PDA

View Full Version : what do you do with a child who will not sleep?

AmyinWI
05-01-2012, 11:53 PM
My 4yo does not sleep much at all . (autism diagnosis).

We put him to bed at a regular time,with a regular bedtime routing, but he's usually still awake in his bed a few hours later(10-11 pm) . My dh is up for work at 3-4am,and usually ds is awake then,too.

He rarely naps during the day either.

I have tried melatonin, and occasional benedryl. Neither seem to help much. I think if he didn't have them, he would sleep only 1 hour a night. With them, he sleeps maybe 3 -4 hours.

I know a lack of sleep cannot be good for him,and it must affect his daytime behaviors. He attends an early childhood program 3x a week and his teacher has reported he is having trouble focusing at school, which doens't surprise me.
any thoughts?

Amy Joy
05-02-2012, 12:05 AM
Here's an article comparing melatonin and valerian. Perhaps valerian could help.

Hollie in SC
05-02-2012, 06:47 AM
I know that one of our friends has a 5yod with an autism diagnosis. Sleep has been a MAJOR issue for them. She is on prescription meds for it. I don't know which meds, but I know it has been a really helpful step for them.

ShelleyW
05-02-2012, 07:41 AM
I have found for my kids that Valerian works much better than Melatonin.

Christi in OH
05-02-2012, 08:20 AM
I am taking Veronica for a sleep study. She is horribly restless and seems tired all day. She tells me she is tired and has circles under her eyes.,

Good luck.

AmyinWI
05-02-2012, 08:50 AM
I am taking Veronica for a sleep study. She is horribly restless and seems tired all day. She tells me she is tired and has circles under her eyes.,

Good luck.

that reminds me- my son also has enlarged adenoids. We were told that with his DS ,removal of the adenoids is not recommended ,can't remember why they said that. But that's probably another reason my son doens't sleep well.

AmyinWI
05-02-2012, 08:50 AM
Here's an article comparing melatonin and valerian. Perhaps valerian could help.

you forgot the link.

I don 't know much about valerian- I will check into it.

Hollie in SC
05-02-2012, 09:19 AM
that reminds me- my son also has enlarged adenoids. We were told that with his DS ,removal of the adenoids is not recommended ,can't remember why they said that. But that's probably another reason my son doens't sleep well.

Interesting. Noah's were enlarged and had his removed when his second set of ear tubes were put in around age 3. I've never heard that before. :)

Kellie in NE
05-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Amy-:group: I know what sleepless nights are like! My daughter would sleep for maybe 3-4 hours a night (on a good night) and never slept thru the day. We took her to the sleep disorder clinic and they prescribed her some sleeping pills. These like Melatonin were helpful in getting her to sleep but not keeping her asleep. They also referred us to a Behavioral Therapist who has helped us tremendously. The therapist taught us how to reset my daughter's sleep cycle and now she will sleep 8-9 hours almost every night. We continue to see the therapist to help us with other aspects of the autism diagnosis.

Alice R
05-02-2012, 01:22 PM
I often hear the same thing.
"my child is a terrible sleeper". "he can't fall asleep" "he wakes up and wants to play" "he runs through the living room until 2am" "he has night terrors"

I don't have solutions but wanted you to know that there are many parents who are dealing with the same problems. :group:

Amy Joy
05-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Sorry heres the link http://www.livestrong.com/article/176387-melatonin-valerian/

Jenene
06-02-2012, 03:05 PM
I also have kiddos with sleep problems. We do use Melatonin, but only the ones from Kirkman labs. It works the best..and I cannot tell you why.. but I do know I recommended it to other people who say melatonin doesn't work. They get Kirkmanlabs and wha la... it works. They do have chewable that my kids take, and they have a slo release capsule that will release in the middle of the night when the first dose wears off.
My daughter was having problems even with the melatonin these last few months, so we added benedyrl to save my sanity.... but now we are trying 5HTP and that seems to be working wonderfully.. I just crush it up in apple sauce.

keep trying, praying and don't give up... eventually you will find the right thing for your child. And then you will need a nice vacation to take a well needed nap :)

Linda
06-02-2012, 05:16 PM
My oldest is still not a huge sleeper. Now that she's a teen, she does sleep more (especially in the middle of soccer season ;) ) but she has never gone to sleep before midnight and will be awake around 6.

She is most likely a borderline aspie, she never tested "perfectly" into that profile and we stopped having her tested after the 2nd round of "inconclusive" tests results came back. As she's gotten older, a lot of those aspie tendencies we saw have gone away and I'm seeing them more as in the highly gifted range, so I really don't know what her deal is. :spin: She is very artistic, and all my artist friends said they were most creative in the early morning hours. That's when she would be up magnadoodling like crazy, 2-3 am, when she was around 2 years old.

We've never given her anything for her sleep issues nor had a sleep study done. Now that she's older, maybe I'll see if she'd like to look into that since I know she's super tired a lot of the time.

AmyinWI
06-02-2012, 11:35 PM
She is very artistic, and all my artist friends said they were most creative in the early morning hours. That's when she would be up magnadoodling like crazy, 2-3 am, when she was around 2 years old.

that's interesting Linda! I am one of those creative types, as is my 18yo dd. We both do our BEST creative thinking/work in the late night/early morning hours!

In fact we were talking yesterday about how when we are trying to creatively problem solve, we think about the issues before we go to sleep,and many times wake up in the early morning with a solution.
I didn't know my dd did that too, until she told me last night.

AmyinWI
06-02-2012, 11:37 PM
I do have an update to my sleep issue also.. I'll post it in a new thread. :)