PDA

View Full Version : Butterflies and FIAR?

MicheleNJ
05-15-2007, 01:46 AM
I am wanting to do a butterfly unit study are there any FIAR books that would work?

Ging
05-15-2007, 07:27 AM
The Salamander Room would be a good start :) Ging

ami*
05-15-2007, 08:54 AM
I am wanting to do a butterfly unit study are there any FIAR books that would work?
Michele,
We are going to row Salamander Room next year in August-September and then rabbit trail on to butterflies. Here are a few things I have planned after our row (I have waited so long to do SR!! :hop:):

Activities
HOAC Butterfly Project Pack
I bought a Butterfly Garden from Rainbow Resource (we'll send off for the caterpillars during this time)

Books
Waiting for Wings by Lois Ehlert
A Place for Butterflies
Butterfly House by Eve Bunting
Where the Butterflies Grow by Joanne Ryder and Lynne Cherry
Are You a Butterfly?
From Caterpillar to Butterfly

Website
http://www.learner.org/jnorth/

Video
Magic School Bus Butterfly and the Bog Beast

MicheleNJ
05-15-2007, 09:41 AM
Thanks gals!
Ami I have HOAC Butterfly project pack and we just got our caterpilars from Insect Lore on Sat.
The book list looks great!
Thanks!

Jennifer in TX
05-15-2007, 01:12 PM
There is a Let's Read & Find Out book titled From Caterpillar to Butterfly. I haven't read it yet, but I am planning on using it in the spring.

Paige P
05-15-2007, 01:53 PM
The Eric Carle book THE VERY HUNGRY CATEPILLAR is also a great book to do with this. You can do lots of math exercises with it. You could "make" catepillars or butterflies out of construction paper or tissue paper. I have some other ideas written somewhere if you want me to search some out. Just let me know.

Waverley
05-16-2007, 02:18 PM
These are not FIAR books but they are lovely storybooks about butterflies:

Farfallina and Marcel by Holly Keller - This book was actually recommended by Daniel Pinkwater and discussed with Scott Simon on National Public Radio. The illustraitons are beautiful. It is the story about a caterpillar and gosling who become friends. The caterpillar climbs a tree to become a butterfly and while the gosling waits, he becomes a goose. When the caterpillar emerges as a butterfly the pair do not recognize one other on the outside. Once they talk they recognize each other for who they are on the inside and reunite. Truly beautiful and a wonderful book on friendship.

The Caterpillar and the Polliwog by Jack Kent. This is a funny book that does a good job of explaining that most animals when they grow up look like they did when they were little - but not caterpillars and polliwogs.

I like these two books because they are story books as opposed to books just giving facts. These books held my chidren's interest a little better.

Have fun. We're ordering our caterpillars soon too!!