PDA

View Full Version : taking a SN child out of public school

AmyinWI
04-19-2012, 09:09 PM
My son attends public school right now because that is the only way to receive therapy services, he is doing well, progressing slowly and his teacher and therapists have been great.
But this fall, my son will be starting ABA therapy (for autism) in home. THis requires 4-6 hours per day of intensive therapy,and there is no way I plan on sending him to school half days in addition to that. The school does not allow ABA therapists to work with him during school hours.
I will probably send him to school in September,and by November the ABA will be starting, and I'll be taking him out.

Can anyone tell me how to handle this without causing a problem with the school system? I am not a HSLDA member currently, but plan on signing up again before this all occurs. The last time I took out a child from public school (my oldest with LD) it was very stressful,as I got a lot of grief from the principal and superintendant :(

Shannon P
04-20-2012, 12:57 AM
Is this a preschooler? I'd inform the teacher that you'll be withdrawing your ds for ABA therapy. I would think a special needs preschool teacher would understand the concept of therapy overload. If they start to give you a hard time, threaten to demand that the school provide the ABA therapy. It's effective and the school should offer it, but since they don't they shouldn't criticize you for providing it. Demanding that they provide an expensive therapy will shut them up. It's different than a child with LDs, when there isn't a therapy that is clearly effective and the school totally believes they are the best environment. The teacher and IEP team might even agree that ABA is the wisest investment of energy and be able to arrange time off and re-enrollment without hassles.

Get the teacher on your side, and leave the principal and superintendent out of it until absolutely necessary.

AmyinWI
04-21-2012, 10:46 AM
Shannon, my son will be 5 in June, so technically he is the age to start Kindergarten this fall. But his teacher and therapists have been fabulous in advocating for him to stay in early childhood because he is simply not ready for a kindergarten setting.

His teacher and therapists are aware that we are waiting for autism therapy, so they know it's coming. I'm not worried about them, they see how important it is for him to get. It's the people that deal with the money that will not be coming in when my son is taken out of the public school, that I am worried about.:unsure:

WendyW
04-21-2012, 11:27 AM
It's the people that deal with the money that will not be coming in when my son is taken out of the public school, that I am worried about.:unsure:

My dd is a SpEd teacher and according to her, the money that comes in for SpEd students never comes close to covering the actual expense of those students. That would probably be even more true when it involves these types of intensive therapies. I would think that the bigger problem would be an attitude of "we know best and no mere parent can do our job". That can certainly be amplified in SpEd. If you already have the teachers and therapists on your side, then the battle is at least half won!

Shannon P
04-22-2012, 02:29 AM
Agreed. The federal gov't has never fulfilled their promise to fund special education and states are going broke providing expensive, unfunded services. It's not like the schools get a reimbursement check. While the schools refuse to comply with the spirit of federal special education law for financial reasons, they still genuinely believe they are the best environment for students. It's extremely difficult to get them to admit otherwise (and pay for an outside private placement.)

If the teachers are on your side, I think it will be smoother than you experienced before, especially if the IEP team admits that he does not possess the skills needed for Kindergarten.

WendyW
04-22-2012, 01:38 PM
Both my boys took speech therapy through the public school, & both began in their preschool years. We moved between boys, so dealt with 2 different states, and in both the switch from pre-K to K meant new teachers and new programs.

Ds 2 has an August b-day, and we simply decided that kindergarten would wait until he was 6. His therapist had nothing to do with that decision. It was OURS to make. He continued in the preschool department until the next year.

In your situation, I would continue him with the preschool therapists and program that he is already comfortable with, then remove him from that when the ABA begins. Why put him through the stress of switching to a new program through the school, only to remove him 3 months later? The following year if he goes back to school, you can decide then if you will call his year at home "homeschool K" or Pre-K, and decide then if he's ready to move into 1st grade, or should go to kindergarten.

Tiffany
04-25-2012, 09:12 PM
Amy,
I have done this. I joined HSLDA, as you are planning to. They have a section on their website with information about removing a child with an IEP, if I remember correctly I followed their advice. I was lucky in that in my state, we have the option to become members of a homeschool association for our legal requirement, and that organization sent a withdrawal letter to my son's school on my behalf. I still had to deal with the school, but the official notice was taken care of for me. We found it best to not say too much. I explained to those who I had a good relationship with our reasoning. I am pretty sure they all understood why we made the choice we did. The others, we just stated that we were homeschooling and didn't go into much detail. (Some people might not agree with this part but) we declined to attend the IEP meeting to close out the IEP and instead signed and returned our part. We had phone calls about it but it was fine. I was relieved once it was over with. I get really stressed out with things like this. I had to just keep telling myself that I believed we were doing what was best for our child, and after we got through this, this (the school part) would be behind us. And, now it is. :) I hope it goes smoothly for you.