PDA

View Full Version : Can you tell me what your freshman in highschool is doing?

Jennifer Unsell
08-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Or has done in the past.

We are just entering the high school years in our homeschooling so keeping transcripts and all that goes along with it is all new to us. While I know everyone's studies will look different depending on their child's interests, etc.- I am trying to gain a better picture of what high school can and should look like. If that makes sense? Feeling a little overwhelmed as I try to pull it all together and see the big picture for the next 4 years.

Joy in Alabama
08-10-2012, 04:17 PM
You need to know that I'm pretty easy-going with high school because Carrie has no plans to go to college. She's thinking about culinary school. So for 9th grade she used:

Easy Grammar and IEW because I still want to have grammar until 11th grade and she needs lots of writing practice. For 10th grade, I have added a formal lit. program.

Algebra I (finished it) and started algebra II

TruthQuest World/American History. It will take us 3 years to finish and I will give her 3 world and 3 American history credits. She already had one credit from world geo which we did in 8th grade.

For science, I put together an anatomy course. Then I used that to go into a 1/2 credit health course. Then, since we had studied herbal medicine, I decided to put together a botany course for this year, which includes a botany course and nature study with Abby, who is in 5th grade. Some of the work they will do together. And I found a nature craft book that looked so intriguing, we have chosen to use some of the projects, plus some others, to do a 1/2 credit art course, also for 10th grade.

Home ec, which was working on cooking meals this past year. She loves to sew and do crafts and we started reading Emily Post's etiquette book.

She has Bible, fiddle lessons, and belongs to a co-op for choir and social activities.

Jen, I'll be happy to help you any way I can. We could meet or talk on the phone, if you'd like to sometime.

Marcia
08-10-2012, 07:02 PM
This is basically what it looked like for my four:

English/Literature 9
Algebra 1 or 2 or Geometry (differed for each child)
Earth Science or Biology
Geography/Social Studies
PE

Variety of Electives:
Music
Dance
Computer Lit
Health
Foreign Language
Drama/Theater
Art
Photoshop
Video Production

Electives varied for each child.
Robotics

Alicia
08-11-2012, 05:58 AM
This is what my ds did last year as a freshman ~

English/Reading ~ Classical Literature
Latin
Geometry
History
Biology
Bible
Choir
Sports ~ Swimming, football, basketball teams

Rachel Jane
08-11-2012, 06:29 AM
9th:

Algebra one ~ Life of Fred and supplements from the internet
One Year Adventure Novel or The Lord of the Rings (we went back and forth between the two and took two years)
Biology ~ Apologia/internet
Royals to Revolutions ~ WinterPromise
Government and Economics ~ Blue Sticking Press
PE ~ karate, 6 classes (4 days) a week

electives (depending on which child):
violin
piano
drama
sailing (study of and building a sailboat which has yet to be put in the water!)
recording books on cd
videography for dog sports
assisting in therapy dog testing

wende
08-11-2012, 10:11 AM
This highschool thing is new to me and a bit overwhelming too.

First, I sat down with a few courses of study and came up with a plan for 9th -12th. (see attached)

Then I broke up the plan into four year chunks.

dd15 is in 9th. We school year round and will move to 10th probably in March. I attached my 9th grade course of study in next post.

If you want other specifics, feel free to ask.

wende
08-11-2012, 10:14 AM

First, I sat down with a few courses of study and came up with a plan for 9th -12th. (see attached)

dd15 is in 9th. We school year round and will move to 10th probably in March. I attached my 9th grade course of study in next post.

9th grade course of study (had to play w/ doc to post, hope you can see it ok)

Hollie in SC
08-11-2012, 10:34 AM

This looks like 2 Social Studies credits in one year. :) How did you count these? As is--history and Gov/Econ? If so, did they skip a history later on? I'm just curious and love to see different options. :)Thanks!

Hope
08-11-2012, 12:48 PM
I will have 2 9th graders this year. We will be using Illuminations 1 by Bright Ideas Press.

English
Literature
Ancient History
Physical Geography
Physical Science
Pre-Algebra
PE

Electives:
Art
Guitar
Home Ec.
Life 101

Cari
08-11-2012, 02:10 PM
DD15's going into 11th this year :eek: but I think I remember mostly what she did :unsure:.

English ~ Poetry & Creative Writing with our co-op, occasional workbook pages in Easy Grammar and Apples Spelling Drills for Secondary Students.

Science ~ Geology with our co-op; would have preferred biology but that was being offered her 10th grade year so we went with the flow.

Social Studies ~ We did a literature-based Pennsylvania state history course.

Math ~ Math U See Algebra 1

Food preparation and safety ~ an Abeka course she found that fit with her interests.

Worship Guitar

1/2 credit Art with our co-op
1/2 credit Phys Ed

Trying to remember what DD18 did but that's a longer time period to stretch my mind to :lol:: She actually did a heavier load than my more academically-minded DD15, just because I really didn't know any better :unsure:.

English ~ Sonlight World History's literature component; public speaking and writing classes with co-op.

Science ~ Biology 101 biology curriculum

Social Studies ~ Sonlight World History

Math ~ Algebra 1 (I think Teaching Textbooks) into 10th grade year

Digital Photography

French 1 ~ Rosetta Stone

1/2 credit in Psychology ~ co-op
1/2 credit in Nutrition/Healthy Cooking ~ co-op
1/2 credit in Instrumental music ~ co-op
1/2 credit in Phys Ed ~ co-op & sports

And DS11's 9th grade year probably won't look like either one of theirs.

Rachel Jane
08-11-2012, 02:11 PM
Hollie, we just threw them on the transcript where we saw that it fit. :D Luke and Jeremy were both interested in the govt and econ, so we did it.

Heather (WI)
08-11-2012, 07:01 PM
9th:

Algebra one ~ Life of Fred and supplements from the internet
One Year Adventure Novel or The Lord of the Rings (we went back and forth between the two and took two years)
Biology ~ Apologia/internet
PE ~ karate, 6 classes (4 days) a week

electives (depending on which child):
violin
piano
drama
sailing (study of and building a sailboat which has yet to be put in the water!)
recording books on cd
videography for dog sports
assisting in therapy dog testing

RJ, your plan looks a lot like ours did last year! (including violin and karate!) ;)
How did you like the Life of Fred Algebra? We have Saxon here for this year, but I know dd would definitely prefer LOF. Did you feel it was enough? How did your kid(s) do with it if you did any testing or further math?

Heather (WI)
08-11-2012, 07:04 PM
We're doing 10th this year, but last year we had:

Heart of Dakota (Resurrection to the Reformation)--Bible, history, literature, art, poetry, etc.
(added some Abeka history and literature to "beef up" for high school credit)
Saxon Pre-Algebra
Apologia Physical Science
ACE English
Abeka Spelling
Abeka High School Health
Power-Glide French for High School
violin lessons/orchestra
(karate started in spring)

Rachel Jane
08-11-2012, 07:10 PM
My kids are good at math and read books like How to Lie with Statistics as pleasure reads, so I don't know if LOF is enough. They like to play with numbers. I do know that J did very well on the math portion of the SAT and when he took the college placement tested, he tested up to and including trigonometry, which is exactly how far he studied LOF.

Heather (WI)
08-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Oh wow, that's great that your kids love math! (Mine HATES it--since 1st grade.) :(
We've tried almost everything--MathUSee, Abeka, Teaching Textbooks, LOF (used as a review of percents/decimals, fractions, and pre-algebra with biology), ACE, and now Saxon.

Abeka worked really well until about 6th grade, when it started moving too fast. TT put us way behind (after being a year or two ahead in Abeka), ACE was ok, but their math is not updated since the 80's or 90's, LOF was good, but she tested low on math on the ITBS (mostly because it was timed, and she could do it, but not as fast). Saxon is working fairly well, but it is dry and even I think the Saxon Teacher DVD seems boring and slow. I was considering going back to LOF Algebra this year instead, but wasn't sure if it would be enough. She wants to be a Vet. Tech., so she doesn't need a ton of college math or anything.

(Sorry to hi-jack the thread--didn't mean to!)

Tricia O
08-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Did any of you combine your high school students for certain subjects if you had more than one in high school at the same time?

Rachel Jane
08-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Did any of you combine your high school students for certain subjects if you had more than one in high school at the same time?

My boys are a little less than two years apart in age. We did everything except science and math together.

Hope
08-11-2012, 10:05 PM

My two 9th graders will be doing all the same core classes. The only differences will be in the electives they choose.

Marcia
08-12-2012, 12:06 PM

Yes, my two oldest are one grade apart, and we did many subjects together.

Anjie in PA
08-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Erin is in 9th this year. Here is what she's doing:

Physical Science (at a local co-op, using Apologia)
Algebra II (books 9 and 10 of Key to Algebra, then Abeka Alg. II)
Social Studies and English - we're waiting on Diana Waring's new curriculum for 1800 to modern history
Also for English - Word Roots from Critical Thinking, individual reading and read-alouds, working through a list of 500 most misspelled words
Also for Social Studies - geography games on Sheppard Software
Beginning Italian
possibly voice lessons ...?

My girls are two or three grades apart (depending on how you look at it ...) and we've always done as much together as we can. Now, that's mostly English and Social Studies.

Nedra in California
08-12-2012, 11:27 PM
For my 9th grade college bound daughter:

Bible in a Year - New King James
Queens Language Lessons, Literature
Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1
Apologia Physical Science
Medieval History (literature approach, several topic field trips)
Art/Drawing (How Great Thou Art)
Photography
ASL 1 (outside class)
P.E. - Volleyball (Aug. - Oct.) Basketball (Nov. - March) Track and Field (April - May), 100 Mile Club
Nature study/notebooking

CJ
08-12-2012, 11:55 PM
When our kids start high school, they sign a contract and they know what the requirements are - based on our state. As in, 3 years of math, 4 years of social studies, etc. It keeps us on track for graduation, but also gives them some flexibility for what they'd like to do.

