PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosis changes

Tiffany
07-03-2012, 11:07 PM
I posted a couple months ago that my oldest son's dx were Asperger's and bipolar. Except that now they are not. The dev. ped called me and said before she made the dx she wanted him to do further testing with their pscho. She did not find any ASD and said he cannot be Asperger's, although he meets most or all of the criteria, because he has adaptive living delays. And the psychiatrist did not support the bipolar dx of the dev. ped, even though he has many similar symptoms.
So we still have a long list of assorted diagnosis but not those. This is good, but it does make it hard to explain my children to others and find specific help. Guess I just wanted to share that with others who understand this process. :unsure: Thanks for listening.

Linda in MN
07-13-2012, 11:22 PM
Tiffany-

I understand the frustration and the process and I am just at the beginning stages with my son.

What I thought would be an ADHD and Asperger's diagnosis (which still could be), is now brain damage and part of a missing chromosome! I never would have thought that. I am thankful that our neurologist gave us a couple options and the behavioral pediatrician has been so thorough. I hope in a few months we will have a better picture of what is going on with him.

Praying for you and your family.

Blessings-
Linda

TonyaP
07-14-2012, 04:14 AM
I have limited experience (just our own) but I get the impression that the Aspergers and Bipolar are both dx that they try to avoid making with finality until they really have to. I have pushed for a dx, not because I want anything from it- I just want to be able to tell people what's going on without having to recite the whole alphabet.

What I see a lot of in online groups is that the child will have overlapping symptoms or not quite fit, so they get the "NOS" designation. It is a real hassle and sometimes I go ahead and say "They think he may have Aspergers" if I'm in a hurry because people understand that. But my doctors really are unwilling to make that call yet. I suspect there each doctor is maybe leaning in a different direction on diagnosis, so this is the middle ground. Sigh.