PDA

View Full Version : There's one less unemployed college student in the world today!

Shannon P
06-15-2012, 03:52 PM
DS was offered a job teaching chess in the schools this next year!:clap: This is in addition to his project of starting a chess program at a Deaf school, which he accomplished earlier this week.

At the last big chess tournament, I suggested to ds that he go offer to work for free, analyzing kids' games. He loved the challenge and didn't experience as much "brain fry" as he'd expected. One of the other coaches commented that ds's chess advice was solid.:thumb: More importantly, ds was tentatively offered a job on the spot.:hop:

He will make $40/hour:eek: plus bonuses based on student attendance and retention. (Makes you want to learn chess well enough to teach it on the side, eh?;)) He also has the opportunity to teach private lessons, small group lessons and work as a tournament director. The school classes are almost always after school hours, but the rest is flexible as his college schedule allows.:)

Julie Y
06-15-2012, 04:17 PM
:clap: That's amazing! Since I do know your son and have seen how kind and encouraging he was at our co-op, I'm sure he'll be very, very successful in his new endeavors!

Rachel Jane
06-15-2012, 04:33 PM
:cool::clap:

Becky in CA
06-15-2012, 06:30 PM
I would never have thought that would lead to a paying job...at $40/hr no less! That is so great! :clap:

Julie in AZ
06-15-2012, 06:37 PM
:clap:

CJ
06-15-2012, 08:32 PM
:clap::clap:

Dawn Gilmore
06-15-2012, 08:59 PM
:clap:

Shannon P
06-15-2012, 09:37 PM
I would never have thought that would lead to a paying job...at $40/hr no less! That is so great! :clap:
Masters make twice as much or even more for private lessons, depending on the level of master.

Cindy in CA
06-16-2012, 02:39 PM
:clap::clap: So exciting! :clap::clap:

My oldest is a huge chess lover! He hasn't been playing in tournaments for too long and is still establishing a rating, but is absolutely hooked on the game....big time. Just wondering what your son's rating is?

Does he travel to CA for tournaments? There are a couple coming up soon that Nick is going to compete in, so I was just curious.

:)

Heather (WI)
06-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Wow, that's awesome!!!! :clap: Congratulations!! :hop: (And, the pay isn't bad, either!!!) ;)

Rebe
06-17-2012, 01:47 PM
:clap: Fantastic!

Shannon P
06-17-2012, 09:27 PM
He is rated 1844, uscf. We've considered going to CA for a large tournament. By the time we consider the registration, hotel, etc for a 4 day tournament, we couldn't swing it at the time.

Good luck to your son! What is his rating?

Shannon P
06-17-2012, 09:31 PM
While his pay is great, ds can generally only work one hour per weekday, teaching a class after school. DS is happy with this, as it gives him more time to study. He might be able to get a few private students eventually, but they generally don't take lessons every week, as with music lessons.

Cindy in CA
06-18-2012, 08:46 AM
My son has only a provisional rating with the USCF because he has only played 14 rated games so far. His provisional rating is 1247. He is participating in a one game a week tourney at a chess club for 6 weeks currently, and plans to do the Pacific Southwest Open the end of the month and the Pacific Coast Open in July. They are both fairly local (about a half hour away).

He has only been playing for 2 years. Started with a home school chess class and fell in love hard for the game. We made a good friend that was a Master, but has dropped to Expert due to aging and illness and he works with Nick sometimes. Nick's rating, I am sure will continue to grow as he get more experience.

So awesome for your son. He's certainly on his way to Expert!

:)

KayH
06-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Way :cool: ! :clap:

Shannon P
06-18-2012, 01:35 PM
How lucky you live close to good tournaments!:) DS doesn't have as much opportunity to play now that he's graduated and can't play scholastic tournaments. If he wants to continue to progress his rating, we may have to consider some private lessons.