PDA

View Full Version : High School Courses

Trudy
07-13-2012, 09:12 PM
So, Abbie is only in the 8th grade now but I am planning ahead for high school and I have a question. When I make up my own classes for her such as a cooking unit that CJ posted about in an earlier thread how do you go about deciding what books to use, how much credit it will be worth etc.

Rachel Jane
07-13-2012, 09:47 PM
I used High School Form-U-La to figure out credit hours and what books to use.
:thumb:

It is written in a rambly, conversational way, but it has a lot of good info. See if your library has it.

Trudy
07-14-2012, 12:08 PM
I used High School Form-U-La to figure out credit hours and what books to use.
:thumb:

It is written in a rambly, conversational way, but it has a lot of good info. See if your library has it.

I have this book! :lol: I guess I need to just read it and then implement it! LOL

CJ
07-14-2012, 01:07 PM
CJ, I posted this as a thread too but I wanted to send you a pm hoping you would chime in on the thread. I'm curious as to how you know how to make a high school course. How do you find the best books to use, how to plan everything out and how do you know if it is a half a credit or a full credit. My daughter is almost in high school and it's time for me to start planning!

I research online syllabi extensively to see what other high schools are doing and using. This is a great time saver and shows me the amount of work typically being required in high school as well as what curricula are popular. I also know how many hours are required in my state for a "course", be it a semester or a year's credit. And don't forget how much time is wasted in a public school class. Our home courses easily have as full a load as our local high school and usually much more.

I started looking ahead and doing research in 8th grade, too. And I want to reassure that it really isn't as bad as I feared. I've got one graduate, a junior and a freshman and I now Love planning and doing high school.
:)

Trudy
07-14-2012, 06:57 PM
CJ, wow, I did not know you could find that online! Thank you so much! I am now actually feeling like I can handle high school. :)

CJ
07-14-2012, 08:15 PM
Yes! Just search the subject you are looking for with words like:

high school syllabus
high school scope and sequence
high school class outline
high school assignments list

So for the cooking one, I searched "culinary arts high school syllabus" because I knew that a lot of schools called it 'culinary arts' now so that's why I used that term.

I do that with any course my kids want to take that I don't find thru SOS or some other venue.

And yes, Trudy, you can totally handle high school.
:D

Trudy
07-15-2012, 08:41 AM
Thanks CJ! :clap: