PDA

View Full Version : ADD/inattentive

Hollie in SC
08-10-2012, 09:38 AM
We've known for a long time that our middle son has ADD (inattentive type). This past school year was terrible with him and our new one was starting out very much the same. We've tried food changes, supplements, etc. We've seen a psychologist. Some worked for a while, but it wasn't helping as much as we needed. I've felt depressed and frustrated and VERY stressed. I've had a low tolerance for everything. :(

Dh took him to the doctor on Wed. On the way, dh had him fill out a form of ADD symptoms. VERY interestingly he had about 90% of what we saw marked. When it mentioned "has several different thoughts going at one time", he told my husband that sometimes he is thinking of 3-4 things at once. No wonder he can't get through school.

Yesterday he started his new medicine for the ADD and he finished school in 2 hours instead of 8. Today seems to be going well. He is working on his Analytical Grammar test and instead of getting an 80 as he has been getting, he is working in record time and it looks like an A. He says he feels like his head is much clearer. The best part is that while I have seen our relationship slip in the past year, yesterday it was like old times. I'm very excited. Right now the plan is for him to use it on school days.

Anyway, I just wanted to share. :hcry: I'm sure we'll still have tough days ahead, but this is a tool we desperately needed and I'm so thankful that it seems to be helping. We were both feeling pretty hopeless.

Rachel Jane
08-10-2012, 09:46 AM
:group::hcry::clap:

Lisalyn
08-10-2012, 10:15 AM
:group::group:, Hollie!

When we started ADD and anti-seizure meds with my now-5th grader back in 1st grade, it was like flipping a switch! The difference was immediate and still is, even though it took a few tries to get the right ADD med for him.

I just wanted to mention that, after years of trial and error, it really does work best to give the med every day. I only wanted to give it on school days, but with the overload of thoughts going on, he feels so much better taking it regularly and feeling clear-headed every day.

(Of course, our boys are two different beings and I don't even play a doctor on tv. :lol: )

So happy you are seeing a new future for your boy. :hcry:

Hollie in SC
08-10-2012, 10:20 AM
That is good to know Lisalyn. :yes: Our doctor typically suggests it on weekends so the parents can see the difference (if there is one). Since we homeschool, he suggested the opposite for now. We go back in a month to talk about how it has gone. He said that if it worked, Kyle would probably be asking for it. I really appreciate your input. :kiss:

Jennifer in VA
08-11-2012, 05:51 AM
We've known for a long time that our middle son has ADD (inattentive type). This past school year was terrible with him and our new one was starting out very much the same. We've tried food changes, supplements, etc. We've seen a psychologist. Some worked for a while, but it wasn't helping as much as we needed. I've felt depressed and frustrated and VERY stressed. I've had a low tolerance for everything. :(

Dh took him to the doctor on Wed. On the way, dh had him fill out a form of ADD symptoms. VERY interestingly he had about 90% of what we saw marked. When it mentioned "has several different thoughts going at one time", he told my husband that sometimes he is thinking of 3-4 things at once. No wonder he can't get through school.

Yesterday he started his new medicine for the ADD and he finished school in 2 hours instead of 8. Today seems to be going well. He is working on his Analytical Grammar test and instead of getting an 80 as he has been getting, he is working in record time and it looks like an A. He says he feels like his head is much clearer. The best part is that while I have seen our relationship slip in the past year, yesterday it was like old times. I'm very excited. Right now the plan is for him to use it on school days.

Anyway, I just wanted to share. :hcry: I'm sure we'll still have tough days ahead, but this is a tool we desperately needed and I'm so thankful that it seems to be helping. We were both feeling pretty hopeless.

Thanks for sharing Hollie and being transparent! I'm wondering if we shouldn't move that route too. If Simon's mind can't focus on one thing at a time, how will we treat the dyslexia? Something to ponder!

Hollie in SC
08-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Thanks for sharing Hollie and being transparent! I'm wondering if we shouldn't move that route too. If Simon's mind can't focus on one thing at a time, how will we treat the dyslexia? Something to ponder!

Jennifer, we have seen it since he was 6. It was much worse at 10, which was when we tried the psychologist and then started supplements. Some parts like the supplements definitely helped (EFA and magnesium) but when he hit 11 it was too much. BUT 11 was hard with my oldest and then he settled out a bit so I thought it was more of his age. We just didn't see any improvement this time. It was a constant battle. I hated school last year and so did he. For some reason I really hadn't thought about meds. :lol: I think in my mind it was his unwillingness to try hard enough and the pattern of our day (a bad one) we had. We were just STUCK and drowning in it all.

I think that I've been bordering on depression in the past few weeks. I finally called dh and said that at least one of us needed to be medicated which was meant to be a little funny and a lot of truth. Tom started the process and I"m so thankful. For us it has been a blessing....even though it has only been two days. I had tried not to put a lot of expectation in it, but we've been very pleased with the results. :hcry: I pray they continue. And the change in my stress/anxiety level has been incredible. Plus, I see him being able to be the boy he wants to be and he is hopeful once again.

:group: You've been on my heart a lot as I do understand some of the feelings you have expressed. Praying for you and your dh as you try to figure out what works for your family. :group:

BTW Here is the checklist (http://www.sadd.nl/Inattentive%20ADD%20foundation%20netherlands/Dutch%20ADD%20Foundation%20-%20ADD%20children%20checklist.pdf) that I was looking at. It is really long, but we saw Kyle hitting probably 90% or more of them and he probably circled at least 80% himself.

Jennifer in VA
08-11-2012, 11:07 AM
We need to try the supplements again too! And yes the list does describe him too. He was lableled Innatentive awhile back, but we really didn't do anything with it. Now I am thinking we really should.

TonyaP
08-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Just as a note, I have learned in the last year ADD/ADHD effects more than just focus or activity level. For DS, it is an overall "irritant". He can't control his thoughts as he would like, he is easily frustrated, many other symptoms. Medication has made a big difference for him. He likes himself better and can learn better as well.

Hollie in SC
08-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Medication has made a big difference for him. He likes himself better and can learn better as well.

We could easily see this in Kyle on Thur. and Friday. Today he is off the meds (per the doctor) and we can see a huge difference. :group:

Laura F
08-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Just as a note, I have learned in the last year ADD/ADHD effects more than just focus or activity level. For DS, it is an overall "irritant". He can't control his thoughts as he would like, he is easily frustrated, many other symptoms. Medication has made a big difference for him. He likes himself better and can learn better as well.

Agreeing 100%. Putting our oldest dd on meds was the best decision we made for her--academically and in general. I still remember when she was 6 and we took her to a psychologist for testing. She scored a zero on the visual portion of a test, and I asked if she could repeat the test. The psychologist calmly explained that her score was truly a zero. When I asked for his recommendations, he replied, "Medication." I told him I wasn't opposed to meds but I wanted to exhaust our other options first. Again he calmly explained that I had--unknowingly--done everything he would have suggested to try. He told me that his honest opinion was that medication would be the only other option. That's really hard to hear as a parent, but the difference has been amazing in our dd.

I will say that the first med isn't always the right fit. We've learned that dd cannot take an extended release formula because she loses/doesn't gain weight. We've also learned that she has to take 2 doses of a short-acting med (in the ritalin family) every day or she'll have awful withdrawal symptoms in the evening. We've also learned to let her eat whenever she is hungry--even if that means a huge pre-bedtime meal at night.

We are now pursuing biofeedback on the recommendation of 2 professionals. She's had 3 sessions, and the therapist says to wait until session #8 to look for improvement.

What supplements do others use? Where do you purchase them? What dosage do you give?

Jennifer in VA
08-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Some parts like the supplements definitely helped (EFA and magnesium) . . .

We've just started adding in EFA and I have magnesium. We bought it at Healthway. May double check the amount of magnesium in his multivitamin and see how much is recommended for his age.

Hollie in SC
08-29-2012, 08:50 PM
We've just started adding in EFA and I have magnesium. We bought it at Healthway. May double check the amount of magnesium in his multivitamin and see how much is recommended for his age.

Good idea.

Add one at a time to see if it helps. I always have to remind myself of that. :lol: We have some mangnesium from Walmart that didn't help. I had bought some from Accutrition? I think a while back. We added if after the EFA. I also looked at some of Dianne Craft's store pages to see what she suggests for various symptoms.