PDA

View Full Version : determining a child's developmental level/Alice ?

AmyinWI
07-16-2012, 09:54 PM
This probably is an odd question,but does anyone know where I could find some type of chart online, or a questionaire type list to determine what a child's developmental level is, or where it should be?

Just curious after spending a day with our soon to be adopted son, who just turned 2, but was a micropreemie. He has some obvious delays, but also has some skills my 5yo has yet to achieve. :eek:
They have told me his birth mother is a very low functioning adult ,cognitively . And they expect the same with him. I'm not doubting that possibility,but some of the problem solving skills I saw in him were more advanced than what I was expecting.
I suppose eventually the early intervention people will be evaluating him and I can get their testing results,but I'm just being curious in the meantime. :)

Alice R
07-19-2012, 10:24 AM
The HELP Strands is a good resource. or just the HELP.

I think Hollie told me you have to have a degree to buy it???? It's like $5. So silly.

PM me. I will help you...

Alice R
07-19-2012, 10:26 AM
http://www.preschoollearningcenter.org/images/upload/developmental_checklist.pdf

this is free. don't know if it's good or not. seems ok on first glance

Alice R
07-19-2012, 10:27 AM
If you are working with infants, toddler or 3-5 children with delays...

The Carolina Curriculum is my favorite!

There are two books with how to assess the child, nice charts and activities etc. It's a gentle book that is not like all overwhelming and will make you stressed.

I've used it with my more impaired children...

http://www.amazon.com/Carolina-Curriculum-Infants-Toddlers-Special/dp/1557666539/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342711858&sr=8-1&keywords=the+carolina+curriculum+for+infants+and+t oddlers+with+special+needs

Edit to clarify:
1 books for infants and toddlers
1 book for 3-5 years

Would be excellent for a HSing mom of a special needs little ones. You can use the charts to guide you along so you know what areas you can work on next...

Alice R
07-19-2012, 10:30 AM
http://www.vort.com/products/help_overview.html

You simply need the cheap chart. It is that simple.

AmyinWI
07-19-2012, 02:17 PM
Thanks Alice!

Now, just curious, how would you adjust this for a premature child? or does that not matter after a certain age?
The child is 24 months, but was just a little over 4 months premature,and spent the first 8 months in the hospital.:eek:

Alice R
07-19-2012, 03:59 PM
The formal answer is you follow the test's recommendations on when to adjust. Some tests adjust for prematurity and others don't. After 36 months or so, there is no more adjusting.

The informal answer, is you do adjust until the child is about 3. I believe it is about 3 yrs where the preemies and the non-preemies start to level out. However, a micro preemie might have life long challenges depending on if there was an IVH, vision loss or not. etc. You are a nurse...you know the info. ;)

So your little soon to be adopted guy...you would certainly adjust those 4 months and there is always consideration in how long a child is hospitalized.

In my head, when i do an evaluation, I ask the due date and count from there. It's the easiest thing to do. ;) That's nothing formal but it does help keep their age in perspective when you think about where a child is and where they should be in terms of development.

AmyinWI
07-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Thanks, that makes sense. I'm sure there was an early intervention assessment done but I have yet to get my hands on that information . Hopefully we'll get an updated one after he moves in since it's a new county