PDA

View Full Version : Never posted here before

Cindy K
06-28-2012, 09:42 PM
but my dd (will be 11 in July) has some issues that I need some input on. If this belongs on another board, I'm sorry :)

First, she was a late reader,around 8 or 9. She reads pretty well now. Her spelling is not good. It seems that she doesn't spell phonetically, but by memorizing. Today, I had her spell-small, and she spelled it- samell, for fish, she first did fsih, then fish. These are some examples. Math is a struggle also. She is very forgetful, I gave her a washrag for her bath, I later found it on the floor, not used. If I tell her to bring something from her room when she is finished in there, she usually forgets. I don't believe she is careless, etc. She genuinely is forgetful.

I wondered about an attention problem, but this is the same child that had the patience to hand feed a bird, going outside for months until it happened. She is also a great listener for read alouds. She is very creative. She kind of reminds me of the mad scientist type :D with crafts, etc. She has made handmade bows and is in the process of making the arrows, pots of clay from our creek, life sized tepees from cane growing in the woods, stables for her toy horses from popsicle sticks, (with sliding doors).

I don't know if these things go together, but she also has sensory issues, mainly smells, sounds, feel. If you tap her head, she easily gets a headache. There are many other challenges there.

She also still has accidents at night, several a week.

I just haven't wanted to take her to a doctor over these types of things, wanting to handle this myself.

I know this is long, but again, I wondered if these may be pieces to a puzzle, maybe not. Any thoughts? thanks for reading.

AmandaTX
06-28-2012, 09:50 PM
First, she was a late reader,around 8 or 9. She reads pretty well now. Her spelling is not good. It seems that she doesn't spell phonetically, but by memorizing. Today, I had her spell-small, and she spelled it- samell, for fish, she first did fsih, then fish. These are some examples. Math is a struggle also. She is very forgetful, I gave her a washrag for her bath, I later found it on the floor, not used. If I tell her to bring something from her room when she is finished in there, she usually forgets. I don't believe she is careless, etc. She genuinely is forgetful.

I wondered about an attention problem, but this is the same child that had the patience to hand feed a bird, going outside for months until it happened. She is also a great listener for read alouds. She is very creative. She kind of reminds me of the mad scientist type :D with crafts, etc. She has made handmade bows and is in the process of making the arrows, pots of clay from our creek, life sized tepees from cane growing in the woods, stables for her toy horses from popsicle sticks, (with sliding doors).

My daughter has a lanugage processing disorder and the parts about her spelling difficulites and especially her forgetting tasks you have given her sound exactly like my daughter. My dd receives speech services through the public school and when I was telling them about her attention issues they said it could be adhd or it could just be more issues caused by her processing disorder, but the end result is that the behaviors are the same. They recommended some tips to use at home such as lists for everything and giving instructions one step at a time. My dd also loves to sit and listen to stories being read aloud and is super creative. I always say that the world sees things in black/white and sometimes gray and she sees the world in pink. :) It can be so frustrating and I hope you get some more great advice!