PDA

View Full Version : Progeny Press Study Guides Question

Nancy Ann
06-18-2012, 02:17 PM
I really like Total Language Plus guides but I feel we need to separate out our language arts skills. We need a different spelling and writing program. So I have been looking at the Progeny guides. I like what I see but am wondering if it will just be too much.

For language arts next year (5th grade)we will be doing IEW, Easy Grammar and All About Spelling. I have a list of books for my son to read and also some books I would like to read to him.

I thought doing a couple study guides would be good to dig deep into some of the books. The guides would give us a foundation for discussing and some assignments to go with the books. However, we are also going to do Beautiful Feet for history and her guides (I assume) will have similar to Progeny Press. So maybe it would be too much and also redundant to do the Beautiful Feet and Progeny guides together....what do you think?

Laura Lee
08-13-2012, 03:24 PM
I really think you are doing enough without adding the progeny study guides. I'm getting ready to use Total Language Plus for the first time, but I'm not adding anything extra until I see how it goes. My 6th grader did have IEW last year. This year, I'm just planning for him to do some writing projects from TLP.

Nancy Ann
08-15-2012, 04:28 PM
I went ahead and ordered a couple Progeny Press guides but I think it may end up being too much though we will see how it goes.

I think what I am going to do is schedule 30-45 minutes of our day on projects. So this can be book report projects, maps and activities for the literary guides. So, if I space out all the projects and if each day we work on some sort of project it may work. I won't be doing a Progeny Press guide for all the literature we are reading just two. So, we will see....

I hope you enjoy Total Language Plus we did Sign of the Beaver and I really like lots of things about that curriculum. It really does cover all the language arts subjects, it may be something we revisit we will see.

laurie in ok
08-24-2012, 12:47 PM
We are trying Total Language Plus this year also but haven't started our first one yet. We are not doing the writing out of it - b/c dd is doing Jump In writing. We are just going to use it for vocab, spelling, dictation, etc. It looks like a good fit. I hope it is b/c I bought four of them to use this year.