PDA

View Full Version : I think we have an accurate dx finally

Tiffany
04-25-2012, 07:12 PM
I have posted a few times about my oldest ds and trying to figure out just what is wrong. To sum it up briefly, he was born premature with a birth defect of his esophagus, spent a long time in the NICU with several complications, went home on a g-tube and other issues. He has several chronic health problems, and severe hearing loss. Such a complicated journey we've been on. I brought him home from public school last year to homeschool, and because of that decision I believe, we've been able to unravel the rest of the mystery that is my boy. He was diagnosed today with Asperger's by a developmental pediatrician, and will likely be diagnosed with Bipolar by his psychiatrist (ADHD/ODD/OCD/GAD/sensory processing disorder/nonverbal learning disability/RAD/PTSD are prior dx we've been given). For some reason I feel like a burden has been lifted, even though these aren't happy things at all to have to deal with for life... it's just that we've been fitting the pieces of the puzzle together for 10 years. Now for the first time I think we can see the big picture come into focus. Now I have better clarity as to how to treat/help/heal. Trusting God now for the rest of the journey, as I know many of you are too. Just wanted to share with other mamas who would understand a bit. Thanks for letting me.

Hollie in SC
04-25-2012, 07:56 PM
:group: I know it was a really long wait to get into his office, but I'm glad you are getting the help YOU need to help him. Your attitude always impresses me and from what I can see you are doing a great job with your kids.:group: Continuing to pray for you!:group:

Linda in MN
04-25-2012, 07:56 PM
I think having a name to some of these things does help. I am currently going through a ton of questions to get my 6 yo ds dx. He was recently dx with epilepsy and hopefully soon an ADHD and Asperger's as well.

Like you said, it is not an easy road, but knowing what you are dealing with does lift a burden.

Glad you got the answers you were looking for.

Mary FL
04-25-2012, 09:38 PM
Thank you for sharing, Tiffany. I like what you said about trusting God for the rest of the journey. :group:

Tiffany
04-25-2012, 10:17 PM
Thank you for your kind words, Hollie, and for your prayers.
Linda, I hope you are able to get the rest of your answers soon too.
Thanks Mary. I was just thinking about how so many people who have made significant contributions to the world have had challenges like these to overcome. So I want to turn away from the fears I have that threaten to swallow me up, and the grief I have when it all comes crashing down around me and all I can see are the labels, not the person...and think of my children ~all of us really~ as the ones who, by God's grace, will overcome. Their/Our lives might look different but that doesn't mean they can't be significant (in great or small ways).
:group: to all.

Linda in MN
04-25-2012, 11:14 PM
I was just thinking about how so many people who have made significant contributions to the world have had challenges like these to overcome. So I want to turn away from the fears I have that threaten to swallow me up, and the grief I have when it all comes crashing down around me and all I can see are the labels, not the person...and think of my children ~all of us really~ as the ones who, by God's grace, will overcome. Their/Our lives might look different but that doesn't mean they can't be significant (in great or small ways).
:group: to all.

Tiffany-

This is so true. Our children are a gift from God. As I was reading this I was quickly reminded of what my 6 yo name means, "With God all things are possible". So many times I have to remind myself of this when the days are long.

Thanks for sharing from your heart! You've encouraged me tonight!

Leslie Nelsen
04-26-2012, 01:39 AM
So glad you have gotten a clear dx. It does help as then you know where to turn for help. :group:

Praying you would continue to find answers to help your son. Your attitude and testimony are sweet. I:group: I can see that God is already equipping and encouraging you.

Cori
04-26-2012, 07:43 AM
:group: I agree, we all have special gifts. And the gift of homeschooling can help them realize it and be all they can be.... I really, truly believe it.

:group: