PDA

View Full Version : Seriously picky eater

Christi in OH
07-12-2012, 11:19 AM
My Ronnie is getting more and more selective in her food choices. There are easy foods I used to count on her eating that she now won't touch. She barely chews anything. We had an OT evaluation and she can chew she just chooses not to. :unsure:

Her doctor said she is growing not to worry. Just keep trying to get her to eat a bite of something new here and again. Sometimes she will eat a new food like pink beans and rice in coconut milk...go figure. To bad only she and I liked it.

I feel like a short order cook and like I am planning meals around what my children will and won't eat. I worry about Ronnie and her nutrition. She won't eat any fruits or vegetables. No smoothies or vitamins. I can do the sneaky chef thing with a few foods but that still just ends up being me fussing around for her.

Maybe I just need to stop and plan meals and everyone can just eat what they are hungry for. Lock up the snacks and have set snack times with food of my choice. Once an ST told.me that it takes a child more than 20 days to starve to death as long as she is drinking she will live.

It seems we have slipped into this bad pattern and it ks hard to break out. Thanks for listening and I would love to hear any ideas

Lindsey Carter
07-15-2012, 04:52 AM
My dd is a very picky eater. So I know the challenges that can bring. For me making her eat what we eat just wasn't going to work. You could try it with your dd. Maybe it will work for you. My dd has an autoimune disease and the medication she takes bothers her stomach. I think this plays a big part in her eating habits. After all, when I am feeling nauseated a lot of different foods don't sound good. So you might check into any stomach isues or alergies.

My dd will starve herself. I've seen her skip multiple meals in a row if we didn't have something she likes (when we were low on groceries). My dd is underweight and has lost weight in the past. When we eat over at a friends house I have taught her not to make a fuss if there is nothing she likes. She needs to sit and be polite even if she choses not to eat anything.

If you can't change your dd's eating habits, you can try some of these things that I do...
-keep only healthy food in the house (we do sometimes buy icecream or desserts, but generally not chips, soda, cereal, etc).
-we have a rule if we do have dessert or junk food treat, that a protien, carb and fruit or veg must be eaten first (and we aren't picky about what they choose as long as it is healthy)
-try different fruits , lots of children who will not eat veg will eat a fruit or drink fruit juice (just make sure it is 100% juice and fresh squeezed is even better). Try a big varriety. Try dried fruits. Try natural fruit leathers (100% fruit).
-cont to offer fruits and veg. in a no big deal sort of way. My dc will occasionally suprise me and try it.
-when I make a meal I try to include at least one item that my dd likes. I won't make her favorite meal for every meal, but I might include rice or mashed potatoes, or one of the veggies she does like, for example.
-I allow my dd to find/ make her own substitutions. She may make a sandwich or pick out an a different fruit or veg to eat raw. If your dd doesn't cook you might try cooking some in bulk and keeping it in the fridge or freezer to pull out at meal time.

I hope you find a solution that works for you!

Amy Joy
07-15-2012, 03:33 PM
I have a daughter with a feeding disorder (very different than an eating disorder). She was diagnosed at 6 years tho we have struggled getting her to eat since she was a baby. She is 8 now and still eats no fruits and vegs, very little meat (only chicken nuggets or chicken hot dogs), and some starches. We have to be very careful of food burnout, if she eats one thing too often she will start to refuse it. This is hard as she eats maybe 17 foods. She will starve herself.
She sees a speech language pathologist and would see an OT if we could afford it, instead she sees a councilor.
Doctors don't usually diagnose this disorder as it's not common, however it does exsist. We were able to get our dd therapy by going thru a nutritionist who referred us to a pediatric nutritionist who referred us to the SPL. There is therapy and it helps, but it's work daily at home too. There are actually over 30 steps in eating! Most of us just go thru them naturally or can overcome the harder steps with certain foods, but some can't. If you want any more detailed info about it please let me know.

ETA: my dd has a hard time even being near or touching some foods, this is a good indicator of this disorder. It's not just about eating but also about touching, smelling and being near food.