PDA

View Full Version : Apologia General Science Lab Reports

Tricia O
06-19-2012, 07:53 PM
If you do or have done Apologia General Science, did you have your child write out a lab report for every experiment? My oldest daughter has always been writing resistant, and while I am proud that she is much better than she has been in the past, getting her to write lab reports has been a struggle. I am not sure it is worth the tears. She is only in module 2 and I don't want to take away her love for science. She does love doing the experiments. We are thinking about having her writing a maximum of one report a week, and any other experiments, she can do an oral report to mom or dad. Does this sound reasonable?

Heather (WI)
06-19-2012, 08:15 PM
If you do or have done Apologia General Science, did you have your child write out a lab report for every experiment? My oldest daughter has always been writing resistant, and while I am proud that she is much better than she has been in the past, getting her to write lab reports has been a struggle. I am not sure it is worth the tears. She is only in module 2 and I don't want to take away her love for science. She does love doing the experiments. We are thinking about having her writing a maximum of one report a week, and any other experiments, she can do an oral report to mom or dad. Does this sound reasonable?

Short answer: no! ;) Our dd hates writing, too, and I did not make her do lab reports for all the experiments. Some of the experiments are really simple (or more like demonstrations), anyway, and wouldn't really even require much of a lab report.

Rebe
06-19-2012, 10:34 PM
My older two did every. single. lab. report in the book. But they have no problem with writing.

My middle ds will do Apologia (I hope), too, but I can easily see skipping some reports for him. He's very writing-resistant and I agree with you that it could spoil the whole course if a child is forced to write beyond what they can handle. Hopefully by the time high school rolls around, the writing won't be so difficult.

Shannon P
06-20-2012, 12:41 AM
Perhaps you could make a template with a few short questions for her to answer rather than composing a paragraph of her own. That way she still learns what is important about science experiments. You could begin her answers for her to make it easier to finish and to learn how to use a question to compose an answer in complete sentences. You can pick and choose which questions are pertinent so she doesn't have to answer them all.

What was the purpose of this experiment/demonstration?
The purpose of the this experiment was to demonstrate how...

What items were used for this experiment?
What did we do?
What conclusions can we draw from this experiment?

For more advanced experiments:
What is our question/thesis?
What was the difference between the control group and the experiment group?
How does this difference attempt to prove our theory?
What outside factors/errors could have influenced the results?

In the end, I agree with not requiring writing if it diminishes her interest in science. Leave the writing for high school documentation/transcript.

Rebe
06-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Shannon, that's a great idea!