I have a freshman for the 3rd time starting next month. We do 7 courses a year.

He is doing:

1. Algebra
2. English 9
3. Earth Science
4. U.S. History
5. Upholstery
6. Music History
7. PE

Jennifer Unsell
08-13-2012, 10:52 PM
Thank you guys so much for sharing! I am reading and re-reading everyone's posts as I try to get a picture for us.

Joy- I just may call you soon to talk. Thank you for being willing. :group:

Christi in VA
08-14-2012, 02:55 PM
I'm watching and saving info for future use, Jen. I almost emailed you the other day to ask you to post more about what you're doing in high school. I'm anxious to see what you come up with :)

Susan Seaman
08-15-2012, 02:56 PM
My 9th grader is taking:

Biology (at co-op)
Algebra II (I will tutor)
Lit. and Composition (at co-op)
World Geography (at co-op)
Personal Finance (at co-op)
American Government (with Venture Scout Crew)
Construction Science (with Dad)
PE (Cross-Country Team)

Extras at home: Bible and Devotions, Read-Alouds, Politics (to go along with Government credit), Stossel in the Classroom (economic videos to discuss as a family), Logic (Thinking Toolbox) Memory Work (we do poetry memorization, scripture memorization, and I think I'm going to add some math formula memorization as well)

These "extras" will amount to about 1.5 - 2 hours per day. It is the time we spend together (all the boys - 7th, 9th and 10th graders). Then I tutor them separately on math and they spend the rest of the day doing co-op homework.

Becky in CA
08-15-2012, 03:16 PM
The basic 9th grade outline we have is:

English I
Math
World Geography
Science
Health
Electives

It has looked different with each dc. However, with Jeffrey last year, we used ACE English but switched to LLATL before the year was done. TT Pre-algebra and started TT Algebra 1. ACE Earth Science (due to where he was in math). World Geography & You (Steck-Vaughn) with missionary studies. ACE Health. Latin's Not So Tough.

Heather W
08-18-2012, 11:39 AM
I will have a 9th grader this year and so far this is what I have planned:

Algebra II- Life of Fred which is working very well for us. He started this one at the end of 8th so he may start geometry as well.
One Year Adventure Novel- we will finish the second half of this course
American Government- formation and electoral process
Chemistry- I am fairly certain we'll do chemistry as a freshman. The younger kids will be have a chemistry focus so this is a good year for E13 to do chemistry.
Latin
Writing- other forms of process writing will happen through his American Gov class. The OYAN is more creative writing.

Extras include:

First Lego League team
co-op

So far that is what I have. For American Gov and chemistry I have charging ahead on my own. We'll use some biographies and other resources for the government class and chemistry will happen through some younger curriculum which will provide an outline- one of them is Real Science 4 Kids. As I thumbed through it, the second level is for first year high school and includes a lot of things I used to see at Chemistry II. Between my husband (the chemical engineer) and I chemistry will be a full course.

Our focus has been on finding a house and moving. Next week we go on vacation so after that I am hoping to really nail down the rest of the plan and get our course outlines set. We'll start just after Labor Day this year.

Jen in SC
08-18-2012, 09:00 PM
My 9th grader is going to a public charter high school this year, but here is what she is taking:

Algebra 1
Physical Science
English 1
Spanish 1
PE
Global Studies (history and geography combined)
Computer apps/Digital Literacy
Freshman Success (counts as an elective and is required for all 9th graders. Covers things like test taking skills, giving oral presentations, etc.)

Laura Lee
08-29-2012, 09:02 PM
You can do it. I was really nervous before we got started too. And now I'm happy with how this year is starting.

I did have my son do English 1 early and 9th grade World Geography we did last year because we had just finished a U.S. history course at co-op in 7th grade and that was what was coming up again. When I talked to our HS association, she said we should just go ahead with the geography. That being said, here's our schedule for this year.

Algebra 1
Computer Lab (Teen Coder Java Programming)
Physical Science
IEW C
Spanish 1
Logic
PE
Music Keyboarding

VeronicainVA
09-01-2012, 01:48 PM

Wende, did you include Foreign Language? I am wondering how to fit this in?

Thanks for posting Jen because we are in the same boat and it does feel overwhelming.:)

wende
09-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Wende, did you include Foreign Language? I am wondering how to fit this in?

Thanks for posting Jen because we are in the same boat and it does feel overwhelming.:)

I don't require it because my dd15 has always been interested in learning foreign languages and does this on her own. She is currently using
Living Language German.

VeronicainVA
09-01-2012, 07:24 PM
Thanks Wende! Good 4 her:):clap: