PDA

View Full Version : GFCF...how long before you notice a difference?

AmyinWI
05-01-2012, 11:49 PM
if GFCF diet helps my son, what is a reasonable amount of time before I might notice a difference in his autism/ behavior symptoms?

Reason why I ask is the formula (soy based ) that our Dr. prescribed will not be covered by insurance. It is about $100 per week!!:eek:
My son is tube fed (hopefully off that this summer) but most of his nutrition is through a formula now. I am trying to figure out an alternate way to get the calories/nutrients into him, but the dietician is unalble to recommend a GFCF diet unless my son has celiac disease . :unsure:
I might buy a few weeks worth of the new formula and see if there is a change, then make a decision after that.

Mary FL
05-02-2012, 07:27 PM
For GF, I was told a week of no gluten before you see any change. We haven't been able to string more than a few days together yet, so I'm no help. I do see improvement when we manage a few days, so I'm hopeful. Grandpa's birthday was recent and a few other things happened---you know how it is.

AmyinWI
05-02-2012, 07:50 PM
For GF, I was told a week of no gluten before you see any change. We haven't been able to string more than a few days together yet, so I'm no help. I do see improvement when we manage a few days, so I'm hopeful. Grandpa's birthday was recent and a few other things happened---you know how it is.

Interesting... I have not given him anything with gluten in a week now. I can't start the casein free part until we get the soy formula- still waiting to find out if I can order it through a vendor and have insurance pay or not.
A woman at our church started her son on the GFCF diet a few weeks ago and is already seeing him use more speech- but he's not as severe as my guy is either.

I did start G on Omega 3 oil supplements 2 weeks ago and have noticed he's a bit more attentive the past several days. I am wondering if that's having an affect, or if he's just having some really good days.

Alice R
05-02-2012, 08:52 PM
I'm dealing with a milk allergy so that is different, I think...well, maybe not.

anyway, it takes 4-6 weeks for milk protein to leave my breast milk.

On day 30 of no milk, her skin was clear for the first time.

AmyinWI
05-02-2012, 09:07 PM
that is very interesting, Alice!

Natalie (SD)
05-02-2012, 09:11 PM
I don't know the answer . . . like Alice, I my son has allergies and after exposure, it can take a good 3+ weeks for his skin to heal up, but I guess that is likely different than the situation you are talking about.

What I wanted to add is that my son was on the expensive formula (Neocate I think it was) and our insurance didn't cover it. I ended up always finding it on Craig's list, cheap. One time I got 20 cans free, often got as much as I could afford for between $5 - $20/can. I guess babies are perscribed it sometimes, and welfare covers it by the case, and then their doctor switches their formula and those moms put it on Craig's list. It was a blessing for us . . . so maybe check there.