PDA

View Full Version : teaching a child with DS

samantha j
04-15-2012, 10:48 PM
Hi
Im new to homeschooling and beyond 5. We have 5 children and our 6.5yr old girl Dakota has Down Syndrome. I was wondering if any one here has a child with DS and if you do how do you go about homeschooling them? I am very nervous about it and need some help........please......anybody:eek:.
Thanks heaps, Samantha.

Christi in OH
04-16-2012, 07:41 AM
Our daughter with down syndrome just turned 9. She has always been homeschooled. I will admit, I have been all over the place with homeschooling options.

Right now we are using some Before Five in a Row titles and printables from homeschool share or homeschool creations. Also some of the simpler Five in a Row books, she loved Ferdinand. I am using Teaching Math to People with Down Syndrome as a guide for math. Handwriting without Tears and we just started working with Terry Brown at So Happy to Learn for reading...it really is a nice program. We also do quite a few art projects each week, I have each day of the week assigned an art medium and we try to get at least that done.

My biggest goal for Veronica is basic life skills, we are doing calendar work, self and home care and really need to get moving on the reading.

I don't know if that was very much help. I know it has been very valuable to me to talk to others homeschooling and to remember to keep the lessons short and simple. It is sort of interesting here as Veronica's younger brother is quickly catching up and passing her in quite a few skills.

Good luck. :)

Hollie in SC
04-16-2012, 08:29 AM
:hi: Welcome! :)

AmyinWI
04-19-2012, 08:03 PM
Hello! :hi:

I have a nearly 5yo boy with down syndrome and autism. I am not currently homeschooling him. (He attends early intervention at the public school right now). I know there will be a day when I will be homeschooling him, but I too have wondered how to approach it.

Like Christi, life skills will be a huge one for my son. At this point he is so extremely delayed in his development, we first have to work on his ability to sit for more than a few minutes. And things like self help skills (he does not feed, dress or care for himself in any way).
What I plan to do is make a list of what the child is capable of now,and what could be added, or goals you would like to see accomplished? Perhaps you could tell us some of those things here,and maybe one of the other moms can help you brainstorm ideas?

I will be reading this thread with interest.

Leslie Nelsen
04-20-2012, 10:54 PM
Hi Samantha :hi:

Welcome to FIAR! Its great to have you here.

I'm also homeschooling a little sweetie with DS. I don't know that I will be much help in terms of structure and details as we are still working on some basics here. I would like for our days to be more structured with her than they are, but at the moment we are still pretty loose in our days. My daughter is 5.

We are working on colors, letters of the alphabet, sight words, counting and recognizing numbers. I am hoping to plan the Before books around some of these concepts in order to teach them to her in a fun way. I also just really want to do these books with her!

Are you on the homeschooling Ds yahoo loop? That might be a helpful place to look too.

I'm glad you are here and hopefully we can learn from each other. :)

samantha j
04-24-2012, 09:00 PM
Thanks all for you support.

Dakota is doing well at school (I think) She has over 50 sight words and reads easy readers/sentences. She can count to 15 but her biggest struggle is writing. She can trace over things but as yet can not write by herself. She is begining to write some letters of her name by herself.

I think your all very right in saying that life skills are what matters most. I would like Dakota to learn her address and phone number and other things like that. She is very independant and gets her own breakfast, dresses herself, etc. I guess that is one of my worries.....shes very head strong. In South Australia our Down Syndrome Society has programs to teach children to read write etc. We are told not to teach a child with ds the phonics or sounds in a word but rather to first teach them sight words. ONce they have at least 50 sight words then you can begin adding the alphabet etc. Its a really good program and has been thoroughly researched. Our society also has programs to teach other areas.

Hollie in SC
04-25-2012, 06:35 AM
Samantha, I don't know if this is the same reading program. If not, it might be of interest:

http://www.seeandlearn.org/en/gb/resources/