PDA

View Full Version : Private school, co-ops, stay on current course, OR?

Mary FL
04-20-2012, 09:55 AM
I hope to add to this thread later on, as we need to get going with our school day.

We started a co-op last fall. Our first one. There is no grading, only a good selection of electives and friendships with other children (and moms for me). It has been a good thing because my two children are apart for part of the day and making friends of their own. It's one day a week.

We are now looking at partnering with a private school for their electives and possibly math. We took a tour last week. It would be 4 to 5 days a week.

Do any of you have school subjects taught by a private, public school or tutors or?

Does my question make sense?

Mary FL
04-20-2012, 12:03 PM
More...
My concern is how ds would react in a classroom situation with math, especially. I think he can hold his own with drama, voice lessons, art, music, and sports. But, math?

Math for both of my children is more challenging for all of us. I am hoping a small classroom situation with a different teacher would help.

In any event, trying to see what God has for us and waiting patiently for the schedule to come out. It could be the private school schedule will not work with our schedule.

WendyW
04-20-2012, 02:07 PM
My boys have done PE and Music at the local public schools for grades 1-8. My ds1 has done various classes at the high school, mostly elective, but also all his science. Overall it has been a positive experience. The schedule is the worst thing. We ARE at their mercy, with little wiggle room for when during the day their classes occur. I have to juggle the delivery and pick-up times for both kids, who have never been in the same school in the same year. Every year our daily schedule at home is based on their schedules at school, and it often is a conflict with co-ops or other activities we might otherwise want to participate in. It also will limit your freedom for family vacations off season, or field trips.

For us it has been worth it, because it's free, and I could never afford to pay for all we have gotten from them.

Mary FL
04-20-2012, 02:45 PM
Thanks, Wendy. I do like the flexibility of our lifestyle right now. But, I see other factors in play that weren't before.

1. Dd and ds do better together when they have time apart, rather than together all day.
This helps with the family overall.
2. Dd is getting older and I want to see her pursuing her interests more than I can do at home right now.
3. Ds seems to do well with OT and ST teachers. Would he do better with a math teacher other than mom?
4. Dh and I spend very little time together. Would a private school help us have more time together (his work hours vary) and get things done we can't get done otherwise?

Those are just some of my thoughts at the moment.

I did go to a different co-op open house last night. They do require every mom to teach and co-teach. They require a year commitment. This isn't going to work for our family right now either.

Thanks for reading.

AmyinWI
04-20-2012, 03:55 PM
I don't have experience with anything you have asked about,other than co-ops, but one thing to keep in mind with a private school is whether parental volunteering/fundraising is required. In our area there are some small Christian schools that ask parents to participate in several fundraising events per year,and/or volunteer at school functions. Just something to look into,since you are concerned with having more time with your dh.

Melissa Crabtree
04-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Mary, are you asking about a special needs child? If not, you might get more visibility in the 3Rs and I'd be happy to move it there for you!

Mary FL
04-20-2012, 08:40 PM
Thanks, Melissa. Yes, please leave it here.

Melissa Crabtree
04-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Great, just checking! :)

Lindsey Carter
04-24-2012, 11:23 PM
I'm not sure what your dc special needs are, but you might want to consider how well equipped the school would be for helping a special needs kid in an academic subject, especially one that is challenging. It could be a great help in that you won't be the one teaching the most difficult subject. On the other hand, the teacher may not have the time or the expertise needed to help your dc and this could lead to greater frustration, falling behind or poor self esteem in your dc.

If at all possible I would see if you could talk to the potential teachers and discuss the special needs of your dc and see if they have any experience or knowledge in that area and kind of get a feel for the teacher.

We briefly tried doing part time private school and it didn't work for us. My ds is dyslexic. The teacher said, "well at least that isn't a learning disability." :confused: He then had him doing basic first grade math (as in 1+5=6) so that he could work on writing his numbers more neatly when ds was already good at multiple digit subtraction with regrouping. He was a nice guy, only had 5 kids in the class, but really didn't know anything about dyslexia and dsygraphia and was holding ds back rather than helping him advance. Granted we only stuck around for two weeks, still I don't think it was the best fit for us.

Amy Joy
04-25-2012, 12:03 AM
We do band at the public school, but it did limit us for vacations and extras. Also we weren't informed when classes were changed or cancelled and that was difficult. :unsure: However, we will try again next year. :crazy:

WendyW
04-25-2012, 12:13 AM
1. Dd and ds do better together when they have time apart, rather than together all day. This helps with the family overall.

This has been one of the benefits for us, too.

Ds seems to do well with OT and ST teachers. Would he do better with a math teacher other than mom?

I'm assuming from the OT/ST that this is your special needs child. Is your dd special needs also?

How does he do with other teachers, such as Sunday school, or scouts? Behavior-wise I would expect a similar response. If his special needs include a learning disability in math, a regular classroom teacher would likely not be able to give him extra attention. It may be possible to get him a SpEd teacher or remedial class. My dd teaches remedial math and reading for middle school, so those teachers do exist, but how this is handled will differ according to state and district. You also may have the option of enrolling him in a regular math class but at a lower grade level to suit where he's at.

My ds1 was evaluated in 3rd grade for an LD and it was determined that he qualified for special help in written language. When they explained what that help would be, I turned it down. They wanted to give him 1.5hrs/day of writing and spelling, and it was a canned curriculum that they gave every kid needing extra help. It did not address his specific needs in any way.

4. Dh and I spend very little time together. Would a private school help us have more time together (his work hours vary) and get things done we can't get done otherwise?

If your kids are at the school for the same time period, this would be a possibility. My kids have rarely had their at-school time at the same time. I like this because it allows me to spend one-on-one time with each of them.

Mary FL
04-25-2012, 09:42 PM
Thanks for your replies. It's really helpful.

We decided to do something different than originally thought. My dh and I feel peace about it. I'll share more later. I'm very tired tonight have to get up early tomorrow.

Next day...

We found an academy which meets once a week for a full year. It will cover Story of the World, Apologia Science, Language Arts, and one 30 minute elective (think current events). We start the day with praise and worship! I know many of the moms and children from another group we meet with on Thursdays. So, at home we will cover math, do their homework from the academy, BEYOND FIAR, and other studies as their interests lead. I am thrilled! This will still allow flexibility with therapy for ds. Dh and I just need to get better with time management so we can manage some time together. Any tips for that? :lol: