PDA

View Full Version : PSAT and ACT questions

Steph
04-17-2012, 08:02 PM
Have your high school students take the PSAT before they attempted the ACT/SAT? Three high schoolers from our co-op are taking the ACT in June and they asked me if my son would want to take it too.

He's just finishing up 10th grade so I don't guess it won't hurt anything.

Do you follow a particular schedule for high school testing?

WendyW
04-17-2012, 08:19 PM
My ds took the PSAT in 11th, and the ACT this year. He did not do the SAT, as the midwest colleges usually prefer the ACT. All are given only at specific sites on specific days, usually through the public high schools. The PSAT is offered only once each year.

Their respective websites will give you info for dates and you can register on-line.

The PSAT is ONLY available in the fall of the Junior year. The SAT and ACT can be taken repeatedly, and as far as I know there is no requirement for being is a specific grade. Generally they are taken in the Senior year, but I know some kids start taking them Jr. yr. in order to get more practice.

Kelly K
04-17-2012, 10:32 PM
The College Genuis test prep people suggest you start taking the PSAT in your freshman year and take it every year until 11 gr. ...... Haven't actually done it yet, but my 8th gr girls are going to take it in the fall (I hope!)

Gitel in nj
04-17-2012, 11:11 PM
PSAT's are offered once per year in October. They may be taken in any grade BUT results are only counted for Merit Scholarship qualification in junior year (11th grade). Many PS encourage their students to take them in 10th grade as a practice run knowing that the scores do not count and will never be seen. The information from the practice test gives you valuable information on what areas to work on before taking the test for real in 11th grade.

My DS took them in 9th and 10th grade for practice. He took them this past October for real--He did VERY well. (he will qualify for semi-finalist) I attribute some of that to the fact that it was not his first time seeing them in 11th grade.

DS took the SAT's once in 10th grade as a trial run and 2 times this year for real. Again he did VERY well and will not be taking them again his senior year, nor will he take the ACT--his SAT score was good enough that taking the ACT is not worth it.

I believe that doing well on these tests is helped by not seeing them for the first time when it matters. They are very long tests and you want your child to know what to expect.

At this point nearly every school in the US Takes both tests equally. The notion that midwest schools want ACT's and East and West schools want SAT's is no longer valid. Do some research to see which test might be better for your child-- they are different kinds of tests and different learners may do better on one than another. Also, the ACT has just joined the SAT in super-scoring. This means if you take the test more than once...they will take your highest score on each section (even if they were not on the same test) to give you your "super score".

PSAT scores are NEVER seen by colleges--even if you qualify for Semi-finalist or beyond. SAT's will be seen--but they will only count your highest (super score)

Lastly, we were advised to never take the SAT just once (or the ACT if that is the test you prefer) even if your score is good enough. you have nothing to loose by taking it again and in our experience--It totally PANNED OUT :clap: :hop: ;)

Tricia O
04-17-2012, 11:38 PM
Lastly, we were advised to never take the SAT just once (or the ACT if that is the test you prefer) even if your score is good enough. you have nothing to loose by taking it again and in our experience--It totally PANNED OUT :clap: :hop: ;)

Absolutely agree with this! I got a 29 on my ACT the first time I took it, which was good, but took it again & got a 32 the second time. I don't remember what I got on my SAT's but I was a National Merit Finalist.

Alicia
04-18-2012, 08:09 AM
My older two sons took the PSAT before the SAT and ACT. My ds#3 is a 9th grader, and took the PSAT in the fall. He will take it again next fall.

Susan Seaman
04-19-2012, 01:32 PM
My plan is to give my sons the ACT at home at least once a year starting in 7th grade. I realize it's not the same as the official test, but you get better info because you can see what kind of problems they are missing and go over them. The ACT website has a free full-length test that you can download and print. It takes about 3.5 hours to give the test.

I also think this helps them know what they are shooting for. Obviously, they need a minimum score to get in college. Hopefully they achieve that sometime in jr. high. Then they need to get more to get the state lottery scholarship, etc.

Gitel in nj
04-19-2012, 02:04 PM
My plan is to give my sons the ACT at home at least once a year starting in 7th grade. I realize it's not the same as the official test, but you get better info because you can see what kind of problems they are missing and go over them. The ACT website has a free full-length test that you can download and print. It takes about 3.5 hours to give the test.

I also think this helps them know what they are shooting for. Obviously, they need a minimum score to get in college. Hopefully they achieve that sometime in jr. high. Then they need to get more to get the state lottery scholarship, etc.

Okay..Since Susan brought it up I will confess: DS also took the SAT in 7th and 8th grade. The actual one. I would say each time about 5-6 other middle school students were there.

Not only was it a good experience but his scores qualified him to take courses thru JHU-CTY (Talent Search). We did pre-algebra and algebra 1 with them :clap: