PDA

View Full Version : How to dress a son for prom on a non-existant budget

WendyW
05-04-2012, 10:51 PM
My son is graduating in two weeks in a commencement ceremony sponsored by our state support group. Tomorrow the participating kids have their prom- a riverboat cruise with dinner. Our budget has been really slim since dh is not getting OT right now, so it's been an interesting journey getting him prepared. Ds is 6'3" and wears a 30w/34i, NOT available anywhere local but Men's Warehouse at $80/pair! A rental tux or new suit was not an option. I think I did well on my limited budget:

Prom tickets for ds and date- $70, no way to scrimp on that!

Found nice new black "khakis" at Wal-mart in a 32/34 and learned how to do men's alterations. $10

New tie that matches date's dress at Wal-mart. $10

Searched the thrift stores intending to find one shirt in the proper neck size and another with the needed sleeve length, and planning to take the sleeves off one and sew them to the other. Found a brand new shirt that fit perfectly! $6

Tux jacket borrowed from neighbor's son. A bit wide in the shoulders, but sleeves long enough. FREE

Dress shoes borrowed from Dad. FREE

Silk flowers to create date's wrist corsage. $4

Total cost of Senior Prom: $100 even.

I'm really proud of what I accomplished. :D

Ginger Lynn
05-04-2012, 10:55 PM
:clap:Way to go!!:clap: Please share pictures.

Shannon P
05-04-2012, 11:36 PM
Great job!:clap:

DD's volleyball coach went to her (public school?) prom last week. She said she cried when she realized how much she spent on it.

Shelly in MN
05-04-2012, 11:51 PM
Bravo, Wendy! :clap:

Cari
05-05-2012, 09:38 AM
Great job :clap: !

Natalie (SD)
05-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Fantastic!

AmyinWI
05-05-2012, 11:49 PM
:clap:

my son bought his prom suit at Goodwill for $10 !! it was the only suit there and it fit perfect- the Lord provided!:clap:
we did have to purchase a new shirt, tie and shoes, but my son really needed some good dress shoes anyway- bonus is DH wears the same size, so they can both use them.

laurie in ok
05-06-2012, 05:00 PM
:clap::clap::clap: