PDA

View Full Version : FIAR titles @ space, solar system or stars?

katrinad
05-16-2007, 08:14 AM
Hi, all--my dd really wants to learn about space and I wondered if there was a FIAR book that worked with that theme. I'm thinking solar system, stars, anything like that at all. Thank you so much!!

Janee' in Texas
05-16-2007, 08:34 AM
When we did Follow the Drinking gourd we went off on a constellation, stars solar system tangent- but I can't think of a book that deals directly with space. Anyone else? :D

Mary FL
05-16-2007, 08:34 AM
I don't know about space, but The Glorius Flight could be a precursor book. Check it out and see. There's also Grandfather's Journey that talks about travel too. We haven't rowed them yet, but I love to preview them at the library!

Really, any book dealing with imagination--Salamander Room, Harold's Purple Crayon--these are good too. You could always do space as an add along theme to a FIAR book.

Jen in SC
05-16-2007, 08:40 AM
Follow the Drinking Gourd - constellations

DeniseR
05-16-2007, 09:16 AM
Not a book but http://learningpage.com/ has a solar system unit. It's free to register. We made the mural. I opened up a couple of large black pastic trash bags and taped them to the wall for the background. It was quite the conversation piece especially since it was on the wall opposite the bathroom door. People who visited got an impromtu run-down of planets by dd after attending their "needs".:lol:

Kate K
05-16-2007, 09:26 AM
Owl Moon's science section talks about moon phases.

Have fun!

debbie in ak
05-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Truman's Ant Farm has a lesson on the moon and the stars.

Loren
05-16-2007, 01:15 PM
The Armadillo from Amarillo isn't a FIAR book, but the armadillo travels into space and locates Earth within the solar system, North America on Earth, etc.

Lisa Schafer
05-16-2007, 02:26 PM
You could also do a read aloud with your kids using Beyond's Neil Armstrong. Definitely some space lessons in there. ;) :thumb: