PDA

View Full Version : Writing, dyslexia, & other learning glitches

Jennifer in VA
05-14-2012, 09:41 AM
Hi ladies -

Simon is really interested taking IEW next school year. I'm all for supporting him in learning to write, I'm just a little concerned that we might have to much on our plate with math, literature, spelling, grammar, co-op classes (IEW could be one if it doesn't conflict with the one I'm teaching ~ Eagle Scout badges and he IS taking that one), history, foreign language, and we just received the Audiblox (http://www.audiblox2000.com/).

My thought is to work through Audiblox for the year and maybe in 8th go for IEW. Ugh! To many choices of how to handle learning glitches and getting him caught up.

Hollie in SC
05-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Jennifer, you might want to sit down and try to plan out your week. For instance will you do all the subjects every day. I'm sure IEW and Merit Badges will have some homework, but will the others? Just try to figure out your day. That is what I do when I figure out my year and it is how I usually figure out I'm way overloaded (as I always am :blush: ) and then I cut back. ;)

Does he particularly want it as a co-op class? Would he be happy enough to take it at home? We have used (and finished) SWIA and then Kyle is taking SICCA this year and Eli will be in SICCB.

If home will work and if writing is an issue for him, you could try SWIA which could be spread out over a year. He'd learn the techniques and styles, but it would not be major writing amounts.

Cori
05-14-2012, 10:01 AM
I'd go with what he is interested in and cut back in other subjects if you can...

Jennifer in VA
05-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Does he particularly want it as a co-op class? Would he be happy enough to take it at home? We have used (and finished) SWIA and then Kyle is taking SICCA this year and Eli will be in SICCB.

If home will work and if writing is an issue for him, you could try SWIA which could be spread out over a year. He'd learn the techniques and styles, but it would not be major writing amounts.

Not sure which A is being offered, but my friend who teaches the class "gets" Simon's glitches. Have been asking her questions about it and she said he could easily take the class if he wanted to. Classes haven't been set up yet as to what is offered the first hour or second hour. If IEW conflicts with merit badges, I'd probably go with the merit badges. There are a lot of great choices for him this year. Going to be tough to narrow it down to just two.

I do need to come up with a planner, even if just a rough draft of one to see how our weeks might look.

I'd go with what he is interested in and cut back in other subjects if you can...

Will cut back on some. We'll still be doing Beyond this next year, but not focusing on writing ~ it will all be conversational.