PDA

View Full Version : Fall plans for our special needs kiddos

AmyinWI
06-27-2012, 05:09 PM
Please feel free to post what your fall plans are!

For my 5yo (down syndrome, autism, sensory issues)

- lots of sensory work
- hand strength exercises/ fine motor skills
- working on going up and down stairs
- sign language and pecs
-hopefully autism therapy (ABA ) starting about November
- working on sitting still to focus on tasks
- life skills , self dressing and feeding

6yo and 8yo (sensory)
- earobics
-sensory activities
-brain gym

edited to add:
my 6 and 8yo will be doing FIAR, making math meaningful, explode the code and other various resources. 5yo is not ready for academic work at all.

ShelleyW
06-28-2012, 09:52 PM
Both of my kiddos are dyslexic and have APD.
For my 8 yo, Discovery Program and Auditory Integration Training
For my 10 yo, finish Vision Therapy that we have been working on since spring and Discovery Program. Then on to AIT and PT for her dysgraphia.
For both:
Recipe for Reading
LOF and Simply Charlotte Mason's math program (can't remember the name)
We also plan to row some books from Vol.4.

JuliaT
06-30-2012, 07:13 AM
My youngest two both have dyslexia. My ds(11) is reading well enough now but his spelling is still atrocious so we will be focusing on that with Logic of English.

My youngest (9) is still struggling with reading. We are spinning our wheels with Bartons so we started Logic of English last month and have seen great progress so far. We will continue with LoE throughout the fall. We will also be working at learning multiplication facts. My dd has memory issues so this will probably take up most of the year. I also need to balance things out with academics. Academics exhaust my dd so I will balance this time with read alouds (she loves to be read to) of fairy tales, mythology and nature stories as well as time for creativity-painting, drawing, nature study, etc.

Lindsey Carter
07-01-2012, 02:00 AM
We started the school year back in April, but I thought I'd join in anyway. :D My eldest is very dyslexic and a little dysgraphic. My dd may be dyslexic. She has a lot of trouble with reversals of both letters, numbers and entire words. My youngest just started K and so far seems to have no LD issues. Here is what we are doing...

Wesley
I wanted an easy year (I'm trying to learn Japanese) so I got the Verticy complete curriculum. It is designed for dyslexics and a school in the box type of curriculum that mainly uses textbooks. The textbooks are good quality for textbooks, but it hasn't made for an easy school year. However, the phonics/spelling program has been great! :clap: I love that I can call a special ed teacher with specific issues or questions and get help. :) I think in the future we will just use the Verticy phonics and spelling program and do Beyond for the rest of his school work.

Some things that have helped us in schooling dyslexic kids...
-Bookshare, audio books &/or my mom reading aloud via FaceTime
-scribing
-Raz Kids, fun way to encourage reading practice
-Making posters (instead of writing reports) and Kidsperation webs
-watching videos (youtube, Brain Pop, Discovery Education) and drawing pictures to help remember things
-online math fact games
-Writing out a sample math problem step by step with each step highlighted to show ds how to do the problem (we are working on long division). He calls it his blueprint. Just using his "blueprint" for a little while helps him remember how to do it so that eventually he can do it without the assistance. A chart with multiplication facts listed on it.

I find one of the biggest challenges with homeschooling a dyslexic kid is that he still needs so much 1:1 attention and has trouble working independently. Anyone else have this issue with LD kids?

Adelaide & Hudson
-FIAR v. 1-3
-"discovery box" a box with FIAR go along activities (such as Homeschool Share pages, games, theme related toys and coloring pages) and books. My dc get to pick out what they want to do. My younger dc really like the artsy projects and they are enjoying this. :)
-Math On The Level/Living Math
-Verticy Phonics/Spelling
-Penmanship workbook

Christi in OH
07-12-2012, 10:03 AM
I just have Ronnie with down syndrome. Her skills are all over the place and we have a eager younger brother who's has passed her up already. Life skills are always being addressed depending on how much I want to fight with her some days. :unsure:

We will be doing some B4FIAR books and some FIAR books only using the manual.

Everyday we have an art theme some weeks we might tie in with a book others just free exploration of the supplies.

So Happy to Learn for reading. Very boring for me but Ronnie loves it.

HWOT tied in with the PreK All About Reading program. She likes both of those.

Math on the Level with lots of living books and games for math. We are still learning to count.

I need to keep things simple and focus on more interactions with Ronnie to keep her talking. Plus big brother will be gone this Fall and things will be very different for all of us.

Amy Joy
07-12-2012, 11:10 AM
For my ds6, we will be doing FIAR, MUS (primer), An Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading, Fast ForWord, and Speech therapy, (these 2 thru the ps).

Tiffany
07-18-2012, 09:59 PM
This will be our third year of homeschooling.

For Sam (10, 5th grade, hearing impaired, health impaired, NVLD Asperger's like, etc. etc.):
My real goal for the year with him is stability (emotionally and behaviorally). We will be making more significant dietary changes and also using a parenting program called Total Transformation. I am hoping to get a trampoline! And make sure my kids get physical exercise daily, in the morning before school too. We will be starting Brain Gym exercises, and continuing to incorporate sensory helps in our daily life. Continuing with OT and maybe taking a break from speech and PT. I will be using Sonlight for him. Handwriting Without Tears. For math my goal is to at least lesson his math phobia. We will do many hands on things such as games, dice games, cuisenaire rods, tangrams, etc. as well as using Life of Fred and a little Teaching Textbooks, Games for Math, Ruth Beechik and some other things. I Can Do All Things art. Sequential Spelling. Guitar lessons. YMCA. private swimming lessons.

For Timothy (7, 2nd grade, NVLD Asperger's like, ADHD, ??):
My goal for this sweet one is more cooperation, less resistance and meltdowns. Also working on following daily routines and just daily living skills. Exercising daily, in the morning before school too. Brain Gym, thinking skills. OT and sensory helps in daily life. We will attempt to actually implement some of the many wonderful ativities in Out of Sync Child Has Fun this year. :) He needs a lot of work in fine-motor skills. Five in a Row for the first time! Used Before previously. Handwriting Without Tears. Math similar to above with Sam, except Timothy is a natural at math and was so bored with Horizons 1 last year even though he had never done any formal math curriculum previously. Therapeutic horseback riding lessons. YMCA. private swimming lessons.

For Julia (5, Kindergarten, first time officially schooling!):
She is my typical child. Will do some alphabet work and Five in a Row. Handwriting without Tears. Lots of hands-on math, same as above, and lots of early childhood learning and play. Dance/gymnastics. YMCA. Swimming lessons.

I hope everyone has a wonderful year.

Jenene
09-20-2012, 12:14 AM
My son with FHA we have using a Rome to reformation study, mus for math, iliac writing by dubay, diagraming sentences, primary language, and spelling power.

My middle daughter with autism is re rowing many fiar books, still cannot do the beyond books. Attention span cannot handle chapter books. Math is still a mystery program, so trying mus (she hates it) so working on facts. Writing is HWOT , explode code and spelling words from a independent list.

Littlest one has down syndrome , she uses "so happy to learn "reading and math and writing program. She is doing before fiar and some fiar books and lap books. Mainly I help with the projects... She seems to enjoy it. She uses some HWOT pages. And I choose a theme for the month. So sept was apples. We put up a big apple tree on the wall and count apples that fall (they are Velcro on). And learning how to count to 20. Her days are pretty simple.
She does speech once a week.

Trying to get ot , but fighting insurance ... It will all work out:)

So that is the plan...