PDA

View Full Version : High School Lit. and FIAR

Ginger Lynn
07-18-2012, 01:37 PM
Wasn't there a thread on here about using FIAR in High School? Or am I dreaming and that's why I can't find it? I was reading on an other HSing board about letting a Hgh Schooler study Children's Lit and letting it count as a 1/2 credit of art too. I instantly thought of FIAR but also thought, "That's not something I could put together myself." So can anyone help me out here and either point me to that thread or tell me if I was dreaming? Also, if you have any ideas on this thought, feel free to share, please! TIA

Ginger Lynn
07-18-2012, 02:49 PM
I went back and read on the other forum about the idea again and this was acutally the idea, "evluating childrens' picture books," and giving 1/2 credit for art and credit for Lit. Sorry! That may make more sense and could be lots of fun. Any ideas?

Ginger Lynn
07-18-2012, 03:53 PM
I am considering putting together a Cooking Unit for dd (9th). I loved Steve's ideas from another post (rowing with older dc). I would use some of his suggestions, but does anyone have any suggestions for resources? I want to tie in history/geography, etc. Thank you.

I knew I wasn't dreaming. Now can someone help me find this post hat Cindy K was talking about? I have looked and looked and can't find it? Thanks!

wende
07-18-2012, 05:39 PM
Is it this one?
http://www.fiveinarowforums.com/showthread.php?t=98634&highlight=older

Ginger Lynn
07-18-2012, 06:31 PM
That's the one. It didn't help me like I thought it would. But thanks!

wende
07-19-2012, 08:16 AM
Last summer my oldest (14 at the time) went through almost all of the Caldecott books. She used a book "Hooked on the Caldecott Award Winners: 60 Crossword Puzzles Based on the Caldecott Gold Medal Books". It had crossword puzzles for each of the books, plus sections to review and compare/contrast the different books. This may be a starting point for your highschooler. To beef up, you could add:

genre study -
identify and define various genres and which books fit into each

Style study -
how have the writing styles changed since 1938?

art study -
study the designer of the Caldecott medal and his other sculptures
study composition and techniques throughout books

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Ginger Lynn
07-19-2012, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the starting place Wende!

Keep the ideas coming. As always, I need all the help I can get.:)

wende
07-19-2012, 08:37 AM
I just came across
Caldecott Connections to Language Arts free online:
http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=114510405

I think HS credits could be earned by having your student teach a class to littles using the Caldecott books. From a typical Course of Study for 10th 12th Grades it could include:

 Literature
o American Lit
o Literature of the 1900's
o Cross-cultural literature
o Folklore
o Ballads
o Literary interpretation and critique
o Critical and evaluative reading

 Writing

o Writing book reviews and essays
o Story writing

 Media
o Public speaking
o Music and painting
o Architecture and sculpture
o Film as an art form

Ginger Lynn
07-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Wende, you are are wonderful! Thank you so much. I am going to check it out now!

Heather (WI)
07-24-2012, 11:11 PM
Wow, you girls are great! I'm loving all these ideas!! :)