PDA

View Full Version : Buying US & World Maps?

Jennifer in TX
05-13-2007, 11:36 PM
Where did you buy your US and World maps for FIAR? Did you get them from Rainbow Resource or somewhere similar? Any tips for what to purchase - and not purchase?

Thanks
Jennifer
Dd 5, Ds 3, Ds 8m

Kendra AU
05-14-2007, 06:34 AM
Well, I had issues getting one too, but that's because I moved from America to Australia and I couldn't just runt o Wal-Mart and pick one up! LOL They don't have Wal-Mart here.

I ended up getting mine from a book shop called Angus And Robertson. I should say, Dh got it for me. If I'd gone I would have passed out at the price before I would have paid it, but it's an AWESOME map. He choose well for us, and we don't hesitate to tell him so on a near daily basis as it hangs on the dining room wall.

This map, i don't think I have any photos of it, has a border around it of every flag in the world. We've yet to think of a country who's flag we can't find! They are all in alphabetical order which makes it super easy to locate them when the kids ask.

It's very kid friendly as it's called "Children's World Map". They have pictures on each country of a landmark you might find in the country. Like France has the Eiffel tower, and the Great Wall of China is on the map. Statue of Liberty, etc. The kids love looking at the map because they see something new each day.

We were putting on our story disc today and my three year old wanted to know what we'd do next time and I said Babar, so we might study Africa. He pointed to Africa and had dh and I in awe until we realized he was pointing to the elephant standing in Africa! lol

Before we moved we were using a globe. One of those terrific ones put out by Leapfrog as I had no wall space left for a map. Our timeline took up the last chunk! lol

Kendra

Heather in GA
05-14-2007, 07:00 AM
I bought mine from Rainbow Resource and I love them -- nice and big and very detailed :)

Heather W
05-14-2007, 07:02 AM
Got mine at Staples- huge and laminated and both were $25 together. Nice detailed fun maps.

~christa~
05-14-2007, 08:31 AM
WalMart - in August when they started pulling out the school supplies - got the set for 9.95!!! Oneof the best ten dollars I even spent!!

HollyD
05-14-2007, 04:37 PM
I just ordered US and world maps from CBD. Here's a coupon code for free shipping from CBD with any order over $35 (expires at midnight tonight). Code 255921139UXBG
The maps I ordered are Geosafari reMARKables and are 8.99 apiece. They're laminated so you can mark/wipe off and are approx 34x22. I almost ordered maps with my RR order but decided that they were too big for what I needed.
Hope this helps!

ab.grace
05-14-2007, 10:05 PM
I got mine at a school supply store and the woman who sold it to me realized what DH and I did for a living and threw in lamination for free. I thought that I was just buying the world map, and when I got home there was a US map inside it. I thought that it was scraps that they didn't laminate, I think they gifted it to me. I was thrilled. It too has flags under the map, the kids love it, but its just a simple world map.

AB

Jennifer in TX
05-20-2007, 11:48 PM
What do you think of these maps? I think they are a little expensive, but do you think the expense is worth it for younger children?

http://www.amazon.com/eeBoo-This-your-United-States/dp/B000IDMTI0/ref=sr_1_64/002-8095185-8907257?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1179719070&sr=1-64
http://www.amazon.com/eeBoo-Children%2527s-World-Map/dp/B000N9CPR4/ref=sr_1_56/002-8095185-8907257?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1179719170&sr=1-56

They both measure 35x25

Jennifer

Christi in VA
05-21-2007, 08:23 AM
I think I am going to order this larger map because we are going to stay with U.S. history/states studies for FIAR next year

http://www.metskers.com/product.aspx?p_id=232858&d_id=22730

Alana
05-21-2007, 08:35 AM
I am getting the large maps from the Sunbelt cereal box offer. I think both of them are $6.95 including shipping. I will get them laminated. Hopefully someone at dh's school will do it for me.

Blessings,