PDA

View Full Version : Allow my son to graduate early, gap year, or what?

AmyinWI
04-30-2012, 09:54 PM
My son is mostly likely going to have all his necessary credits in at the end of next year(his junior year) . He is not planning on going to a university ( likely a tech school, plus certifications in fitness after he turns 18).

I also wouldn't mind if he spent a year working to save up money, or helping dh with various construction/mechanical projects, or doing some type of volunteer or mission work. He is also heavily involved in drama, which takes up a good portion of his summer, and November/December.

Another possibility would be working on CLEP tests and/or taking prerequisites for his degree at the tech school through his "senior" year.
Any pros/cons. Would it be a bad idea to allow him to graduate a year early, or should I just consider him a senior,and have CLEPs, volunteer, mechanical projects, etc. be his coursework for the year?

CINDY LB OH
05-01-2012, 06:53 AM
Since he is likely to be doing tech school, then I would continue and have him be a "senior", doing the CLEP tests needed and the prerequisites for the tech school. You most likely can add in the job and projects as well and have a nice senior year.

If you graduated him early, would his transcript still reflect 4 years of high school? Or maybe that doesn't matter. And if he has some prerequisite classes needed for the tech school, then I would want to include them on the transcript too.

We have friends who have graduated their children early, but in most cases they went on to community college the next year. I suppose it could have been considered dual enrollment, but they chose to graduate the student instead. We have one friend who graduated at 16 and went to a 2yr tech/nursing school and earned her LPN at 18.

What would your son like to do?

Beatrice
05-01-2012, 07:30 AM
I think it will also depend on your state's compulsary age and attendance laws.

Could he enroll now into tech school?

One of my sons plans on farrier school as soon as he is 16 rather that the traditional college prep/graduation route.

Colleen OH
05-01-2012, 08:03 AM
what does your son want to do?

I hope I don't sound negligent and/or too free spirited, but by the time my dc are that age I don't do much of the directing of their time anymore. I mean, yeah, I would step in IF I saw things weren't going down very wholesomely, but otherwise they pretty much let me know what they're wanting to do with their time/life.

Tricia in TX
05-01-2012, 10:20 AM
This is what we're doing. My Gunnar will be 18 but technically a Senior next year, but he's gone all the way through school at our church and our co op with this group of kids and really wants to have his senior year at church with his friends, and graduate with his friends at co op.

He's already taken a few classes at the community college and he wants to do the HVAC training instead of academic classes for his 'Senior year'. After he graduates he'll then do EMT and then Fire Academy, so if all goes well, 1 year after he graduates from high school he should have a basic HVAC certification, be EMT Basic Certified (required for all Fireman in TX) and have completed Fire Academy. That will give him the ability to work as a Fireman (this is what he's wanted to do for years) and have a side job as well.

He's not academically inclined (he's dyslexic) so he may have to take some of these class more than once, but that's the plan.

I'd let your son take classes prerequisite classes at a community college for his senior year. Or take Clep Tests. We homeschool! We can do it however we want. :clap: My oldest son did exactly that. His jr and sr years he took all the prerequisite classes for the Associates in Paramedicine. He's done EMT, Fire Academy, and he'll start the Paramedicine classes in the Fall and all he has to do is the actual Paramedicine classes. He's got all the prerequisites done already.

CJ
05-01-2012, 10:36 AM
I can totally understand wanting the chance to save up more $$. Don't forget job shadowing or interning for 2 weeks or a month when his schedule has a lull. It's really easy to set up - even just doing 2 hours at different places are all beneficial.

You could even give him additional credit for it. Careers I and even Careers II depending on the hours.

AmyinWI
05-02-2012, 09:29 PM
what does your son want to do?

I hope I don't sound negligent and/or too free spirited, but by the time my dc are that age I don't do much of the directing of their time anymore. I mean, yeah, I would step in IF I saw things weren't going down very wholesomely, but otherwise they pretty much let me know what they're wanting to do with their time/life.

I really don't know what he wants to do, he doens't know what he wants to do.
He is very responsible with his schoolwork, but not academically minded. I guess I don't see the point of making him do more school work,just to get all these extra credits he really doens't need, or want. If there were some subjects that interested him,that would be different, you know?

I agree with letting them self-direct their time,as long as they are doing worthwhile things. I think my son would do that, IF he could discover what his passions are. DH is talking about getting an old truck for ds to work on as a project for the two of them. I think that would be a fun thing for him,too.

Colleen OH
05-02-2012, 10:49 PM
DH is talking about getting an old truck for ds to work on as a project for the two of them. I think that would be a fun thing for him,too.
That is actually an excellent project. I considered my two oldest boys' "senior project" to be the trucks they did. <----they didn't know or care that I "counted" that, because by then they were *done* with all that school stuff. :crazy:

AmyinWI
05-02-2012, 11:20 PM
I think that dh is trying to live vicariously through my son....lol. but either way, it will keep both of them occupied and out of trouble! :lol:

Gail in NY
05-03-2012, 05:05 AM
My ds just turned 16 which ends compulsory age here in NY. Right now he has been very busy doing roofing ( and making more $$ than his father!) He is rebuilding 2 tractors, raising beef and hogs and wants to get potatoes onions and corn planted. He doesnt have time for school! I will try to eek him by in the off season to get as much accomplished academically as possible, but my sons by this age? It's pretty hard to keep them too book oriented when they have their own businesses! I count all the things he does ( shop, mechanics and technolgy, horticulture/botany-( science) gentetics and husbandry skills with the livestock. I try to have him keep on top of reording all that goes on and document his days ( gets a little practical writing skills in there) My dc are not college bound and they do take GEDs and do very well.

Colleen OH
05-03-2012, 06:53 AM
My ds just turned 16 which ends compulsory age here in NY. Right now he has been very busy doing roofing ( and making more $$ than his father!) He is rebuilding 2 tractors, raising beef and hogs and wants to get potatoes onions and corn planted. He doesnt have time for school! I will try to eek him by in the off season to get as much accomplished academically as possible, but my sons by this age? It's pretty hard to keep them too book oriented when they have their own businesses! I count all the things he does ( shop, mechanics and technolgy, horticulture/botany-( science) gentetics and husbandry skills with the livestock. I try to have him keep on top of reording all that goes on and document his days ( gets a little practical writing skills in there) My dc are not college bound and they do take GEDs and do very well.

This. (Only my boys don't give a hoot about a GED....:eyes: )

Amy, it sounds like your son will have all the academic credit he needs. I think you need to encourage him to come up with a plan with where to go from here. If given the choice, I would nudge him to go to work until he can figure out what he's doing next.