PDA

View Full Version : how many credits for graduation?

AmyinWI
06-17-2012, 12:02 PM
I asked this question to HSLDA once,and they basically said that it's up to the individual homeschool to decide, but to look at state guidelines .

Just wondering what YOU consider a minimum amount of credits for graduation?
My son has nearly all he needs to graduate next year (a year early) as far as basic subjects, but he is a bit low on "electives" I could easily add up his hours spent on drama, art, fitness ,guitar, life skills, etc. and come up with a few more.
btw- my son does not intend on going to a university, probably a local vocational school .

CJ
06-17-2012, 03:56 PM
24 is the minimum in my opinion (and our state's), but our homeschool requires 26. My oldest graduated on the 3rd and she had the 26 no problem. We think her transcript looks good. She is interning this fall, but may take vocational or cc classes in the future.

Subjects: Credits:
Mathematics 3
Language Arts 4
Science 3
Social Sciences 3
Music History/Theory 1 (we are all musicians so these two are added to our curriculum)
Physical Ed 1
Health 1
Arts/Tech/Foreign 3
Electives 7
=============================
TOTAL CREDITS REQ. 26

CINDY LB OH
06-17-2012, 05:08 PM
We looked at the state's requirements too, and then altered where it made sense for that particular student.

Becky in CA
06-17-2012, 05:45 PM
I'm not even going to tell you how few CA requires. I printed out the different levels of diplomas given through Lighthouse Christian Academy (ACE's correspondence school) and use those as a rough guide. For a vocational diploma, they require 22 credits. For a general diploma, it's 24 credits. They require 26.5 credits for their college prep diploma. Both of my graduates have had 25 credits.

Heather (WI)
06-17-2012, 09:29 PM
Amy, here's what I found for WI requirements:

http://dpi.wi.gov/cal/grad11833.html

It looks like about 21.5 from what I can tell. I totalled up our high school plan, and we already have 23, not even counting some of the electives I have planned.

AmyinWI
06-17-2012, 11:21 PM
Amy, here's what I found for WI requirements:

http://dpi.wi.gov/cal/grad11833.html

It looks like about 21.5 from what I can tell. I totalled up our high school plan, and we already have 23, not even counting some of the electives I have planned.

that's about what I figured, just looking at our local school's requirements.

I think my dd ended up with a ridiculous amount of credits. .. something like 27? My son certainly will not have that many. I just don't want his transcript to look too pathetic... he has learned alot of life skills already, things that really don't "fit" on a transcript..:unsure: