PDA

View Full Version : How do you adjust our fiar lesson plans for child with autism?

Jenene
05-19-2012, 12:32 AM
Hello,

I was just wondering how you (or if you) adjust your lesson plans for your fiar books? Do you read at night or morning!? Do skip lessons that are for auditory learners and very difficult for visual learners?.

How does fiar look for your house?

AmyinWI
05-19-2012, 11:13 PM
no advice, but I am reading with interest!!! My little guy with ASD will be 5 next month.
I don't plan on starting FIAR with him yet (probably BFIAR ) but I am gathering ideas now!
I am pretty sure I will have to do a lot of visual and sensory learning with my little guy. He won't get much out of it otherwise. The great thing about FIAR is that you can adjust it to whatever works for your child!

CINDY LB OH
05-20-2012, 06:36 PM
My ds14 has Aspergers, plus auditory and visual processing issues.

I always tried to modify lessons rather than skip them. I worked with his strengths as best I could and we have had to implement a lot of right-brain teaching techniques. I always try to keep his learning goals in mind as well. He likes to have a set schedule so we always did things in the same order and on the same days as much as possible. I would start the day telling him what was planned for the day, so there were no surprises.

FIAR is easy to work with because it's so flexible, and the stories provide lots of "hooks" to hang information on which has been a huge plus for my ds. My ds is highly visual, and anything auditory needs something visual or hands-on to go with it. So I always tried to have extra library books with lots of pictures, or some kind of hands-on learning to accompany the lessons. I tried to keep lessons short and moving along as well. Small bites of information was way better than me talking too much :lol: Of course, things didn't always go as planned, but we've all learned to be flexible over the years.

I don't know the specific level of your child, but if you have specific questions, or need ideas for adapting specific lessons, don't be afraid to ask.