PDA

View Full Version : Book Suggestions needed for North America

Helena
05-16-2007, 11:22 AM
I am planning our next unit. I want to do a continent study on North America.
I am looking for books that cover more of a region then a specific state.

Greenland ~
Canada ~ I thinking Very Last First Time
United States ~
Mexico ~
Central America ~
Caribbean ~

Thank you for your thoughts.

Jen in SC
05-16-2007, 12:35 PM
You could do the Gullywasher for Mexico or the southwestern US.

They were Strong and Good mentions several states. Read over it and see if it would work for the Caribbean too. :unsure:

Angela Paige
05-16-2007, 12:47 PM
There are several that would work for various US regions ... like Down, Down the Mountain, The Rag Coat or When I Was Young In The Mountains for the Applachian area or Night of the Moonjellies for New England. You could do Storm in the Night, Follow the Drinking Gourd, Who Owns the Sun for the south. Climbing Kansas Mountains could work for the Plains states. Grandfather's Journey would work for California and Roxaboxen for the Southwest. I'm sure you could cover all the major regions of the US.

It isn't a FIAR book, but Leif the Lucky by the Daulaire's (used in the Beautiful Feet Curriculum) would work for Greenland (as well as Norway, Finland & Sweden).

I second Jen on using They Were Strong and Good for the Caribbean.

HTH!
Paige

Tammy in Texas
05-16-2007, 12:53 PM
It's not an FIAR book, but Cocoa Ice (http://www.amazon.com/Cocoa-Ice-Diana-Karter-Appelbaum/dp/0531300404/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-7410116-5849709?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179334354&sr=1-1) would be good one to cover the Caribbean.

Loren
05-16-2007, 12:59 PM
Another non-FIAR book, Saturday Sancocho, would work well for Mexico or Central America.

shalomew
05-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Here is a list of books I have by country. Please excuse the lack of capitalization. From Haiti- Tap, Tap is a great book.

haiti tap tap by karen lynn williams
haiti bouki dances the kokioko by diane wolkstein
haiti banza by diane wolkstein

mexico look what we've brought from mexico phyllis shalant
mexico pumpkin fiesta caryn yacowitz
mexico the pinata quilt jane tenorio coscarelli
mexico when the monkeys wore sombreros mariana prieto
mexico senora reganona:a a mexican bedtime story susana sanroman

cuba papa tells chita a story elizabeth fitzgerald howard

caribbean look what we've brought from the caribbean phyllis shalant
caribbean down by the river: Afro-Caribbean Rhymes, Games and Songs for Children by Grace Hallsworth

northpole/alaska this place is cold vicki cobb

Hope you find something useful.

debbie in ak
05-16-2007, 05:31 PM
Try www.homeschoolshare.com They list great books for all over the world. We are finishing up a continent study and read books for each continent...here are some ideas....

Greenland- Call me Ahnighito
Carribean- Cocoa Ice
Arctic/Alaska-This Place is Cold
SW US-This Place is Dry
Central America- Abuela's Weave (I am currently writing lesson plans for homeschool share for this book.)

shalomew
05-17-2007, 09:14 AM
I found a couple more books related to the Caribbean on my shelf. They are:

Fruits: A Caribbean Counting Poem by Valerie Bloom This is a counting poem told in "dialect" and introduces many fruits of the region your kids are probably unfamiliar with.

The Sea, The Storm, and The Mangrove Tangle by Lynne Cherry (same author as the Great Kapok Tree) - This is a story of a mangrove tree/swamp over time in Caribbean Sea setting. Introduces many unusual animals and stresses the importance of these swamps to the health and ecology of water/land features. Very detailed illustrations and endnotes talking about mangroves and their conservation are in the back of the book.

Enjoy