PDA

View Full Version : High School Foreign Language

Cindy in CA
04-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Power Glide or Rosetta Stone? I need fast feedback today as I need to place an order with our Charter School. This would be for French 1, just want help deciding which program to go with. Cost doesn't matter because I am not paying for it and have the funding available through the charter school.

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Could you also please check out my literature list on the 3Rs board and give me your feedback on those? Pretty please?

Thanks so much!

:)

Cari
04-12-2012, 02:21 PM
We use Rosetta Stone and are very happy with it. The homeschool edition comes with worksheets and other printables to supplement the computer activities.

I've never used PowerGlide's secondary level, but we're using the "Junior Adventure" this year with DD7 & DS11, and I'm really not overly impressed.

Cari

Cindy in CA
04-12-2012, 03:13 PM
My choices are PowerGlide Ultimate Year 1
Rosetta Stone Level 1. Version 3 ( not sure if the version really matters that much)

Thanks for any and all input.

Jill in Monrovia
04-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Most foreign language teachers don't like Rosetta Stone. I've never personally heard of a child placing into a 2nd year level with it even after doing it for a year.

I used the Power Glide German (for a while) with the kids when we thought we would be moving to Germany for a year. While I thought some of the words were ones that were silly first year words it worked well.

Jill in Monrovia

Cindy in CA
04-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Most foreign language teachers don't like Rosetta Stone. I've never personally heard of a child placing into a 2nd year level with it even after doing it for a year.

I used the Power Glide German (for a while) with the kids when we thought we would be moving to Germany for a year. While I thought some of the words were ones that were silly first year words it worked well.

Jill in Monrovia

Thanks Jill, that is helpful info.

Heather (WI)
06-04-2012, 05:07 PM
I know this is late in posting, Cindy, but we are using PowerGlide High School French, and overall we really like it! What did you end up deciding as your choice?

Cindy in CA
06-04-2012, 05:21 PM
I am suppose to be getting the passwords and info for Power Speak, which I guess is the same as Power Glide, soon. This is what was available to me through the charter school. It sounds like Power Speak is the same thing as Power Glide. I don't know. :unsure:

We may try it out over the summer and see if he likes it, and if not we can get something else for Foreign Language in the fall through the Charter School.

Tracey
06-04-2012, 07:11 PM
A few friends use Rosetta Stone and love it. They also use the homeschool edition.

Heather (WI)
06-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Yeah, I think PowerGlide is technically "out of print", but I got one of the last few copies from Christian Book Distributors last year. I noticed that their website now goes to PowerSpeak (which I don't know much about)--but it looks like it is more computer-based now, like Rosetta Stone.

Cindy in CA
06-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Yeah, I think PowerGlide is technically "out of print", but I got one of the last few copies from Christian Book Distributors last year. I noticed that their website now goes to PowerSpeak (which I don't know much about)--but it looks like it is more computer-based now, like Rosetta Stone.

Thanks Heather, that is helpful. Well hopefully he will like it. I am thankful I don't have to pay for it.