PDA

View Full Version : Thank you is just not enough

tracy
06-18-2012, 08:06 PM
I have been trying to type the right words to say. A simple thank you is not enough.
It's because of you ladies that I found the help Marissa needed. And when I found it, Marissa and I formed a tight team and bond so she could learn about herself, her struggles and how to manage and hopefully one day overcome. On Saturday Marissa was promoted to the 9th grade. For 3 years she has attended a Bill Gates sponsored school and maintained over 100's in all her subjects. She was a student ambassador for 2 1/2 years. She had the opportunity to speak to and introduce her school to some of the funding partners and other parents seeking a project based education for their out-of-the-box middle schooler. And this was possible because I learned things for you all. :)

At age 8 Marissa was diagnosed with High Functioning Autism & Asperger Syndrome. We embraced the diagnosis. Marissa shouted "there is a name for how I think". ( a huge hug and shout out goes to Shonda for helping me navigate our city's resources)

I read every book I could get my hands on, attended seminars and conferences around the country, met and spoke to leading experts in the field, changed diets, changed learning styles, created support groups, learned about sensory blankets, squeezes, melatonin, speech therapy, Aspie moments and I prayed, prayed, prayed for wisdom every day and the strength to make it.

Today Marissa is a well adjusted, socially aware 14 year old with lots of friends. She understands feelings and emotions of others, has grown her hair out and maintains it with hair brushing, curling, braiding and pony tails....all on her own. (she used to wear old fisherman style ball caps and her hair was cut super short because she was head sensitive), she speaks in a normal tone with inflections and emotions. She has a regular babysitting job helping a mom with her 7yr old Aspie daughter. But best of all she she feels like she is no longer an alien on a foreign planet. :hcry:

THANK YOU to all of you. For your transparency. For sharing your child and your home with us on these boards. For your courage to tell YOUR story. :hcry:
and a special Thank You to the Lamberts for allowing these forum to exist. (I know it's expensive to maintain). :hcry: (hugs) FIAR is more than just a curriculum it's a community of families getting together helping each other educate children who are near and dear to our hearts. I love you all so very much.

Here's Marissa. Affectionately known on this board as M.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/80098387@N05/7397910744/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80098387@N05/7398213314/

Lisalyn
06-18-2012, 08:20 PM
:hcry: :hcry: :hcry:

I hope to come and post something like this in the future about my 11 year old (Asperger, ADD) and my 6 year old (HFA).

Thanks for sharing the photos. She is a beautiful girl. She looks very happy and carefree. :)

Robin in Colorado
06-18-2012, 09:11 PM
How beautiful is she! A reflection of her mama. :hcry:

Kelly K
06-18-2012, 09:46 PM
She is amazing. Congratulations. Thank you, Jesus.

CINDY LB OH
06-19-2012, 06:38 AM
What a beautiful story and beautiful young lady! :) :hcry: :clap:

Would you mind sharing the most helpful books you came across?
And what you mean by "changed learning styles"?

Thank you SO much for sharing your story with us.

AmyinWI
06-19-2012, 08:19 AM
:hcry: what a beautiful young lady she is!