PDA

View Full Version : What age for the fold & learns?

Angel
05-15-2007, 01:01 PM
My dd is 16 months and she does love books. I bought the BFIAR manual last year at the FPEA convention. I also bought the cookbook. I will have to re-purchase my FIAR manuals because I got rid of them after I finished them with the boys.:sad:

Are the fold & learns too difficult for a 2 year old that is just starting BFIAR? I've already read a couple of the books that we have and I'm starting on some of the readiness stuff. I know she's young now but I'd like to know this information for the future.

Thanks, I'm so glad to be back to FIAR stuff! I thought it was over. Now I get to use BFIAR, which I never did before. :clap:

karendg
05-15-2007, 01:05 PM
I don't know the answer to your question but I just looked at your blog and Gracie is adorable! :hi:

Angel
05-15-2007, 01:17 PM
I don't know the answer to your question but I just looked at your blog and Gracie is adorable! :hi:

Thank you! She is an amazing little girl, definitely an answer to lots of prayer and so worth the *long* wait. :)

Shannon
05-15-2007, 08:55 PM
Welcome, Angel! :hi:
Your little Gracie is a doll! She brings tears to my eyes because our little China girl was right around Gracie's age when we brought her home 2 and 1/2 years ago. :hcry: I know she is a precious blessing to your family.

I don't really have an answer to your Fold-n-Learn question. I will say that I'm doing Big Green Pocketbook right now with my 3 year old, but we're not really putting it in a lapbook. We're just playing the games, and I used the game card images to make a flannelgraph board story, which she loves! We did the pocketbook craft too, and that was a real hit for her! I think she would have gotten into it this time last year, which would have put her at 2.5 years. Hope this helps!

Jen in SC
05-16-2007, 08:10 AM
Angel, :hi: , another mom to a China princess here! :kiss: (Coming up on our 1st gotcha day anniversary next month!)

I am going to use Before FIAR with Betsie too, but I don't think we'll be doing Fold n Learns for quite sometime. She loves books and loves to color, but I'm pretty sure I'd have to do the whole thing for her right now. I'm thinking when she's 3 or 4 we'll do some of them. :)

Sue in MN
05-16-2007, 10:21 AM
:hi: I love your little China Princess too!:kiss: I always wanted Asian children but God gave me 6 of my own so I didn't have time for adoption. Now I am too old so they won't let us adopt any more.:hcry: But I do have two beautiful granddaughters so you don't have to feel sorry for me afterall.:lol: :clap:

Angel
05-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Thank you all. We think Gracie is adorable but we're probably not objective.:roflol:

I plan to start using Before with Gracie when she's about 2 so I guess I'll wait and see how it goes before we take on the fold n learns.:hi:

Kelli in VA
05-16-2007, 03:53 PM
Angel,
Did you make those dresses yourself? WOW! I especially love the Disney princess ones... And your daughter is absolutely too sweet, I could just eat her up!

Angel
05-16-2007, 08:11 PM
Angel,
Did you make those dresses yourself? WOW! I especially love the Disney princess ones... And your daughter is absolutely too sweet, I could just eat her up!

I wish! I bought them off Ebay.

Thanks!

Dawn Gilmore
05-17-2007, 12:41 PM
What a doll she is!! So sweet.

Lisa Schafer
05-17-2007, 02:16 PM
I have one of the F&L's for Big Green Pocket Book. I think at this age, you'd probably want to do the cutting for your dd, and then help her use glue stick on cardstock and in the file folders. That would be good to help her with fine motor skills. In my opinion, there's no wrong way to use the F&L's,...the way you decide to use them is really dependant upon your child.

Hope this helps! ;)

Lori D
05-18-2007, 01:34 AM
I am doing the Katy No-Pocket fold 'n learn with my 3yo.

To me the BeforeFIAR fold 'n learn is different than the FIAR ones(my older boys just did Make Way for Ducklings). I am not really having my ds do anything with it. I am laminating the abc cards to play memory with, and laminating the animal cards to use for classification and to play with. There is an easy pattern for an apron that I think I will do a take on- I can't wait! And there are some suggestions for other activities.

I am not sure how I am going to put it all together, but I would say that the "fold 'n learn", in this case, is more an enhancement than something that you have to have your child "do" or assemble- that would be up to you. I think that your dd would enjoy the materials that come with the fold 'n learns.

Angel
05-19-2007, 06:56 PM
Thank you all for the information on these. I think I will buy one soon so I can take a look at it to use with her in the fall.:hi: