PDA

View Full Version : Consumer Math?

Robin in KS
06-03-2012, 09:18 PM
Anyone have any good suggestions for Consumer Math/Everyday Living on your own type of book for my soon to be senior. I have been looking and many of the books say you need to have done Algebra in order to do them. She has only completed up to 7th grade math. Struggling to find just the right book. TIA. Robin

Esther-Alabama
06-03-2012, 10:13 PM
What about the Dave Ramsey homeschool math program? It is wonderful and I see no prerequisites listed for it.

http://www.daveramsey.com/store/kids-teens/-i-foundations-in-personal-finance-i-homeschool-pack-with-1-student-workbook/prodFOUNDHOMEPKCUR.html

Gail in NY
06-04-2012, 09:53 AM
Ive done many consumer math programs and none had to have algebra to do it, even if recommended by the publisher. All my dc did just fine.

(used: Abeka, ACE, CLE, MUS) I may do the Dave Ramsey course with my ds this coming year. I also got Burketts, Money Matters for Teens, but I consider that "personal finance" more than 'consumer math" Just my 2 cents....

ShelleyW
06-04-2012, 10:51 AM
There is a great program at www.simplycharlottemason.com that works on business skills. Not sure if it would be too easy but I will be doing it with my 10 yo in the fall.

Lindy
06-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Math U See Stewardship is their "consumer math" I think it's a good rounded program and does not require upper level math...or if in a few spots you could help them through it. I have not used it yet but have the books for this next year.

Gail in NY
06-04-2012, 06:39 PM
Math U See Stewardship is their "consumer math" I think it's a good rounded program and does not require upper level math...or if in a few spots you could help them through it. I have not used it yet but have the books for this next year.

:yes: this is a very good course and I think I will do it again this year with 2 of my dc....

Shannon P
06-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Reading some of the reviews of Dave Ramsey's program, a few reviewers were disappointed that the teen program seemed to be a recycled version of Financial Peace University. They mentioned the teen program was recorded with an adult audience and not a teen audience. If you already have FPU, you might be able to save money by writing your own lesson plans for it. If you have a special learner, you'd likely have to do this anyway.

Robin in KS
06-05-2012, 01:36 AM
Thanks for all these ideas. I was actually looking at Dave Ramsey's course at the home schooling convention this last weekend but I found out my friend has it and so I can borrow it if I want. I wasn't sure about this because I really think it would be good but looked more for adults. I don't know.
I also looked at MathUSee Stewardship and that is one of them that said she needed to have completed Algebra. So I dismissed it and they didn't have the book there for me to look at. So I may go to the website and look at it again.

DawnD
06-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Have you checked out Remedia Publications? They have lots of that sort of thing.

Lindy
06-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks for all these ideas. I was actually looking at Dave Ramsey's course at the home schooling convention this last weekend but I found out my friend has it and so I can borrow it if I want. I wasn't sure about this because I really think it would be good but looked more for adults. I don't know.
I also looked at MathUSee Stewardship and that is one of them that said she needed to have completed Algebra. So I dismissed it and they didn't have the book there for me to look at. So I may go to the website and look at it again.

I'll have to look at MUS Stewardship again...but I really doubt that you would "have" to have algrebra. I remember a few things like figuring out area and diameter of rooms and how much paint you might need, how much carpet to purchase perhaps that's where they draw in algrebra...but honestly, to me that is just common sense thinking. You can figure that out without making it an algebraic equation. Maybe it technically is but I wouldn't want to think of it as algebra! (can you tell I'm a rebel?) And that would be one of the spots where I think you can just help a student through that in a real life thinking kind of way.

Robin in KS
06-06-2012, 12:25 AM
Oh Remedia Publications looks good Dawn. I think I might be able to find something there. I really like the MUS but without having it in my hands to look at it I just don't know but I think you are right Lindy, I could just help her through some parts. So thankful for you ladies and your help.

Gail in NY
06-06-2012, 07:41 AM
I'll have to look at MUS Stewardship again...but I really doubt that you would "have" to have algrebra. I remember a few things like figuring out area and diameter of rooms and how much paint you might need, how much carpet to purchase perhaps that's where they draw in algrebra...but honestly, to me that is just common sense thinking. You can figure that out without making it an algebraic equation. Maybe it technically is but I wouldn't want to think of it as algebra! (can you tell I'm a rebel?) And that would be one of the spots where I think you can just help a student through that in a real life thinking kind of way.

NO you dont have to have algebra. I have done Stewardship and am going to do it again and we have not done algebra. It is ok. Really. No algebra needed!

Hollie in SC
06-06-2012, 08:15 AM
Have you checked out Remedia Publications? They have lots of that sort of thing.

I was going to suggest Remedia as well. I saw them a few years ago at a special needs/learning issues conference. I haven't used them, but the lady teaching the class used them a lot w/her son who had dyslexia and reading problems. :)

http://www.mayer-johnson.com/ had some of their products on sale/clearance last week. I think Amazon carries some as well. I usually shop around to look for shipping deals. ;)