PDA

View Full Version : why do some new skills take so long to learn...

AmyinWI
05-03-2012, 12:44 AM
and yet others seem to come easily?
I am continually baffled with how my little guy's brain works!:lol:

For example.. it took about 4 months to get him to the point where he would sit on the potty chair for more than a few seconds.(he is nearly 5 years old) Now he will sit (when occupied with a toy , about 5-10 minutes ) :clap:

tonight we were outside playing, dh had just taken the little basketball hoop out of storage. I showed him it and helped him to pick up the ball,and throw into the hoop. After 3 x, he did it himself, over and over!!! :clap: I was shocked! this is a child that never does anything without lots and lots of repetition, so it was cool that I could "teach" him something new,and he caught on. I will have to make sure that we do this each day for awhile, so it sticks with him.

Jill in Monrovia
05-10-2012, 03:28 PM
I don't know why, Amy. If you figure out, tell me.

I've been through 8 spelling programs in 10 years and some "easy" and common words still can't be spelled by one of mine. We're still on 3rd-4th grade words.

Jill in Monrovia

AmyinWI
05-11-2012, 11:49 PM
yeah I know.. It was kind of a rhetorical question...

I am just constantly amazed at how my little guy can pick up on certain things so quick..and other things don't click for a long,long, long time. :)

Jennifer in VA
05-12-2012, 08:33 AM
I don't know why, Amy. If you figure out, tell me.

I've been through 8 spelling programs in 10 years and some "easy" and common words still can't be spelled by one of mine. We're still on 3rd-4th grade words.

Jill in Monrovia

Yup Jill! Spelling is horrible subject here! New 7th grader is struggling. I think I might have found a new one (http://www.christianbook.com/apples-daily-spelling-drills-secondary-students/susan-kemmerer/9780975854303/pd/727011) to try with him:clap:

Hollie in SC
05-12-2012, 08:48 AM
:group: I'll add a subtitle of, "And why do bad habits always take just ONE time?" ;)

Progress is so exciting! :clap:

Jill in Monrovia
05-12-2012, 02:45 PM
jennifer, that's one I haven't tried. I think I'll order too. Do you happen to have a current CBD code? Our homeschool fair isn't until next weekend....

Thanks,
Jill in Monrovia

Jennifer in VA
05-12-2012, 06:28 PM
No I don't have a CBD code; Rainbow Resources has it as well, a few cents more, but not bad if there is other stuff you need from there.

I'd call CBD directly to see if there is any codes going on. Sometimes there are unannounced ones.