012, 09:15 AM
The more the merrier, Amy! Just click the link and ask to join, an admin has to accept. Beware- the group likes to burst the Britax bubble lol meaning, they are happy to recommend all brands :)

Christi in OH
04-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Thanks Tracy, my younger son is in a Britax that is about to expire, just a regular seat and the baby is in a new one that was clearancing out because of the color. I think Veronica's seat is due to expire soon too.

I will check out the group as we will be ready to move the middle two into new seats soon.