PDA

View Full Version : Will you look at my eighth grade plan?

laurie in ok
04-25-2012, 01:45 PM
We will be doing:

LA - Jump In Writing; 180 Daily Grammar Lessons; 4-5 Progeny Press studies

Math - Continuing TT Pre-Algebra

Lightbearers Worldview

Science - at co-op. They do work at home and labs at co-op.

History - it will be a mix of Genevieve Foster; historical fiction and an election unit.

Drama and Odyssey of the Mind at co-op.

My biggest goals for this year are to strengthen her writing and math skills.

She also plays competitive volleyball pretty much year round, and babysits regularly.

DawnD
04-25-2012, 02:19 PM
I like it - a nice mix of styles of workbooks and living books, work at home and co-op style stuff. It seems thorough but fun - I personally am copying this and might use it (or parts of it myself).

Marcia
04-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Laurie, that looks really great! :thumb:

Rachel Jane
04-25-2012, 04:11 PM
Looks good to me. :clap:

CJ
04-25-2012, 09:12 PM
I think it looks great!
:thumb:

Jennifer Unsell
04-25-2012, 11:47 PM
I think it looks great!
:thumb:

Me too, Laurie! Enjoyed hearing about what your using.

Leslie Nelsen
04-26-2012, 01:18 AM
Agreeing with everyone! Looks like a great year! Have you already picked out your PP units? Just curious what you are using. :)

laurie in ok
05-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Agreeing with everyone! Looks like a great year! Have you already picked out your PP units? Just curious what you are using. :)

I haven't yet. I have a list of books on here that people recommended, and I'm going to my homeschool convention tomorrow to see if there are some I can look through. I will probably try to pick girly books b/c she hates to read. :sad: I just don't understand how a child who hates to read could have come from me! :unsure: I will read just about anything to simply have something to read.

Leslie Nelsen
05-04-2012, 12:14 PM
:group: Hope you have a great time at the conference and find wonderful choices! :group: Let us know what you get.

laurie in ok
05-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Well, after looking over progeny press and total language plus, I went with total language plus. I purchased four studies: Incredible Journey (an animal story where nobody dies), The Swiss Family Robinson, The Giver, and King of the Wind (not sure if that's correct). The last one is a horse book where no animals die. I loved the TLP guides and feel like it will be easy for Andie to get into a rhythm while also learning quite a bit from some good books.

I bought some reading test practice things that will take about 5 minutes for each kid. They've never done any testing and I thought this would be good practice. We will only use it a couple of times a week.

I also bought some five minute mysteries. It will be a read aloud thing a couple of days a week just for fun. They work on reasoning skills with the mysteries.

I bought Brenden's math; Andie's science for co-op.

DawnD
05-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Will you still do Jump In and Daily Grammar Lessons with the TLP? Inquiring minds want to know...:D

laurie in ok
05-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Yes - but I might not have her do the writing ideas in TLP. The grammar thing I bought for her should take 5-10 minutes top and the stuff in TLP is mostly dictation. So, I don't think that is going to be overwhelming. TLP doesn't have writing instruction really built into it - more just ideas to have them write about. So, I may on occasion have her use what she's doing in Jump In to write an essay on one of her topics in TLP, but I'm thinking I will use those more as discussion ideas.

I was really wanting to look through Jump In - but it was sold out everywhere at the convention. Apologia wasn't there, but other places were selling it. I guess that's a good sign. :lol:

DawnD
05-06-2012, 07:28 PM
That sounds really good!!!!!

laurie in ok
05-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Jumpin In came in the mail - and I love it! I'm so excited after finally getting to scroll through the entire manual. I think it's going to be great!

CJ
05-18-2012, 09:34 PM
My son just finished Jump In this week and I'm really happy with how it went for him.
:)

Heather (WI)
06-04-2012, 06:05 PM
:thumb: looks great!!!!!

Lou
06-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Well, after looking over progeny press and total language plus, I went with total language plus. I purchased four studies: Incredible Journey (an animal story where nobody dies), The Swiss Family Robinson, The Giver, and King of the Wind (not sure if that's correct). The last one is a horse book where no animals die.

King of the Wind was one of my favorites growing up! :) The stallion does not die, but he does get mistreated during portions of the book, just so you know.

laurie in ok
07-04-2012, 02:45 PM
King of the Wind was one of my favorites growing up! :) The stallion does not die, but he does get mistreated during portions of the book, just so you know.

Shucks! Does it have a happy ending?