View Full Version : Letter and Number Reversals

Lindsey Carter
05-08-2012, 10:47 PM
My dd is having a great deal of trouble with reversals and directionality. She has beautiful printing, but will write almost any letter backwards or upside down, including letters like h, s, z, etc. She also has difficulty distinguishing between letters that look similar like b and d, p and q, b and p, d and q, u and n, m and w, etc. Telling her about a bed and how b come first in the alphabet does not help as alphabetic order is also sequential and difficult for her. She even sometime writes in complete mirror image.

This is also an issue with numbers. She can count out loud well. She can tell you that 21 is bigger than 12, but she can't look at 21 and 12 and tell which number is which. We have done lots of things with place value (tap down cards, drawing houses, expanded notation) but she still struggles. She also frequently writes numbers backwards (like 3 or 5 or 7, etc). She mixes up her right and left, too.

Any tips, activities, or ideas on how to remediate and/or accommodate?

05-10-2012, 08:49 AM
Lindsey, I know you are in Japan so you don't have access to all the resources we do here. I had this problem with both of my dc, my ds is the worst and still does it occassionally. What worked for us is vision therapy. My children were having eye tracking issues. Dianne Craft's book Brain Integration Therapy addresses these issues if you can get a hold of a copy. It takes about 6 months to correct but the exercises are not hard. Also, there is a website called www.eyecanlearn.com. This works on visual tracking as well. If she struggles with these activities, you might have a better indication of what is going on.