PDA

View Full Version : Officially "here"

Tricia O
06-01-2012, 08:02 AM
Well, hello everyone! My oldest daughter is in 7th grade and no longer using BYFIAR, so I suppose I am officially here with her now. A bittersweet moment for sure! She never did finish BYFIAR but as we continue on with volumes 2 & 3 with Katie & Michael, Elizabeth isn't really interested in listening in on it anymore either, although I have said that she is welcome.

We started our new school year a couple of weeks ago & it is going very well so far. Having a routine is definitely helpful. Also, we used the last month of our "summer" break to start waking them up 30 minutes earlier each week, & to get started back on chore charts, etc., which I believe was helpful also.

Yesterday, we took school to Grandma's house so DH could stick around & clean the floors in our own home. Grandma had invited their little 3- and 4-year-old cousins over for lunch, so there was much incentive to get school work done in time to play with them. We started a few minutes before 9 am & they were finished with everything except Elizabeth's science by 11:30 am! :clap: Honestly, I didn't know they had it in them to finish that soon! :D Elizabeth was actually wanted to move on to her science, but as it was a cool experiment I thought her cousins would enjoy watching, I advised her to wait until they arrived. ;)

This is what Elizabeth is doing this year (not all on the same days though, as we alternate some things):

These first 2 things are just done as read-alouds while they color the coloring book for the first one.
Who is God & Can I Really Know Him?
Nutrition 101: Choose Life

Mystery of History - with siblings. It is done as 3 chapters a week. We do the pretest orally, listen to the audios as we are driving around town, do the ending quiz or exercise, and have each child make one index card and color one timeline figure. We don't really plan to do any of the other activities unless they really strike our fancy. We just started this for the first time and we love it so much more than Story of the World, which we have tried to start on two other occasions in the past.

Then these are Elizabeth's individual subjects:
Teaching Textbooks 7 (daily for the first quarter, then 3 times a week after that)
Life of Fred Decimals & Percents (2x/wk) (beginning 2nd quarter)
Studying God's Word E
Spelling Power (3x/wk) (to be alternated with Winston Grammar, but we haven't started yet as we haven't yet found her spelling notebook :perplex: )
Winston Grammar (2x/wk) (alternated with spelling)
Composition IEW SWI-B (with Katie, will start mid-June as we have nature camp next week & VBS the following week)
Lightning Literature 7th grade (skipping composition parts)
Apologia General Science (She loves this so far!)
Daily Geography 6 (She doesn't love this, but it covers a weak area.)
Piano Practice
Typing Instructor (3x/wk) (On order, they all can't wait to start. We used to own a copy but it is lost. :perplex: )

Looking forward to learning & sharing more with you all here! :D

CJ
06-01-2012, 12:39 PM
:clap::hi:

Marcia
06-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Welcome! :hi: Her schedule looks great. :)

Becky in CA
06-03-2012, 12:47 PM
:hi: Glad to have you here.

Jennifer in VA
06-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Your schedule sounds very similar to ours, but our 7th grader still wants to do a few titles from Beyond!

On the flip side - sort of - I looked at FIAR Vol. 1 - 3 and realized we were finished with them! How did four years go by so stinking fast! Youngest will row Vol. 4 in 4th grade and possibly some Beyond, depending upon when we finished. We may finish up Beyond by the end of 6th, so he'll have spent a large bulk of elementary with FIAR.

Heather (WI)
06-04-2012, 12:52 AM
:hi: Tricia!

It's bittersweet, isn't it?! But, I'm thankful that this board is here. Just wish our kids wouldn't grow up so quickly to get us here! ;)

Julie in AZ
06-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Welcome to the "other" side! Doesn't it feel a bit unreal to be here? I'm glad we can continue to share and make happy memories together on the FIAR boards. BTW, your plan looks great! :)

Joy in Alabama
06-04-2012, 10:47 AM
I finished up rowing FIAR with Abby this year. My bookshelves are loaded and I needed to move the FIAR books but I just couldn't do it. :cry: I did move them into another spot, but I cried while I was doing it. I know it's terribly silly - and I feel silly typing it out - but that was the end of about 12 years of FIAR. On the flip side, though, I helped my daughter row a few books for her kindergarten class and I was invited to come to school and read Lentil and we did some activities to go with it (I know their mothers especially appreciated the harmonicas we gave them to take home. :lol:) And I'm looking forward to having Grammy Camp with my grandchildren some day.

Heather (WI)
06-04-2012, 05:53 PM
Joy--totally understand! I like the idea of doing it with our grandchildren and other small groups. :)