PDA

View Full Version : Biofeedback

Laura F
07-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Last year I took my oldest dd to an OT to see what she offered for children with AD/HD. She recommended biofeedback, but we were unsure and let the idea go. Earlier this summer we took dd for psychoed testing. It had been 3 years since her AD/HD diagnosis so it was time for another round. Interestingly, the psychologist recommended that we read up on biofeedback and consider it for dd. The research I've read recommends it for both AD/HD and anxiety, which she has, and shows about a 70% improvement rate; whereas meds have a 75% rate. The results are supposed to be permanent--as opposed to meds. Even if it allows her to reduce her meds, that would be great.

I remember asking on the boards last year if anyone had experience with biofeedback. I didn't get much response, so I thought I'd offer to share our journey with you all. Her first appointment is Monday, and then it's up to 40 visits to complete the program. If you're interested, I'll let you know how it goes!

Cate OH
07-23-2012, 04:28 PM
Hi,
Itís hard to know what avenues to explore, isnít it? It was shocking how much flack we received for choosing this route, not from professionals but from friends and family.

Ds has gone for over a year now. He started going once a week and now once every three weeks. He has changed quite a bit in the last year but I donít know how much of the credit goes to the biofeedback. But the same is true for the dietary changes we have made and the supplements we have added and the curriculum choices we have made. Like the Barton reading and spelling system, is it really helping OR is it the biofeedback OR maturity OR a combination of everything?!?!? The world may never know. ;)

The bottom line is, if I could go back in time I would go through it all again (we had insurance issues and an hour and a half drive on top of the negativity and lack of support). To me any change for the better, even a small change is worth it! :)

P.S.
This post was not meant to sound like a negative one. Sorry if it came across that way! :group:

Laura F
07-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Cate, you didn't sound negative at all. None of dd's treatments will be covered by insurance. It's all out of pocket, but we're hoping/praying that it's worth the cost!

Cate OH
07-24-2012, 05:26 PM
:group: Hoping/Praying, too, that you have wonderful results! :group:

Keep us posted...