PDA

View Full Version : siblings of special needs kids - a positive side

AmyinWI
07-20-2012, 11:42 PM
It seems like all I ever hear about is how hard it is for siblings of special needs kids to cope (and I know it can be) but I thought I'd share a few positives. Maybe there's a difference because my kids were older when our SN kids are adopted, I don't know.... ?

My 18yo dd currently works with autistic children (ABA therapy) she decided on that career because of how much she enjoys her little brother. Recently she shared that she hopes to adopt special needs kids when she is older. :clap:
We were recently at a family function where a distant family member came up to my kids (they had never met him) and started chatting about something my kids didn't quite understand. (he is 13 and has asperger's) and all three of my teens were able to converse with him and didn't get freaked out at all. I think they actually enjoyed the conversation,too.

My 13yodd just came home from a pro-life camp and when a session was discussing special needs adoption, she stood up and told the audience about her autistic, down syndrome brother and how much a blessing he is to our family. :hcry:

anyone else have positives to share?

Laura F
07-25-2012, 10:03 AM
You know, Amy, my dd's challenges are very different from your dc's, but I will say that my dc are quite accepting of others. When they ask why X does X and I tell them, "God just made X that way," they get it! They're also able to apply my answer to their own struggles. Sarah--not maliciously, but totally serious--told her younger cousin who has some developmental delays that her pancreas doesn't work and her sister's brain doesn't work either! :roflol:

Mary FL
07-25-2012, 01:57 PM
Thank you for sharing. :group:

Jen in AL
07-31-2012, 08:07 AM
Thank you for the encouraging personal testimonies. My dd11 is currently writing a devotional book for siblings of special needs children. We adopted our dd4 from China a few years ago & she has needs that we were not aware of, so our family is going through a difficult season right now. It is good to see God use these challenging times for His glory.