PDA

View Full Version : floundering

Lindy
05-10-2012, 10:33 AM
I always imagined homeschooling my children...but now they are growing up!! :)

What does homeschooling older children look like in your home? What do they do all day?

My 17dd's coursework keeps her busy most all day.
My 14ds keeps busy with models, WWII research, books etc...
My 10dd...well, it's been hard. She doesn't have the playmates that my 17dd had when she was 10 ya know?

What does a 10 year old do all day??? She likes to bake and craft (scrapbooking, cards etc...) But she often seems listless and I don't know what to "do" with or for her.

She wakes up really early because she likes to and gets most of her school work done then. (what she does without me)

Love to hear your thoughts...it's really been a struggle lately...

Cindy in CA
05-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Lindy,

Does she have any outside activities, sports, classes, park days, pre teen group?

My just turned 11yo wants to do classes next year for school. He is already very involved with martial arts and at the studio daily (sometimes morning and evenings). I am noticing he wants to be out doing more. Both my kids do. Personally I am looking into classes for fall and also another hs group, because the one we were in for years pretty much is not happening anymore. I just signed him up for a pre-teen group too.

Can you sign her up for some crafting, baking or scrapbooking classes? Sounds like she needs to get out more, have friends over etc.

This subject has been on my mind a lot lately. I am noticing big changes in both my kids as they get older. Homeschooling is changing, that is for sure!

:)

TonyaP
05-10-2012, 12:09 PM
My littles are all online. We have Always IceCream/Clever Dragon subscriptions and Jumpstart. They have off line activities too, of course, but they enjoy the games and interaction with other kids online.

My 8 y.o. DD really enjoys art, so I try to keep ample art supplies on hand. If I give her a package of Sharpies and a ream of cardstock she's thrilled. My 6 y.o. prefers colored pencils and stencils. They use the paint program on the computer to create too.

Julie Y
05-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Lindy, I am in the same boat with my 10yo. She is not involved in the time-consuming sports that keep her older siblings (and me, as chauffeur) on the go so much. She is content to be a homebody but I am concerned that she is spending far too much time watching netflix on my Kindle Fire. Or playing games on the computer :blush:. In years past, it was much easier for me to keep the older ones productively engaged because we were all doing activities together and because I was physically present. Our homeschool just doesn't look like that anymore. :(

I will be watchiing this thread with interest.

CJ
05-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Since she gets up early, it sounds like she may be a "J" (http://www.mypersonality.info/personality-types/judging-perceiving/)? If so, you could consider setting up a new routine with her. It would help her to be more productive.

Example:

7am up and eat
7:30am start school work
9:30am done with school, have snack
10am go outside (walk dog, swing, work on garden, draw nature, etc)
10:30am computer time
11:30am do a chore, straighten up bedroom, (is bed made?)
12pm help mom make lunch (can she set lunch menus for week?)
1pm educational movie
3pm continuing project she chose
4pm exercise game on Wii
4:30pm read
5pm help with dinner

I have no idea what your options are and time frames are. I'm just hoping to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. I'm sure she can come up with some, too, so it feels like her daily routine. You can set it up even more loose if that works better for her. Give her the items she needs to do and let her pick the order in which she does them. Keep set screen times so that it doesn't get out of balance.

I've had to do this as our homeschool and ages have changed and shifted.

CINDY LB OH
05-10-2012, 04:37 PM
What about signing her up for some art classes or crafting classes? Can she do perhaps do the evening meal once or twice per week? Or do some regular baking?

Maybe she could make some outdoor garden decor like butterfly boxes or birdhouses, or garden stones?

laurie in ok
05-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Could you have her make a list of 10 new things she would like to try? Then, based on what she says sounds interesting - you could sign her up for a class, find a teacher, check out some library books, etc to help her get started on one or two of her ideas.

If she doesn't like the first one she picks after giving it a chance, you have some other ideas to move on to.

Rachel Jane
05-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Could you have her make a list of 10 new things she would like to try? Then, based on what she says sounds interesting - you could sign her up for a class, find a teacher, check out some library books, etc to help her get started on one or two of her ideas.

If she doesn't like the first one she picks after giving it a chance, you have some other ideas to move on to.

:clap:

Cari
05-11-2012, 06:00 PM

If she doesn't like the first one she picks after giving it a chance, you have some other ideas to move on to.:clap: I love this idea! I may give it a try with DS11, who needs to expand his horizons beyond screen-time.

Amy Joy
05-13-2012, 02:17 AM
My oldest is 11 and a bit like that. She is currently sewing at least once a week with a lady from our Church. She has been sewing since she was 7 and this lady who is probably in her late 60's loves having Ellie come over and spend time with her. Is there a skill she likes or wants to learn that she could do with an older Person?

Katie
05-13-2012, 08:02 AM
Lots of good ideas here!

Perhaps, she could do little projects around the house to help? (There is enough here to keep Lydia busy with one project a day, i.e. cleaning a closet, organizing the craft/game cupboard, washing windows, picking up sticks before Tanner mows the grass, etc.)

Do you belong to 4-H? I think meetings are only once a month, and maybe there would be fun projects?

Maybe, she could volunteer a bit of time being a "mom's helper" to someone in the neighborhood or from church? Or, could she "babysit" a young child in your home?

Would your church have any projects that they could use help with, i.e. preparing crafts for Sunday School lessons?

Do you have an elderly neighbor who would like to be read to?

Wish we lived next door so she and Lydia could play! :)