PDA

View Full Version : Reintroduction :o)

Heather (WI)
06-04-2012, 12:48 AM
Hi!! :hi:

I think it's amazing that there is a special board just for us who have used FIAR and have a special place in our hearts for it, even though our children may have outgrown much of it.

Dh and I have been married 18 years, and we have one 14-1/2yog that we have homeschooled all along. We started our journey with B4FIAR when she was just 2yo (best homeschool experiences ever!), and completed all of B4FIAR and FIAR volumes 1-3, about 1/2 of the volume 4 titles, the Bible supplement, and the FIAR Cookbook. We also completed BYFIAR volume 1 (and have 2 and 3 still begging to be done!), and have also enjoyed using FIAR Holiday and the FIAR nature study (Winter). I still want to get the other nature studies, starting with Summer now!

Our current curriculum we are using for high school is only scheduled 4 days a week, with the 5th day to be used for anything extra, like co-ops, community service, electives, etc. SO, I'm seriously considering and praying about continuing with BYFIAR volumes 2 and 3, and/or eventually "Above and Beyond FIAR" on our Fridays/open day each week.

Has anyone done anything similar to this, using FIAR as a supplement for older kids who are using grade-appropriate other curriculum? I would love to hear your experiences!

wende
06-04-2012, 03:15 AM
:hi: Heather! It is amazing how quickly the children grow up, isn't it! I think my oldest still has letters from your dd when they were penpals 7 or 8 years ago. Wow, time flies!!

While we have rowed and rerowed Volumes 1-4 and Beyond, I still use Beyond sometimes when a book fits into my history rotation. For instance, we are in Ancients now, and dd12 rowed Homer Price because it was a fun Homer tie in. She had rowed it as the younger sibling 6 or so years ago, so most of it was new to her.

Anyhoo, good to see you here! :D

Heather (WI)
06-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Wende! I was wondering if you would remember me! :) Great to "see" you again on here. :)

Did you do the FIAR Christmas ornament swap like 10 years ago? I thought it was you that we got our ornament from? Are you located in the western US?

Becky in CA
06-04-2012, 08:03 PM
I discovered the grad board when I was helping a young mom discover what to use for homeschooling K this coming year. I was SO happy to come back.

:hi: Welcome back!

Heather (WI)
06-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Thanks Becky!! It IS great to be back!! I remember the WAY "old days" when the very first FIAR boards were up, and they had that "tree format", where you could expand the threads, etc. Now I'm a "newbie" again, LOL! ;)

It's so nice that FIAR has this board here for us, because it sort of "gets into your heart" in many ways, fellowshipping with the moms here and sharing all the wonderful memories we are making with our kids. It always feels like "home". :)

Joy in Alabama
06-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Thanks Becky!! It IS great to be back!! I remember the WAY "old days" when the very first FIAR boards were up, and they had that "tree format", where you could expand the threads, etc. Now I'm a "newbie" again, LOL! ;)

I was a newbie on those boards!

Heather (WI)
06-04-2012, 09:50 PM
LOL Joy, I think I was, too!! We had just started B4FIAR when our dd turned 2yo, and I was SO excited and having SO much fun! :)

wende
06-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Wende! I was wondering if you would remember me! :) Great to "see" you again on here. :)

Did you do the FIAR Christmas ornament swap like 10 years ago? I thought it was you that we got our ornament from? Are you located in the western US?

I don't remember doing the Christmas ornament swap, but maybe? I did all the quilt swaps. I'm on the east coast. You introduced me to FIAR through your homesteading group about 10 years ago. :)

Heather (WI)
06-04-2012, 10:43 PM
I don't remember doing the Christmas ornament swap, but maybe? I did all the quilt swaps. I'm on the east coast. You introduced me to FIAR through your homesteading group about 10 years ago. :)

Ok, gotcha!! I think there was a Wendy from MT that was the one that we did the ornament swap with back then. It's been so long!

That's awesome that you were on our homesteading list! Great to "see" you here, too. Small world, isn't it?!? :)

Becky in CA
06-04-2012, 10:48 PM
I was on the old boards, too. I remember there was a definite learning curve for awhile when they switched over to this format. lol

Heather (WI)
06-04-2012, 10:52 PM
I was on the old boards, too. I remember there was a definite learning curve for awhile when they switched over to this format. lol

Definitely, Becky!! :)

Carol S
06-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Would you mind saying what you're primarily using with T for high school?

Linda
06-07-2012, 11:11 AM
Hi Heather! :hi:

It's great to see you around here again. :)

Heather (WI)
06-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Thanks Linda!!

Carol--we are using "Heart of Dakota's" 4-year history cycle for older kids, with the extensions and "beef ups" for high school.

Our plan looks pretty much like this:
~Bible/History/Literature/Art and Music Appreciation/Worldview--Heart of Dakota
(supplemented with Abeka texts for history/Government/Economics/Bible doctrine)
~Math--Saxon
~English/Literature--ACE
~Spelling--Abeka
~Science--Apologia
~Foreign Language--PowerGlide French for high school
~Music--violin lessons, 2 orchestras
~Physical Education--karate (at facility owned by members of our church)

BUT, since HOD is only scheduled 4 days/wk., I'm also adding "Above and Beyond FIAR" to our Fridays, which I'm really excited about!!

(We also have tons of field trips and get-togethers with our (very large) local homeschool group. They provide theater options, too (i.e. plays at the PAC, etc.), which is really nice and we attend when it fits our schedule and studies.)

What do your high school plans look like? I love to hear what others are doing!! :)

KayH
06-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Ok, gotcha!! I think there was a Wendy from MT that was the one that we did the ornament swap with back then. It's been so long!

:hi: That'd be me! ;)

I've done ornament swaps, postcard swaps, flat traveler swaps, quilt block swap, Christmas card swaps.... recipe swaps?

Can you believe I have two high school graduates now?! :eek: Second one just graduated...

I've been missing these boards the past few years!!

Heather (WI)
06-18-2012, 09:39 PM
:hi: That'd be me! ;)

I've done ornament swaps, postcard swaps, flat traveler swaps, quilt block swap, Christmas card swaps.... recipe swaps?

Hi Kay!!

I think I exchanged with Wendy from MT (who I don't know if she is still on the boards). Are you in MT, too?

Congratulations on your graduates!! :clap:

shonda in ca
06-19-2012, 12:57 AM
I remember the ornament! Red and white tag with a moose. :lol:

Heather, homesteading group? That sounds cool! Do you still stuff like that?

Heather (WI)
06-19-2012, 01:08 AM
Homesteading group? I had an email list that I started back in 2003, which covered these topics, and it's still going (but not very active, and I handed over the moderator status to someone else a few years ago). Are you into homesteading? I love all that goes with it, but I live in the city, so I'm limited as to what I can all do. :)

shonda in ca
06-19-2012, 01:22 AM
Yea, I love stuff like that. :)