PDA

View Full Version : Movies As Literature as a co-op

normafl
08-10-2012, 09:38 AM
My daughter will be entering 9th grade this year and we are going to do Movies as Literature at home. I'm trying to ease her into harder works of literature with this.

Anywho....I was thinking it might be fun to do this in a co-op situation, where she would hear other commentary aside from mine lol.. I just cant figure out how. Some of the movies are over two hours long and the co-op time is 45-50 minutes.

So I could spit up the movie into 3 separate co -op days leaving some room for discussion at the end and send the homework home.
It would be up to the parent if the child wanted to complete the work. I dont want to check all those papers as this would be a highschool class.

So I am wondering if I should even bother. Would this be a class you would be interested for your highschooler. Would it be worth it even, as the co-op runs 10 weeks in the fall and 10 weeks in the spring. So this would be approx.

3 movies each semester.

Thanks so much for your input!

Here is the link to the curriculum in case your interested http://www.designastudy.com/products/languagearts.html#1891975005

Hope
08-10-2012, 10:30 AM
I bought it to use with my 9th graders, but I think I am going to have to wait another year before we use it. I think it looks very good. :hi:

Perhaps you could let the parents know that this class would involve a time commitment; you could just set aside the time required to watch the movie. I know that my kids would lose interest if a movie was stretched out to three weeks.

Julie Y
08-10-2012, 10:35 AM
Can you take it out of the confines of your co-op and host the teens in your home on, say one Friday night per month and have pizza and watch the whole movie at once? Then it would be a social time and, at the next co-op day, you could discuss the movie. and some co-op days could be pre-movie discussion days to get them psyched to come and watch the movie.

KarenF
08-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Back in the day, I taught a Film as Literature class. It was a great class for the students and for me! I really enjoyed it and think it would work great for homeschoolers.

Do you have to use this program? What about making your own?

Could you take it to your home?

Could you take up 2 sessions of the co-op?

I would sign my DS up! :-)

Jennifer in VA
08-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Feel a wee bit funny responding since I'm finally admitting to not having good homeschooling experiences with our kids, but!!!!

Can you take it out of the confines of your co-op and host the teens in your home on, say one Friday night per month and have pizza and watch the whole movie at once? Then it would be a social time and, at the next co-op day, you could discuss the movie. and some co-op days could be pre-movie discussion days to get them psyched to come and watch the movie.

Loved Julies idea and yes I would probably sign my kids up!

Leslie Nelsen
08-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Hi Norma,

We have used this curriculum. Personally, I wouldn't do it if you had to spread the movies out over 3 classes. I think you would lose a lot of the content (and discussion) that way. If people were up for it, doing it the way Julie suggested would be preferable.

I will share that my oldest did not like a lot of the movies chosen. I thought that the questions in the curriculum were good and thought provoking in terms of analyzing the message of the movie. I think he would have enjoyed it much more though with some more contemporary movies. That being said, I'm not planning on doing it with my daughter for high school.

Not sure if this is helpful or not. I love the idea of using movies as a starting point for discussions!!! I think that would be a fabulous idea for a group of high schoolers.

wende
08-10-2012, 01:36 PM
We use this and it is a must, imo, to watch the movie all the way through at least once. So you could do the pre-movie discussion at first class, and then assign the movie to be watched all the way through for homework. Next classes, you could just watch portions pertaining to lessons.

Marcia
08-10-2012, 02:23 PM
I taught this is a co-op. I had the kids watch the movie at home and answer the questions before returning. During our time together we discussed the homework. :)

Joy in Alabama
08-10-2012, 04:21 PM
Can I come??? :lol: Sounds like fun to me!

Leslie Nelsen
08-10-2012, 05:49 PM
We use this and it is a must, imo, to watch the movie all the way through at least once. So you could do the pre-movie discussion at first class, and then assign the movie to be watched all the way through for homework. Next classes, you could just watch portions pertaining to lessons.

I taught this is a co-op. I had the kids watch the movie at home and answer the questions before returning. During our time together we discussed the homework. :)

Both great ideas on handling the movies! :) Good luck with it!

laurie in ok
08-19-2012, 12:55 AM

THat was going to be my suggestion.

ChristyM.
09-16-2012, 04:44 PM
My daughter will be entering 9th grade this year and we are going to do Movies as Literature at home. I'm trying to ease her into harder works of literature with this.

Anywho....I was thinking it might be fun to do this in a co-op situation, where she would hear other commentary aside from mine lol.. I just cant figure out how. Some of the movies are over two hours long and the co-op time is 45-50 minutes.

So I could spit up the movie into 3 separate co -op days leaving some room for discussion at the end and send the homework home.
It would be up to the parent if the child wanted to complete the work. I dont want to check all those papers as this would be a highschool class.

So I am wondering if I should even bother. Would this be a class you would be interested for your highschooler. Would it be worth it even, as the co-op runs 10 weeks in the fall and 10 weeks in the spring. So this would be approx.

3 movies each semester.

Thanks so much for your input!

Here is the link to the curriculum in case your interested http://www.designastudy.com/products/languagearts.html#1891975005

Never mind. :) We ditched this....

normafl
10-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Hey y'all sorry it took me a bit to get back to you! So I was talking to my husband about this and he decided it would be a fun thing to do with her. So he has taken this on and its been really fun to see them watching the movies and discussing the questions so its worked out ok? I still think it would be fun to do in a co-op thou:)